Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #45,421 of 75,352
Just received the NICEHCK B40..... quite disappointed with the sound though........
can you describe how it sounds? I received one few weeks ago which had literally no bass and barely average mids/highs, probably a lemon. I contacted the seller and they sent me a replacement. I havent received it yet but I hope it will sound better (it should based on the reviews)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #45,422 of 75,352
can you describe how it sounds? I received one few weeks ago which had literally no bass and barely average mids/highs, probably a lemon. I contacted the seller and they sent me a replacement. I havent received it yet but I hope it will sound better (it should based on the reviews)
i has listened B40 for a while, the sound is warm, bass is quite deep, mid and treb don't impressive me too much, but you can change cable to overcome disadvantages

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #45,423 of 75,352
If you don't get any bass from any earbud, you need to make sure you are getting a good fit. Foam usually helps.

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #45,426 of 75,352
Looking to upgrade my Panda PK2 to the Smabat ST-10, was wondering about the fit. I have the RY4S but the MX500 shells are not compatible with my ears at all, they are way too big(something stings.. literally). Panda PK2 is a tad too small, but fits pretty well with foam. Where does the ST-10 fit into this equation?

Oct 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #45,428 of 75,352
If you don't get any bass from any earbud, you need to make sure you are getting a good fit. Foam usually helps.
I'm well aware of this I have many kinds of foam and I tested the B40 side by side with other earbuds wearing the same foam. I also measured the frequency response that I also posted here and sent to the seller. I'm sure my copy was a lemon as it had a "bass" response similar to random sub 1usd earbuds - anemic from 200hz and inaudible from 100hz downwards. I opened up and put it back together, checked the tuning foam, replaced cables but no improvement, so the drivers should have been damaged. Luckily the store sent me a replacement I hope it will be a normal unit this time

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #45,429 of 75,352
I'm well aware of this I have many kinds of foam and I tested the B40 side by side with other earbuds wearing the same foam. I also measured the frequency response that I also posted here and sent to the seller. I'm sure my copy was a lemon as it had a "bass" response similar to random sub 1usd earbuds - anemic from 200hz and inaudible from 100hz downwards. I opened up and put it back together, checked the tuning foam, replaced cables but no improvement, so the drivers should have been damaged. Luckily the store sent me a replacement I hope it will be a normal unit this time

Didn't recall seeing any B40 measurement in this thread, but here is mine (diffuse field compensated):

B40 FR.png

While bass starts to roll off below 300Hz, it does extend all the way down to around 30~40Hz before it drops below the 1kHz line. A bass light sound for sure, especially if you are coming from a bass heavy sound, but it is there.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #45,430 of 75,352
Looking to upgrade my Panda PK2 to the Smabat ST-10, was wondering about the fit. I have the RY4S but the MX500 shells are not compatible with my ears at all, they are way too big(something stings.. literally). Panda PK2 is a tad too small, but fits pretty well with foam. Where does the ST-10 fit into this equation?

I have small ears and prefer the pk shell myself. Many mx500 size earbuds don't fit me as well for long listening sessions.

That being said, the ST-10 is the most comfortable 16.8mm dia earbud I've tried. Due to it's 'thin' shape before the rear housing it tucks in my ears pretty well. Since it's worn over ear it doesn't pull down into the tragus/anti-tragus which also helps.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #45,431 of 75,352
Didn't recall seeing any B40 measurement in this thread, but here is mine (diffuse field compensated):

While bass starts to roll off below 300Hz, it does extend all the way down to around 30~40Hz before it drops below the 1kHz line. A bass light sound for sure, especially if you are coming from a bass heavy sound, but it is there.
I don't really follow your logic here, you use a measurement method with exaggerates bass (be it a compensation curve which decreases the upper half, strong smoothing and/or perfect seal which never occurs in real life) and then you check relative levels by drawing a horizontal line? Because the whole curve has a downward sloping distortion the baseline should be curved too, I hope you get what I try to say. I mean come on if you really take this curve at face value than 100hz is 5dB louder than 1khz and the whole upper section is recessed compared to upper bass for example which would mean this earbud is an incredibly dark boomy muddy bass monster, which is cleary isnt the case, it's more like the opposite. So I really dont understand why you read this measurement as if it was a raw uncompensated reading with a rig which simulates a real life scenario, when it's clearly not, the baseline should be follow the bias of the measurement. I can recommend these articles for clarification:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/frequency-response/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/smoothing-compensation/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/3rd-party-plots/
Btw I always use fairly balanced earbuds for reference like Qian69 which is very far from a bass heavy sound signature, and based on reviews there shouldn't be a night and day difference like it is with my copy. My unit was very thin with nonexistent bass even compared to Qian69

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #45,432 of 75,352
I hadn't listened to my Ourart ACG for a few days. Had put a Nicehck 16 core red and white mixed MMCX cable on them and listened to the Tupac track , Ambitionz Az a Ridah, and Nitin Sawhney's, Anthem Without Nation. Very interesting. Anyone who thinks the ACG does not have much bass is mistaken. Although they do fit exceptional well in my ears and make a good seal, the bass is very much there. They are a very special bud and if you get the chance try them.

It's just mythology that buds don't have bass. Listening on a FiiO M9 and a Samsung S9 Exynos plus phone.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #45,433 of 75,352
Btw I always use fairly balanced earbuds for reference like Qian69 which is very far from a bass heavy sound signature, and based on reviews there shouldn't be a night and day difference like it is with my copy. My unit was very thin with nonexistent bass even compared to Qian69

With a good seal, bass is there with the B40's, but as ClieOS says, on the lighter side. A bit of bass boost EQ gets them sounding very good to me. But nonexistent bass? Nope - yours do sound like lemons.

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #45,434 of 75,352
Smabat M1? Don't buy the ST-10 if MX500 diameter hurts your ears. You are asking for trouble if that's the case.

Oct 18, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #45,435 of 75,352
With a good seal, bass is there with the B40's, but as ClieOS says, on the lighter side. A bit of bass boost EQ gets them sounding very good to me. But nonexistent bass? Nope - yours do sound like lemons.
I really hope this is the case, this bass lightness consensus of B40 is new to me. Maybe its not that far off from a normal unit than I thought, but someone should really hate bass to call my particular units balanced sounding. It starts to roll off around 250hz for real, while the highs are over represented relative to the midrange, no depth to the music at all. I would say my unit in the 20-125hz range is about 5-6dB below from the signature I would call balanced for an average budget earbud, especially below 100hz. My current reference (which is a balanced retuning of RY4S UE work in progress) has 7-8dB more bass around 30hz, which starts to resemble the low bass response of good quality balanced/bright budget headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back