Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #53,296 of 75,251
Hi, anyone can suggest me annuograde to my current Openheart earbuds.
Im leaning toward Toneking TO400s, Hessian Ansata pro (looks like ISN Rambo II) or Toneking Dendroaspis.
Looking for big soundstage and imaging, great details and mid, balanced bass.
Price below 100€.

thanks!
Cloud talk about the Dendroaspis. is a good earbud but is not suitable for all genres. Is great for classical, jazz, and OST. In genres like pop or rock, not the best earbud. They have good imaging and sublime mids and highs in my opinion, the bass is the weaker point if you like especially their presence.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #53,297 of 75,251
Thanks, cant see review, it ask to sign up...
Seeing you own ST-10s Gold, Dendroaspis Viridis. Whats your opinion on these?
ST-10s Gold: easy to drive, good bass in my opinión. More versatile for all genres.

Dendroaspis: Rapid bass, not for bassheads. Ideal for Classical, jazz, and OST. If you love mids and highs it's your choice.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #53,298 of 75,251
Cloud talk about the Dendroaspis. is a good earbud but is not suitable for all genres. Is great for classical, jazz, and OST. In genres like pop or rock, not the best earbud. They have good imaging and sublime mids and highs in my opinion, the bass is the weaker point if you like especially their presence.
I second the thoughts about Dendroaspis. Mids and highs are very good but bass is pretty light and I wouldn't even count myself as a basshead. Full foams take away from its strengths in the mids, donuts dont provide enough bass. Not an all rounder but good at certain genres.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #53,300 of 75,251
Has anyone tried any true wireless earbuds?
I have a pair of yincrow x6 that I enjoy very much but just died on me and was thinking of going wireless but hoping to maintain a similar sound quality.
For the price difference, I do not recommend it. is a better option buy a new wired earbud or a new yincrow with MMCX. I had the Sennheiser momentum TWS and the experience was horrible. Drain battery, connection problems, and sound quality don't justify the price.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #53,301 of 75,251
Has anyone tried any true wireless earbuds?
I have a pair of yincrow x6 that I enjoy very much but just died on me and was thinking of going wireless but hoping to maintain a similar sound quality.

TWS sets are more for convenience rather than for sound quality when compared with wired gear. I do use TWS but haven't found one that matches wired gear in performance.

TWS also can be bottlenecked in these two areas, and may become obsolete in a few months:
1) battery life - tends to go down with repeated charges
2) bluetooth codec/tech

If u want a good compromise, u can consider a BT adapter, something like the TRN BT20, TRN TB20S, TRN BT20S Pro and iBasso CF01. They basically allow you to use a detachable earbud with these adapters, so u can preserve the sound quality of the IEM/earbud you like. Even if the BT tech or battery goes outdated, you can keep your favourite earbud/IEM and reuse it.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #53,302 of 75,251
ST-10s Gold: easy to drive, good bass in my opinión. More versatile for all genres.

Dendroaspis: Rapid bass, not for bassheads. Ideal for Classical, jazz, and OST. If you love mids and highs it's your choice.

I second the thoughts about Dendroaspis. Mids and highs are very good but bass is pretty light and I wouldn't even count myself as a basshead. Full foams take away from its strengths in the mids, donuts dont provide enough bass. Not an all rounder but good at certain genres.

thanks both.
I would not epect great bass performance, i mostly listen to progressive rock and progressive metal but i dislike bass being too prominent. My focus is on big soundstage, clear details and overall balanced presentation.

therefore maybe to400 and Dendroaspis could be still ok. In between the two i cant choose now, but i will be using a fiio amp with my lg v20.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #53,303 of 75,251
thanks both.
I would not epect great bass performance, i mostly listen to progressive rock and progressive metal but i dislike bass being too prominent. My focus is on big soundstage, clear details and overall balanced presentation.

therefore maybe to400 and Dendroaspis could be still ok. In between the two i cant choose now, but i will be using a fiio amp with my lg v20.

The bass from Dendroaspis is simply underwhelming for those genres you listen to. They catered more for classical, jazz or vocals.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #53,304 of 75,251
The bass from Dendroaspis is simply underwhelming for those genres you listen to. They catered more for classical, jazz or vocals.
Uhm...in that case TO400...?
Or Ansata pro?
Or Smabat ST10s silver (but a bit over m bdg)?

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #53,305 of 75,251
Uhm...in that case TO400...?
Or Ansata pro?
Or Smabat ST10s silver (but a bit over m bdg)?

I have never heard the rest to formally comment, but based on other reviews TO400 does not seem to have as much bass as well. Ansata Pro is also anybody's guess.

You may want to look into TO180 or TO200? Reviews make them out to have more bass. TO600 might be too high impedance for your setup.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #53,306 of 75,251
Actually earbuds can have quite good midbass quantities (I consider midbass as 60 -200 Hz frequencies), but most are weak in subbass extension (below 60 Hz), other than the Smabat types which have labryinth design to increase the subbass.

The midbass provides the slam AKA punch AKA thickness in the bass frequencies and are the basslines that one can hear in music when a double bass or bass is playing, whereas the subbass are in general more "felt" rather than "heard" as a visceral rumble. So it is this rumble that is lacking in earbuds, cause subbass frequencies are usually the first to be lost in poorer isolation, so that is a usual design issue for most earbuds, hence the lack of subbass in earbuds in general.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #53,308 of 75,251
Can anyone suggest earbuds similar to the Headroom MS16, but a closed-back design? I.e semi in-ear, wired, button controls + mic, <$20 USD, and great sound for the price.
Nearly all true earbuds are open-back by design. Utilizing various types of port systems and shell types (which sit outside of the ear canal) to accomplish this. So technically a closed-back earbud would be an IEM which fully seals within the ear canal.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #53,309 of 75,251
I see there has been an influx of people coming in with different expectations of what earbuds actually are. They are unlike headphones whereby you can have a closed back or open back version.

They also do not sit inside the ear canal at all, not even "semi". For those, one may as well go fully in ears with IEMs or customs.

The beauty of earbuds is their open sound through somewhat of an unobtrusive fit, however sacrificing some mid bass due to lack of isolation. Again, that was why IEMs were created and the market moved over from earbuds.

So choose between IEMs or Earbuds. Having something in between does not seem to serve any beneficial points at all? I.e. Somebody posted a so called Bose "closed back" earbuds a few days back, but could not recommend them for the sound. I think that speaks volumes of such a category and the restrictions of creating one.

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #53,310 of 75,251
Totally agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back