Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #40,877 of 75,297
Just out of curiosity, what are some good sub-$50 earbuds that don't require foam covers? I like the Earpods for that; if they get earwax or something on them I can just wipe it off and not have to bother with replacing foams, plus they fit more easily. But all of the good earbuds I've seen recommended need foam covers or they sound too thin, if I'm not mistaken.

Kube v2/ek2 maybe

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2615#post-14727108

Kube v1 modded is like the VE zen 2.0 with more clarity and balance. I'm using it without foams or with very thin foama during tests and it's awesome.

The V2/ek2 is warmer-darker slightly in stock form in the presence region. It may sound good foamless without any harsh lower treble.

I mention the VE zen 2.0 because its the most popular earbud to wear foamless. Which it was designed for.

Although

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #40,878 of 75,297
The V2/ek2 is warmer-darker slightly in stock form. It may sound good foamless.

I could check that out... I have not yet put foams on my backup pair of Kube2. I should make sure they work anyway... lol.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #40,879 of 75,297
I could check that out... I have not yet put foams on my backup pair of Kube2. I should make sure they work anyway... lol.
Only thing is the kube venting is on the back not behind the foams like on mx500 shells, so you won't get that boost of the low end - warmth you get from removing foams from mx500 earbuds.

But can't hurt to try!

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #40,880 of 75,297
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #40,881 of 75,297
Hi, so I'm in a need of another kind of recommendation. I'm looking for cheap earbuds not based on sound but comfort. What I want is good earbuds to sleep in. They would play audiobooks, some asmr and light, relaxing music. Obviously I wouldn't want some crappy sound quality, but that's not the most important thing, as I have other headphones for music listening.
Finding good cheap earbuds wouldn't really be a problem, but since most of them use that MX500 shell, it is. They are a little too bulky and when laying on my side ears start hurting a little. I used AuGlamour RX-1 and they were great, but the cable in them is so flimsy, they broke twice.
Would anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #40,883 of 75,297
Hi, so I'm in a need of another kind of recommendation. I'm looking for cheap earbuds not based on sound but comfort. What I want is good earbuds to sleep in. They would play audiobooks, some asmr and light, relaxing music. Obviously I wouldn't want some crappy sound quality, but that's not the most important thing, as I have other headphones for music listening.
Finding good cheap earbuds wouldn't really be a problem, but since most of them use that MX500 shell, it is. They are a little too bulky and when laying on my side ears start hurting a little. I used AuGlamour RX-1 and they were great, but the cable in them is so flimsy, they broke twice.
Would anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
My personal favorite for comfort is pk shell earbuds. IMO the RX1 is still too large depth wise for perfect comfort.

Pk or Qian/monk lite type shell comes the closest to perfect comfort.

Actually apple earpods are really comfortable too for that use, did you consider just buying some earpods? Although I know some don't find them as comfortable as others...

Anyway try the diy pk2 sr2 on aliexpress from chittys store. @jogawag may get you a link to the best version (one vent or two). My aliexpress links never work for people.

Although i gotta say. The rx1 had a sturdy cable and Jack. Where on the cable did it break on you exactly?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #40,884 of 75,297
Can someone please compare the Moondrop Liebesleid with e.g. EBX, TO600 or OURART ACG? Much appreciated and asking just in case I might want to buy another earbud in the sale.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #40,888 of 75,297
My personal favorite for comfort is pk shell earbuds. IMO the RX1 is still too large depth wise for perfect comfort.

Pk or Qian/monk lite type shell comes the closest to perfect comfort.

Actually apple earpods are really comfortable too for that use, did you consider just buying some earpods? Although I know some don't find them as comfortable as others...

Anyway try the diy pk2 sr2 on aliexpress from chittys store. @jogawag may get you a link to the best version (one vent or two). My aliexpress links never work for people.

Although i gotta say. The rx1 had a sturdy cable and Jack. Where on the cable did it break on you exactly?

Never had any apple product in my ears, so it never even crossed my mind. The first thing that come to mind with Apple is overpriced for what it's worth.
I will check out those other earphones you listed.
RX1 cable broke where it touches the headphones. I'm assuming it's because the shell is metal and since I was laying my head on them a lot and maybe moving while asleep it was too much for them :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #40,889 of 75,297
I know it's not an earbud - but imo the best thing about Tenhz P4 Pro??.....the case....haha!

3.jpg

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #40,890 of 75,297
Just browsing anniversary sale and noticed EBX was going to be $48 before coupons. I gotta say TOTL earpuds under $50 is kind of a no brainer. Possible to get under $40 with coupons. That means buy the cable,(which is worth that) and get free EBX.

Almost want to buy another one at that price but I don't want to sleep on the sofa...

Hmm.
EBX for <$80 is worth a shot. Though not sure if it's worth for sleeping on the sofa...

Can someone please compare the Moondrop Liebesleid with e.g. EBX, TO600 or OURART ACG? Much appreciated and asking just in case I might want to buy another earbud in the sale.
I'll try to answer about EBX vs ACG. EBX is the safest bet. ACG is better on the clarity and imaging, but it's bright and bass is rolled-off (or, no decay). EBX has nothing outstanding but instead, more balanced overall. It's very musical; you can throw anything to them and they'll just present the music without trying to be artificial. ACG on other hand really shines for jazz, bossanova, live acoustics for its details and impressive imaging; look at other options if you want to listen to metal, hard rock or edm.

edit: should be addressed to activatorfly instead. i am curious about Leibesleid vs EBX or ACG too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back