Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #346 of 75,563
Even the PK1 will probably fall out of your ears when running. Even when walking traditional earbuds tend to fall out of my ears which is why I now mostly use traditional earbuds with ear hooks while walking around. For years I used traditional earbuds without ear hooks while walking around, however I am willing to sacrifice some sound quality to avoid the nuisance of having earbuds falling out. The $11 Panasonic RP-HS 33 has nice highs, but not such great bass. With the bass boosted 8db on my player though, the RP-HS33 is quite adequate while I am active and need to hear my surroundings. The $9 JVC HA-EB75 has slightly lower sound quality than the RP-HS33, but will fit better on those with smaller ears. It also needs a +8 db  bass boost.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #347 of 75,563
Quote:

Have you removed the silicone ring around the tip of the earbud? After doing that, the MX980 fit my ears much better even if have foams on them. The silicone rings are easy to remove, and not as easy to put back in case you want to sell them, and removing them do make for a better overall fit.

I read earlier in the thread that you liked the Yuin PK2. Why not buy a pair of PK2 for when you are out running and then using the MX985 other times? I think both are great and I will not get rid of my pair of PK2's. There are other earbuds that are better overall, but I love the airy sound of the PK2.

Hi Danneq

Can you wear MX985 without the silicone ring and foam? Does big is the shell comparing to the PK2 after the ring is removed?

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #348 of 75,563
Quote:
I have not removed the ring. I may look into that. I sent an email to inquire about returning them but i suspect that with international shipping and possible restocking fee will kill that. I did mention that i loved my PK2's and it gave me the bug i guess. When they were stolen it made me wonder if i loved them so much, maybe i would like ______ better. Hence the upgrade fever. If i can't return/sell these for a decent price i prob will just get a pk2 for jogging and keep the MX985's for my work listening. Sure wish there was a local place to demo the PK1 though. That will always be in the back of my mind...

I think you should try them without the silicone ring. It does make some difference. I have not heard the PK1 and I would not be surprised if they are much better than the PK2, but I don't like the idea of being forced to use a headphone amplifier for earbuds. That's why I stay away from high impedance earbuds such as PK1, Sunrise Charm & Sunrise Dragon 2...

Like JK1 writes above, earbuds with hooks can be a good solution. There doesn't seem to be an OMX985 released, but you could see if you can find a pair of OMX980. I think I saw a pair of those in the For sale forum a while ago...

Quote:

Hi Danneq

Can you wear MX985 without the silicone ring and foam? Does big is the shell comparing to the PK2 after the ring is removed?

I have the MX980, not the MX985. The basic design and size of the housing seem to be identical, so I think I can comment on the size of the MX985.
I can use my MX980 without either the silicone rings or foams, but I think they stick easier in your ears if there is something that creates friction. The PK2 are small enough to go into your outer ear and sort of hook into place. The MX980 doesn't do that and might fall out or become loose if you move too much.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #349 of 75,563
So is there a consensus for a best sounding earbud that has an inline mic and volume control both? I'd really like to have a high quality earbud connected to my smartphone at all times for taking calls and listening to music instead of lugging around my full size closed cans. Before anyone says IEMs, I prefer earbuds due to comfort, but if there doesn't seem to be a tier 1 earbud with both inline mic and volume controls I guess I'll look into IEMs at that point. Basically I am looking for the best sounding, most convenient/feature packed earbud. Thank you for any suggestions. I was looking at the Sennheiser 985s, but unfortunately they do not have the inline mic. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #350 of 75,563
Quote:

I can use my MX980 without either the silicone rings or foams, but I think they stick easier in your ears if there is something that creates friction. The PK2 are small enough to go into your outer ear and sort of hook into place. The MX980 doesn't do that and might fall out or become loose if you move too much.

So with silicon ring removed the shell of mx980 is even smaller then pk2? If that's the case the big shell problem of mx980 is solved for me.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #351 of 75,563
Quote:

So with silicon ring removed the shell of mx980 is even smaller then pk2? If that's the case the big shell problem of mx980 is solved for me.

No, it's still bigger than the PK2. I think that without both silicone ring and foams the MX980 are still bigger than the PK2 with foams. But without silicone ring, at least for me the fit becomes much better.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #354 of 75,563
Quote:
Guys,how to fit the earbud properly?there is no instruction to fit it perfectly

Because there isn't any one way that will fit everyone perfectly. Basically it is a trial and error process.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #356 of 75,563
Quote:
I asked that because there is way to fit iem properly.there may be a general way for earbud
redface.gif

Your buds maybe too small or too large for your ears if you can't get it to fit right.  If too small, try foam cushion to see if you can get a better fit.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #357 of 75,563
Earbuds are all about trial and error. Some earbuds are just too big for some people's ears...

On another note. I want to tip y'all about this seller on Ebay who sells DIY earbuds. He's got DIY mods of Yuin PK2 & PK3 and a mod of Sennheiser MX500 as well as a DIY mod of a generic design. I have won two auctions - one for the cheapest model ($6.50 in total) and one for a pair of modded PK2 ($18,50 in total). I don't expect big things from the earbuds, but it's interesting to try out. Also I'm looking forward to compare the modded PK2 to my pair.
I should receive them next week...

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #358 of 75,563
Quote:
On another note. I want to tip y'all about this seller on Ebay who sells DIY earbuds. He's got DIY mods of Yuin PK2 & PK3 and a mod of Sennheiser MX500 as well as a DIY mod of a generic design. I have won two auctions - one for the cheapest model ($6.50 in total) and one for a pair of modded PK2 ($18,50 in total). I don't expect big things from the earbuds, but it's interesting to try out. Also I'm looking forward to compare the modded PK2 to my pair.
I should receive them next week...

Do update us about those DIY Yuin. I have been looking at them for a while now, not sure whether if this guy is real or too much wishing thinking.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #359 of 75,563
The seller doesn't mention what he does to the buds...aside from the re-cable, do you think he is doing anything else? I saw a mysterious white glob on those PK3....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back