Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 18, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #45,436 of 75,148
decided to pick u p another Willsound MK2 but in MMCX and a Willsound MK32 in 8 braid JVC

Any experience with the MK32 verus the MK2 MMCX
I saw a couple older reviews here

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #45,437 of 75,148
I hadn't listened to my Ourart ACG for a few days. Had put a Nicehck 16 core red and white mixed MMCX cable on them and listened to the Tupac track , Ambitionz Az a Ridah, and Nitin Sawhney's, Anthem Without Nation. Very interesting. Anyone who thinks the ACG does not have much bass is mistaken. Although they do fit exceptional well in my ears and make a good seal, the bass is very much there. They are a very special bud and if you get the chance try them.

It's just mythology that buds don't have bass. Listening on a FiiO M9 and a Samsung S9 Exynos plus phone.

they are a bit lacking in the sub bass but mid bass is there, the bass is very tight and fast, very similar to BA woofer

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #45,439 of 75,148
@seanc6441 If I remember correctly you modded RY4S UE in the past. Do you think it uses EMX500 drivers? Because I opened mine few days ago and by the looks they are exactly the same as EMX500 drivers sold at aliexpress. I actually wait for a pair of those so I'll be able to compare them in a few weeks but I'm interested in your opinion.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #45,440 of 75,148
@seanc6441 If I remember correctly you modded RY4S UE in the past. Do you think it uses EMX500 drivers? Because I opened mine few days ago and by the looks they are exactly the same as EMX500 drivers sold at aliexpress. I actually wait for a pair of those so I'll be able to compare them in a few weeks but I'm interested in your opinion.
Most mx500 drivers look similar and a lot of them have similar peaks/dips but no i dont think the emx500 and ry4s drivers are exactly the same. The emx500 is a smoother sound but has a non offensive upper mid-treble emphasis over the low mids. I think the emx500 has a boost around 2khz and upwards but it's a wide peak, the ry4s has some sharp peaks around 4khz-6khz that is a bit too abrasive. The bass is more bloomy on the emx500 but that's the stock tuning, the ry4s can sound more bassy with deeper bass than the emx500 if modded in my experience, closer to Vido bass levels. Emx500 is more mid bass heavy with a bit of sub bass extension. Ry4s definitely has more potential bass wise, but that's partly because it has a dip aroubd 200-300hz which sort of separates the bass and mids at the cost of some bassy instruments not sounding quiet right or full enough.

Given a choice I'd probably choose the emx500 as the ry4s is quite fatiguing with a more forward but rougher vocal quality, although I don't like U shaped tuning much to be honest, the emx500 is a more pleasant listen and suits more genres as the staging is more open and FR is undoubtedly smoother.

But for anyone who favours good midrange tonality and balance I don't think either of these earbuds will excell, especially not the r4ys UE.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #45,441 of 75,148
I don't really follow your logic here, you use a measurement method with exaggerates bass (be it a compensation curve which decreases the upper half, strong smoothing and/or perfect seal which never occurs in real life) and then you check relative levels by drawing a horizontal line? Because the whole curve has a downward sloping distortion the baseline should be curved too, I hope you get what I try to say. I mean come on if you really take this curve at face value than 100hz is 5dB louder than 1khz and the whole upper section is recessed compared to upper bass for example which would mean this earbud is an incredibly dark boomy muddy bass monster, which is cleary isnt the case, it's more like the opposite. So I really dont understand why you read this measurement as if it was a raw uncompensated reading with a rig which simulates a real life scenario, when it's clearly not, the baseline should be follow the bias of the measurement. I can recommend these articles for clarification:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/frequency-response/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/smoothing-compensation/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/3rd-party-plots/
Btw I always use fairly balanced earbuds for reference like Qian69 which is very far from a bass heavy sound signature, and based on reviews there shouldn't be a night and day difference like it is with my copy. My unit was very thin with nonexistent bass even compared to Qian69

While my rig is composted mostly as simple DIY equipment, it has been calibrated with a B&K IEC711 type coupler to make sure it has decent accuracy - When measuring earbuds with a IEC711 coupler, the FR curve will not look nearly as flat as an IEM or a full sized cans. This is due to the fact that earbuds are naturally much more 'leaky' than IEM and cans in the ears than they are on the measuring rig. If you don't know that, that's perhaps because you don't see enough earbuds measurement around that are done with IEC711 coupler. In fact, my old earbuds measurements line-up very well with the measurements of the same earbuds done by innerfidelity.com (while Tyll was still there), and they use a pro-level B&K dummy head for measurement that is far more accurate that what I can do. So perhaps it is not my measurement that is the problem but the way you interpret them.

p/s: Interestingly enough, one of the link you posted talking about how to manually compensate when reading graphs from different source - I reckon you can do just the same for my graph as with innerfidelity.com since we both compensated with B&K's standard.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #45,443 of 75,148
Oct 18, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #45,444 of 75,148
Most mx500 drivers look similar and a lot of them have similar peaks/dips but no i dont think the emx500 and ry4s drivers are exactly the same. The emx500 is a smoother sound but has a non offensive upper mid-treble emphasis over the low mids. The bass is more bloomy on the emx500 but that's the stock tuning, the ry4s can sound more bassy with deeper bass than the emx500 if modded in my experience, closer to Vido bass levels. Emx500 is more mid bass heavy with a bit of sub bass extension.

Given a choice I'd probably choose the emx500 as the ry4s is quite fatiguing with a more forward but rougher vocal quality, although I don't like U shaped tuning much to be honest, the emx500 is a more pleasant listen and suits more genres as the staging is more open.

But for anyone who favours good midrange tonality and balance I don't think either of these earbuds will excell, especially not the r4ys UE.
I think it's more of a tuning thing. I can differentiate drivers quite well visually and these look the same even to the smallest details (of course the inner parts could be different but emx500 drivers has a quite distinctive look). I actually put the RY4S UE drivers in different shells with different tuning foams and they reacted very well to tuning. In a white vido shell for example they become like a white vido on steroids. Now I use them in a y-cable blue vido shell which has thick foam (probably slightly less dense than stock ry4s ue tuning) and originally sounded roughly flat. With this tuning the RY4S UE drivers become extremely balanced compared to original, the thin bright nature is completely vanished and the bass got a additional depth/boost. Essentially it flattened out the upwards slope. I really didn't like the mids in the original version similar to your experiences but now vocals are full and rich, The upper highs around 8-10k are still a bit too intense for my taste but overall this is a killer combination I was quite shocked actually how a simple re-balance can change the sound for the better. I'll put the EMX500 and RY4S UE drivers in the same shell and measure them to verify my theory, I'm quite positive what you hear is just the difference between tuning foams/shells.

While my rig is composted mostly as simple DIY equipment, it has been calibrated with a B&K IEC711 type coupler to make sure it has decent accuracy - When measuring earbuds with a IEC711 coupler, the FR curve will not look nearly as flat as an IEM or a full sized cans. This is due to the fact that earbuds are naturally much more 'leaky' than IEM and cans in the ears than they are on the measuring rig. If you don't know that, that's perhaps because you don't see enough earbuds measurement around that are done with IEC711 coupler. In fact, my old earbuds measurements line-up very well with the measurements of the same earbuds done by innerfidelity.com (while Tyll was still there), and they use a pro-level B&K dummy head for measurement that is far more accurate that what I can do. So perhaps it is not my measurement that is the problem but the way you interpret them.

I wasn't questioning the technical accuracy of your measurements, I believe they are very good quality and I can recognize the landmarks if I mentally decode the altered curve. What I tried to point out is that your kind of measurement doesn't represent what an earbud sounds like in a natural leaky position, (especially in the bass section) but you described it like if it did so, which I found misleading - I would be very surprised to hear an earbud which sounds balanced and at the same time has the same level of 30hz and 1khz. Especially if its bass light like B40. Also I'm aware that Tyll's measurements decrease the frequencies above 1khz, which can be quite misleading for people who are not aware of the fact, and my main problem is that it hides/smoothes peaks in the section above 1khz, this is why I linked this article too, which decodes his measurements too for example. https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/3rd-party-plots/ I didn't want to create an argument, so sorry if I overreacted a bit, I just want to clarify things.

@robar

If you feel harmed with the new B40, you will have a total of three PK lemon buds in your hands. Is it enough for you to go to war with the man who designed and adjusted these buds?
I'm not sure what do you mean. I had an SR2 which is I'm 100% sure was totally completely faulty - it was unmistakable -, and it died anyway when I tried to open up and fix it. But I got half of the price back from which I bought diy parts so I'm content. I can accept that B40 is inherently bass light and my unit is just a lemon with even less than usual. While I hope the replacement will be better, I won't bother anyone further with this, it just doesn't worth each others time or money.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #45,445 of 75,148
they are a bit lacking in the sub bass but mid bass is there, the bass is very tight and fast, very similar to BA woofer

Anyone with Ourart ACG listen and tell me and compare with other buds for sub bass.

Oct 18, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #45,446 of 75,148
Just received the Remax RM-301. Sound is decently good out of the box and fit reminds me of old Sony earbuds due to the unique driver cover design. Even comes with instructions on how to burn them in for 120 hours to obtain 90% optimal sound. For $5, I'm very pleased.

I was excited when ours arrived... loved the colors.... but then we listened to them. @HungryPanda s orange one is out of phase. My yellow one sounds horrible so far but I will do the burn in. Hooked up to my desktop amp now where it will stay for a week... except when I want to actually listen to something at my desk. Then I will have to plug in something else for a while. I think it might be impossible for me to get a seal with these. They sound almost ok if I press them really hard with two fingers.

R0015667.JPG

Smaller than MX500, they come with a pair of foams that I have to put them on, though I can see people using without them because the odd shaped edge allows the fit to be secure this way too. One thing interesting is that this is the first pair of earbuds I have that are made of hard but flexible rubber (silicone?). Only the driver cover is made of hard plastic while the rest of the body, especially the stem area can actually be bent a little. An odd choice of material because I don't know if this greatly affects the tuning.

They may be smaller than an MX500 but something about the shape does not let them fit me well. I can wear buds with MX500 shell because I can get a seal. Also PK buds and others. I have a photo here of my Remax RM-301 next to my NiceHCK B40. I am trying to show in this photo how much bigger the front is on the Remax. Also I think the thin flat body is one reason I am not getting seal. I put nice yellow foams on these. I really want them to work.

I will have to contact the seller about the out of phase orange one.

R0015677.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #45,447 of 75,148
Oct 18, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #45,449 of 75,148
Oct 19, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #45,450 of 75,148
So today I was playing with my Faaeal z-sound, I ordered it mostly because of it's tiny shape.
-1985505135-976758329__01.jpg
1331113531470311613.jpg
It has an average mids and highs good lows but it always sounded congested so I tried to do some modding and the first thing I did was to take off horse shoe tunning cotton, and just by that it sounded better then I decided to poke some holes as I still felt congested sound, at the end poked 3 holes on the shell, first on the back top then back center and also on the stem, that's it and it sounds great now, enjoyable and very speaker like feeling. Also I am wearing it upside down it sounds awesome anyone who has it I would definitely recommend this mod

IMG_20191019_170740__01__01.jpgIMG_20191019_171147__01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back