Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #38,192 of 75,370
I thought it was a list of earbuds he wanted to buy. That's why I was curious as he was listing so many earbuds... And so I said maybe buying both the Black Ling and Bell-ti would be overkill... Lol

As also i said to400 over bk because it has a very similar timbre in the mids but sounds cleaner. Thinking he may save himself a lot of money by trying out the to400s first...

Now seeing as its a recommendation list I wouldn't be removing options just because it's similar!
Yes, the initial idea was that. I will use this as a references list to buy my collection. I will not buy everything. But I will keep this list updated because it can be useful for other newcomers. I will try to put a small text with important information, like that about the shozy bk and to400. The list is being updated all the time. I will update the initial message of the the list to avoid misunderstanding. This is not a list to say that anything is inferior or bad, is a reference list to newcomers, like me. The reason that I put everything there is that I want to avoid any injury to any manufacturer.

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #38,193 of 75,370
How's the sound-stage compared to yin or tm9?

I haven't heard Yin but the soundstage on TM9 is bigger than on CampFred 2 (and also than on ZoomFred, which in turn has got a bigger soundstage than CF2). But overall I agree with golov17 on his views on CF2 vs TM9. (For me it works great to not use foams on TM9, but instead use silicone rings with fins from the VE EX pack where I have cut off the fins).

I probably pick both CF2 and ZF over TM9, but the soundstage on TM9 is quite special.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #38,194 of 75,370
Nope. EBX doesn't have the same issue. I was A/B-ing EB2-EBX last night and noticed dip in the mids for EB2 too, which probably one of the reasons I don't enjoy the EB2. EBX is pretty flat with minimum dip or peaks.

I was skeptic about improvement I will get from the EBX from the EB2 before ordering it, as some reviews are saying that EB2 is 85-95% of EBX. But I am glad I decided to purchase them while there was 11.11 sale. The price difference is justifiable and I would pay it at its full price ($119).

second this, definitely no regrets in getting the EBX over the EB2. Sure, if you want value, you might go for the cheaper option, but I wanted a definite upgrade and a taste of that "TOTL" sound.

I'll probably be using the EBX far longer than any of my buds, since it seems the jump/upgrade to $200+ range isn't as well-defined as I'd like.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #38,195 of 75,370
https://ucotech1.wixsite.com/mysite..._w5pr-vMRlBKylUlyxCUF2rk5AWXmHTpOzKeGSBLmd6Bo
S81207-174813.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #38,196 of 75,370
I haven't heard Yin but the soundstage on TM9 is bigger than on CampFred 2 (and also than on ZoomFred, which in turn has got a bigger soundstage than CF2). But overall I agree with golov17 on his views on CF2 vs TM9. (For me it works great to not use foams on TM9, but instead use silicone rings with fins from the VE EX pack where I have cut off the fins).

I probably pick both CF2 and ZF over TM9, but the soundstage on TM9 is quite special.
Ordered ZF Pro bro )))

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #38,200 of 75,370
Nope. EBX doesn't have the same issue. I was A/B-ing EB2-EBX last night and noticed dip in the mids for EB2 too, which probably one of the reasons I don't enjoy the EB2. EBX is pretty flat with minimum dip or peaks.

I was skeptic about improvement I will get from the EBX from the EB2 before ordering it, as some reviews are saying that EB2 is 85-95% of EBX. But I am glad I decided to purchase them while there was 11.11 sale. The price difference is justifiable and I would pay it at its full price ($119).

second this, definitely no regrets in getting the EBX over the EB2. Sure, if you want value, you might go for the cheaper option, but I wanted a definite upgrade and a taste of that "TOTL" sound.

I'll probably be using the EBX far longer than any of my buds, since it seems the jump/upgrade to $200+ range isn't as well-defined as I'd like.

Hmm.. I'm biting haha, I'm trying to return the EB2. Out of curiosity, do you think that the EBX is superior to the Shozy Cygnus? They're listed for a very similar price..

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #38,201 of 75,370
Mod'ed a FiiO short mmcx cable with the smallest 2.5mm balanced plug I have so I can listen to Masya 2 with EarStudio ES100's balanced output.

10208830.jpg

10208831.jpg

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #38,202 of 75,370

Big soundstage is not always best in my opinion. I find good placement of imaging, separation and air to be the important factors. The tm9 has a big soundstage because the low mids have a big dip. You do that with any earbud via EQ and you get a similar effect.

To me gaining soundstage is not worth recessed low mids, better to make small adjuatments and gain soundstage via refined frequency response and good separation rather than disrupting the balance.

Not that people will not love the tm9's large soundstage, it's just to my ears i prefer good placement and nothing to sound too distant or too close. Music sounds more alive when the soundstageing lets the music present naturally.

It was the same for me with Mojito, with dipped mids the SS was huge and like a big arc in the mids. Fun for awhile but it felt empty at times...But once you neutralised the dips it became much more natural, a bit more forward but with excellent separation and refinement which made it still sound full, big and open but much more alive than before.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #38,204 of 75,370
Mod'ed a FiiO short mmcx cable with the smallest 2.5mm balanced plug I have so I can listen to Masya 2 with EarStudio ES100's balanced output.

10208830.jpg

10208831.jpg

I'm jealous - I want a shorter balanced cable like that for my Svara L's and ES100. I'm guessing that Fiio doesn't provide that cable with a balanced plug themselves (I'll look).

How does the Masya 2 + ES100 combo work for you?

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #38,205 of 75,370
I'm jealous - I want a shorter balanced cable like that for my Svara L's and ES100. I'm guessing that Fiio doesn't provide that cable with a balanced plug themselves (I'll look).

How does the Masya 2 + ES100 combo work for you?

As far as I know, FiiO's short cable are all 3.5mm single-ended. But they can be converted to balanced by a plug mod.

So far Masya 2 is playing fine with ES100. I am still trying to find the right foam pad combination to get the best out of it. Right now I am on double foam - a full foam over a donut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back