Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #43,366 of 75,342
It looks nice.

Are yours the same as ours? The ones from this link? I have the Silver color and Panda has the red. I have not decided if mine have enough bass. His seemed to have a little more when he compared them. Now that they have burned in awhile I will listen more and edit this post to comment on that.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33015623626.html

Maybe I will compare my MX500 MMCX to my RY4S MMCX Plus if I have some time. Busy day. Next week I will have more time for listening. I do already think that my RY4S Plus sounds amazing.

I kind of like the way my cables look with both but I do wish the MMCX connector did not stick out so far.

The MX500 MMCX I think that is a BGVP cable that came with a BGVP bud that now has a balanced cable on it.

and the RY4S MMCX Plus (I did show another photo of it with my Cayin N3 a few pages back)

i don't think so. i bought them from a local reseller and i think she got it from CKLewis since other products seem to be from CKLewis.

and the fact that you think ME80 and Shiroyuki has enough bass and you are saying that you have not decide if your MX500 has enough bass definitely meant that we have different earbuds. mine are very bassy and definitely at least 3 times more bassy than ME80. I am using TRN T2 16 core cable on them now haha.
66007797_2653541371331503_8504273917412638720_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #43,367 of 75,342
which tells you absolutely nothing,
Can read my reviews, tho.
Just drilled two bigger holes through ME80's, overall SQ improved a bit, they became a bit more listenable, so now they sound like a pair of 12$ earbuds, hehehe
I want to ask you one simple thing: why do you expect me to be some double-agent, while also expecting 10$ earbud with a tiny compensating hole to sound better than what I've just described?
where's the tiny compensating hole?

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #43,369 of 75,342
where's the tiny compensating hole?

On the back, I drilled through them using a replaceable screwdriver's head as a drill. It is actually strange that these holes where so small.
bm9GhqSEDHU.jpg

Because mine do not sound like you described.

I remember someone saying in this exact thread that the bass is weak, while trying to cope with it talking about burn-in. That is like a classical, step-by-step scene that repeats itself every time someone receives bad earphones.
I listen to earphones on pretty high volumes, maybe that's the reason we're not hearing the same.
Because I'm not sure if it's possible to wire single-driver earbud out of phase.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #43,370 of 75,342
i don't think so. i bought them from a local reseller and i think she got it from CKLewis since other products seem to be from CKLewis.

and the fact that you think ME80 and Shiroyuki has enough bass and you are saying that you have not decide if your MX500 has enough bass definitely meant that we have different earbuds. mine are very bassy and definitely at least 3 times more bassy than ME80. I am using TRN T2 16 core cable on them now haha.
66007797_2653541371331503_8504273917412638720_n.jpg

Maybe we will have to get the ones from CK Lewis and compare... although the descriptions are the same and even the color choices are the same.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #43,371 of 75,342
Maybe we will have to get the ones from CK Lewis and compare... although the descriptions are the same and even the color choices are the same.
let me double confirm with my local reseller first.
On the back, I drilled through them using a replaceable screwdriver's head as a drill. It is actually strange that these holes where so small.
bm9GhqSEDHU.jpg

I remember someone saying in this exact thread that the bass is weak, while trying to cope with it talking about burn-in. That is like a classical, step-by-step scene that repeats itself every time someone receives bad earphones.
I listen to earphones on pretty high volumes, maybe that's the reason we're not hearing the same.
Because I'm not sure if it's possible to wire single-driver earbud out of phase.
that was me. i said that it was bass light, but burn in does help a little bit.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #43,372 of 75,342
listen to earphones on pretty high volumes, maybe that's the reason we're not hearing the same.

I enjoy my music at low volume.

Of course they can be wired out of phase... there are two wires going to each driver. Reverse the postive and negative on one and they are out of phase. We have received a few that were out of phase. Had to open one side and reverse the wires which of course means you need to be handy with a soldering iron. It is pretty easy to kill the driver .

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #43,374 of 75,342
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #43,375 of 75,342
... all of my portable audio gear ... has been purchased since the Summer of 2016. :ksc75smile:
Same here! It started with the Piston 3 IEM and then on to earbuds after I tried the Monk+ (both long-since retired). I ventured out into larger forms for a while but I'm back to stay with buds.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #43,376 of 75,342
Some words about Nicehck ME80:
1) Soundstage is meh, kinda gets to sides of your ears, but feels forced, like if sound was just pushed from the center to the sides of your head. nearly all my IEMs have better (can't say bigger - IEMs will always sound like something inside your head without an exquisite amount of dsp's and equalizing) stage. Examples: KZ ZS6, MDR EX800ST, HIFIBOY OS V3.
2) Awful treble and mid peaks.
3) No bass below 50hZ, pressing them against the ear reveals boomy, trash low-frequencies.
4) Resolution in treble is... there?. Yeah, it doesn't really help.
5) Good build quality, they do look good.

I can describe their sound as cheap. They do provide sound, that is all.

A pair of 8$ Sennheiser MX170's sounds a lot better. Please don't buy them, as they still sound like cheap earbuds, I'm pretty sure you have something better in your collection.
About burn-in - it never happened to any of my dynamic IEM's. They may change the sound for me, but that's purely psychological, my sound perception changes several times throughout the day, which clearly shows when I'm listening to KZ ZS6 or MDR EX800ST.
Wasted 10$, bought them just for fun, and they didn't disappoint - they are just as bad as I thought. Same goes to **** PT15, only thing is: I expected a lot more from them after reading some reviews.
Good things won't be sold as cat-in-the-bag.

The soundstage is wide, but doesn't feel forced to me. I don't hear any awful treble or mid peaks, and the bass seems quite adequate to me.

So either our ears hear quite differently, or else the ME80's that we have sound quite different (ie possibly yours are defective).

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #43,377 of 75,342
The soundstage is wide, but doesn't feel forced to me. I don't hear any awful treble or mid peaks, and the bass seems quite adequate to me.

So either our ears hear quite differently, or else the ME80's that we have sound quite different (ie possibly yours are defective).

In that case, I don't want to, but I really have to recommend you Sennheiser MX170.
I have a problem with them starting to crack when I crank up the bass on high-volumes, but if you guys don't listen to earbuds that loud - you may find them stunning, in a way.
They have unique-sounding tuning of being bright and kinda dynamic, they bring a lot of coloring to the sound, without sounding bad. They have fairly good treble extension and bold (for earbuds) bass.
Soundstage is better than the one you can find listening to ME80, though not a lot better than PT15's soundstage.
P.S. Yes, I've drilled a bigger vent through PT15's as well, they have more body now, bass included. It is essential for things that move a lot of air to have enough air intake.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #43,378 of 75,342
In that case, I don't want to, but I really have to recommend you Sennheiser MX170.
I have a problem with them starting to crack when I crank up the bass on high-volumes, but if you guys don't listen to earbuds that loud - you may find them stunning, in a way.
They have unique-sounding tuning of being bright and kinda dynamic, they bring a lot of coloring to the sound, without sounding bad. They have fairly good treble extension and bold (for earbuds) bass.

I'm not really into bright signatures. For example, the PT15's are a bit bass light and treble happy for my preferences. But I'll look into those MX170's a bit.

Soundstage is better than the one you can find listening to ME80, though not a lot better than PT15's soundstage.
P.S. Yes, I've drilled a bigger vent through PT15's as well, they have more body now, bass included. It is essential for things that move a lot of air to have enough air intake.

I can understand feeling the need to do that to the PT15's, but not for the ME80's.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #43,379 of 75,342
I'm not really into bright signatures. For example, the PT15's are a bit bass light and treble happy for my preferences. But I'll look into those MX170's a bit.

I can understand feeling the need to do that to the PT15's, but not for the ME80's.

Well, I'll pretend to believe in burn-in for several days, they are too beautiful for me to just stop using them.
I have long and wide ear canals, and my ear shape can just kill earbud bass, maybe that is what happens.
As of now, they've been locked with harsh-noise records on high volume for several hours and I don't hear that much of mid-treble harshness anymore. Express burn-in, anyone?

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #43,380 of 75,342
As of now, they've been locked with harsh-noise records on high volume for several hours and I don't hear that much of mid-treble harshness anymore. Express burn-in, anyone?

Most manufacturers recommend normal listening volume for burn in.

Seems you might not be getting a proper seal. Have you tried donut foams on top of the full foams?

I burned mine in for 3 or 4 days attached to my desktop dac/amp playing music from my PC. Listening when I was at my desk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back