Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #43,336 of 75,347
Thanks ClieOS, good to see impressions of these!

And how is the low end quantity and quality?

Good quality, but fairly neutral in quantity.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #43,337 of 75,347
Many thanks for the replies. Still mulling over trying one of the Snow-Lotus varieties since they're about the same on Amazon Prime as AliExpress, but regardless, leaning towards ordering a sampler of sorts from AE with some combination of the below:

FAAEAL Iris 1.0
Fengru EMX500
NICEHCK Vido
Philips SHE3800
QuianYun Quian25
RYGMR RY4S UE
TY Hi-Z TY

Can someone link to what is commonly referred to as the FENGRU SILVERS? That's the one I saw repeatedly in this thread but couldn't find on AE. I'd probably add those or swap one of the above out to make room for it, if they're still available.

The entire list above comes out under $40 shipped, which I hope is easily worth it to narrow down signatures before moving up... and if I'm lucky, maybe even finding one I like enough to settle on and just stock up on 4 more pairs for practically nothing. There are a few options in that $12-20 range like NICECHK EB2, NICECHK ME80, and Fengru PK2 I haven't ruled out throwing into the order, but not sure it's worth doing a hapless "buffet" in that price range until I at least check out the truly cheap options first.

To answer an earlier question: I am using the included foam on both the Datura X and H180, even though I've always preferred my MX365s naked. I quickly saw the benefits of slapping on the pads for a brighter bud.

Out of that list I only have the Vido's, EMX500, RY4S UE and Datura X. The Vido's, and then the EMX500's were both revelations when I first got them, so I suppose they are no brainers.

At this point for me, the other no brainers are:
RY4S UE
Snow Lotus 1.0+ CE (if it's still available)
Fengru Silvers
ME80
Yincrow RW9
Kube V1

and for a bit more:
Sabia V6 experimental <-- edit: discontinued, but look forward to the V7's
Willsound MK2

and for yet a bit more:
Smabat ST10 (I don't have them, but they are supposedly similar to the Svara L 32ohms which I love).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #43,339 of 75,347
came across a supposedly another variant of RY4S? it's called RY4S HI. what's the difference between HI and UE?
I think it was mentioned before that it has a different cable. Maybe the search function will yield some results.

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #43,341 of 75,347
Out of that list I only have the Vido's, EMX500, RY4S UE and Datura X. The Vido's, and then the EMX500's were both revelations when I first got them, so I suppose they are no brainers.

RY4S UE
Fengru Silvers
ME80
Yincrow RW9
Kube V1

and for a bit more:
Sabia V6 experimental
Willsound MK2

and for yet a bit more:
Smabat ST10 (I don't have them, but they are supposedly similar to the Svara L 32ohms which I love).
Isn't Sabia V6 out of production now?
On the last batch of V6 from the ebay seller there was a note in the description "see you on the V7" (or something similar to that effect).

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #43,342 of 75,347
thx, forgot about the search function but there was no direct comparison, guess nobody has both of them

Someone did have both but I can't find the post. From memory, the HI was less bassy and more detailed than the UE version. I had also messaged the seller previously about the differences, he said UE has copper cable and HI is using SPC cable.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #43,343 of 75,347
came across a supposedly another variant of RY4S? it's called RY4S HI. what's the difference between HI and UE?

RY4S UE/Hi/Plus is awesome, very detailed. But the common version (~$3) is awesome too. They use the same drivers, the only change is a small tuning film that is not present on UE/Hi/Plus version, that is why it sounds more open and detailed (on the left, common version drivers, on the right, UE/Hi/Plus version drivers).

Hi version uses this cable https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907557028.html
UE uses UE cable
Plus without cable with mmcx

876586b886.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #43,344 of 75,347

RY4S UE
Fengru Silvers
ME80
Yincrow RW9
Kube V1

and for a bit more:
Sabia V6 experimental
Willsound MK2

and for yet a bit more:
just got myself a pair of emx500 with mmcx connector since you said they are no-brainer. they truly are no-brainer indeed. the bass omg. i love these. they do look weird though with my cable

66279453_2652676388084668_6185206712484495360_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #43,345 of 75,347
Hey Folks, anyone know how to open up the NiceHCK ME80 shell? I got mine and the left bud was crackly and goingin in and out; if I moved the wire around the sound would come, but then leave again. I 'burned' them for 20 hours and they were beginning to sound quite good (natural with depth and height to the stage) so I would like to keep them. The NICEHCK store said they would send me a new pair but I would have to pay for shipping. But if I can open these up I could solder it back on myself.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #43,350 of 75,347
Someone did have both but I can't find the post. From memory, the HI was less bassy and more detailed than the UE version. I had also messaged the seller previously about the differences, he said UE has copper cable and HI is using SPC cable.
Considering the UE is not very bassy to begin with (tight and punchy enough but definately not a bassy earbud in stock), I think I'd find the HI version too bass light. But maybe the difference is very subtle.

@Alex.Grimm that's interesting. Do both the standard RY4S and the UE/HI version come with tuning 'horseshoe' in the shell?

If so then I guess the stock RY4S is more dampened and less bassy than the other versions.

Or does that small tuning filter replace the normal horseshoe foam found in most mx500 earbuds?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back