Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #43,397 of 75,150
It suddenly helped considerably.

You didn't have a proper seal then. The ME80's fit my ears very nicely with a great seal, and that definitely is key.

Regarding burn in, I have experienced it for some gear and not other gear (and it wasn't just burn brain in). But the ME80's sounded great to me out of the box.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #43,398 of 75,150
Why are you always clouding the issues with facts? Just kidding - you are quite correct. I will edit my post to reflect that.

Huh! I'll have to find them and give them a listen, but I always thought the UE's had ample bass, enough to slide into my opinion of bassy.

Ah, so we are confirming that Sean is smoking something good (just kidding Sean!)

Now this is why I allow others to do the describing for me! Nice description.

Keep talking like that, and the Shiro's will be sitting in my cart mocking me!
The UE has good quality bass (tight and punchy, no bleed into the mids, acceptable extension) but I always felt it was a little lacking compared to say, kube V1, WS MK2 etc. Yes those are bassy earbuds, but nonetheless the RY4S was considered top dog at it's price point. So I was being critical of it's performance.

But if you bass port the RY4S UE (a very small port not to overdo it). You get a nice boost in punch and some extra depth, still it doesn't bleed into the mids.

Sadly it does emphasis the biggest flaw of the RY4S UE to my ears which is a dip in the lower vocal range relative to 1-3khz (so there's a tendancy for the vocals to be a bit agressive and mids are a little rougher). I wouldn't call it overly lean as it's not a suck out, just a small dip, which gets more noticable if you boost the bass with the bass port mod.

Maybe extensive burn in and/or a cable swap would help tame that midrange, i haven't tried any of that though.

Maybe I should!

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #43,400 of 75,150
Oh, of course they weren't in my ears. I'm everything-sensitive, while also loud-music lover. That's why nearly all earphones are too sibilant for me. I hear imperfections in sound too much, hence the strongly negative initial impression. I always use EQ, but they were unfixable in the beginning.

Whats your source?

These things sound like phenomenal for female vocals jazz and pop. Was even listening to old college rock stuff and they come off so natural and clean its ridiculous that they are only $10. Anyway I believe these things have a bit of oomph at 80-100hz but roll off after that. Bass heavy stuff is a bit boring IMO. Everything else stays flat until 7-8k. If you are treble sensitive its probably the 8k peak. I personally don't hear any sibilance and I feel that female vocals are clean and very intimate with nice breathiness(whatever that means). Good airy treble that's a bit lively. That's with no foams and using Fiio M11 high gain, med volume.

That said I put on a pair of Heigi donut foams and it completely obliterated the sound. Bass became too boomy and the vocals were pushed back quite a ways. Pushing the earbuds into my ear and turning them towards my ear canal resulted in some very bass light, mids honkish, type bright sound. Very similar to what you described if I am correctly decoding the Full bore hyperbolic sentiments you displayed. Now Im in the hunt for the right foam, which actually might be no foam. However I am trying to keep the close intimate vocals with just a little bit more low end.

Open to suggestions if anybody has some. Have hundreds of foams. I have just about everything but those thin AE foams.

Hope you get to liking them, but if not, atleast it was only $10 right? I have/had $200-$300 iems that didn't/don't thrill me.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #43,401 of 75,150
Very similar to what you described if I am correctly decoding the Full bore hyperbolic sentiments you displayed.

Lol! It was slightly hyperbolic, wasn't it.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #43,402 of 75,150
Hey Folks, anyone know how to open up the NiceHCK ME80 shell? I got mine and the left bud was crackly and goingin in and out; if I moved the wire around the sound would come, but then leave again. The NICEHCK store said they would send me a new pair but I would have to pay for shipping. But if I can open these up I could solder it back on myself.

have you try sucking/blowing on the driver itself? sounds a bit weird but sometimes it works. Otherwise shipping from china is usually super cheap, so I'd go for that, if you really want the replacement.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #43,404 of 75,150
The ME-80 is sure one of the most crucial fitment earbuds I have ever owned. But when you get it right they sound great.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #43,405 of 75,150
The ME-80 is sure one of the most crucial fitment earbuds I have ever owned. But when you get it right they sound great.

I tried to listen to the ME80, but I could not love their sound. These earbuds are suitable for lovers of light music, something like acoustics or vocal. With heavy genres, they cope very badly. And it have almost no bass.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #43,406 of 75,150
have you try sucking/blowing on the driver itself? sounds a bit weird but sometimes it works. Otherwise shipping from china is usually super cheap, so I'd go for that, if you really want the replacement.
Thanks -- forgot about the airflow bit, will try it. Still seems like a poorly soldered wire. Yeah, the replacement isnt that expensive, but it would be nice to fix this one. I was beginning to rely enjoy this bud -- at first, it sounded thin and dull, but after overnight of 'burn in', some nice timber and soundstage was beginning to emerge. Thanks again!

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #43,407 of 75,150
So guys I know it's not an amp thread but since everybody is here I would like to know which portable amp wil be best for Earbuds in 99usd

I am thinking between Radsone ES100 and Little Bear B4-X
(Sound Quality and Portability both matters to me)

Which one do you think will be the best.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #43,408 of 75,150
So guys I know it's not an amp thread but since everybody is here I would like to know which portable amp wil be best for Earbuds in 99usd

Thanks
What are you using currently?

Jul 5, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #43,410 of 75,150

Thanks
es100 is a safe choice. lots of power, neutral sound, and great app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back