Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #332 of 75,861
Quote:
I found the MX985 for $119 shipped from accessoryjack.com. I did a little googling on them and they appear to be legit. Anyone ever heard of these guys? Here is a link to the listing: http://www.accessoryjack.com/sennheiser-mx985-earphones-with-3-button-remote-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-black.html

Unless this is a very new  model (MX985i?) it seems like an error though as everything I read says the MX985 has a volume control but no ipod remote.

http://www.sennheisernordic.com/nordic/home_en.nsf/root/press_releases_300812-perfect-soundhttp://www.sennheisernordic.com/nordic/home_en.nsf/root/press_releases_300812-perfect-sound

Some people on the forums here said they ordered from Accessory Jack and everything was fine. Search the forums. I would question them about the ipod controls though.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #333 of 75,861
Quote:
Unless this is a very new  model (MX985i?) it seems like an error though as everything I read says the MX985 has a volume control but no ipod remote.

http://www.sennheisernordic.com/nordic/home_en.nsf/root/press_releases_300812-perfect-soundhttp://www.sennheisernordic.com/nordic/home_en.nsf/root/press_releases_300812-perfect-sound

Some people on the forums here said they ordered from Accessory Jack and everything was fine. Search the forums. I would question them about the ipod controls though.

So the volume control is a resistance in the cable, not adjusted in the iPod?

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #334 of 75,861
Yes, the volume control is a resistance in the cable for the MX985. I hate having the volume control on the cable on my MX580, as if the volume isn't set on maximum on the control, the volume on the two channels may differ. The volume control on the MX985 may be better, but it is still a weight on the cable that makes it easier for the earbuds to fall out of the ears. it also is a nuisance when you try to wind up the earphone cord to put them away. Imo Sennheiser should put the volume control on a short extension cable on future models, so people can have the option of using it with the volume control or without it.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #335 of 75,861
That volume control has always stopped me from trying the MX980/MX985...

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #337 of 75,861
Not the Dragon II, but I have been using the AS Feeling...it's a little too neutral for my tastes, but still worth keeping instead of selling.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #342 of 75,861
Quote:
Yes, the volume control is a resistance in the cable for the MX985. I hate having the volume control on the cable on my MX580, as if the volume isn't set on maximum on the control, the volume on the two channels may differ. The volume control on the MX985 may be better, but it is still a weight on the cable that makes it easier for the earbuds to fall out of the ears. it also is a nuisance when you try to wind up the earphone cord to put them away. Imo Sennheiser should put the volume control on a short extension cable on future models, so people can have the option of using it with the volume control or without it.

I just got the MX985 this week and wished that i listened to you. They sound good but they fall out of my ears when running. The little metal volume slider certainly doesn't help. Perhaps they are also a bit big for my ears, or im just used to the smaller yuins fitting in deeper with the lighter plastic. Sigh, I may see about swapping them out for some pk1's instead. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #343 of 75,861
Quote:
I just got the MX985 this week and wished that i listened to you. They sound good but they fall out of my ears when running. The little metal volume slider certainly doesn't help. Perhaps they are also a bit big for my ears, or im just used to the smaller yuins fitting in deeper with the lighter plastic. Sigh, I may see about swapping them out for some pk1's instead. 

Have you removed the silicone ring around the tip of the earbud? After doing that, the MX980 fit my ears much better even if have foams on them. The silicone rings are easy to remove, and not as easy to put back in case you want to sell them, and removing them do make for a better overall fit.

I read earlier in the thread that you liked the Yuin PK2. Why not buy a pair of PK2 for when you are out running and then using the MX985 other times? I think both are great and I will not get rid of my pair of PK2's. There are other earbuds that are better overall, but I love the airy sound of the PK2.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #345 of 75,861
Quote:

Have you removed the silicone ring around the tip of the earbud? After doing that, the MX980 fit my ears much better even if have foams on them. The silicone rings are easy to remove, and not as easy to put back in case you want to sell them, and removing them do make for a better overall fit.

I read earlier in the thread that you liked the Yuin PK2. Why not buy a pair of PK2 for when you are out running and then using the MX985 other times? I think both are great and I will not get rid of my pair of PK2's. There are other earbuds that are better overall, but I love the airy sound of the PK2.

I have not removed the ring. I may look into that. I sent an email to inquire about returning them but i suspect that with international shipping and possible restocking fee will kill that. I did mention that i loved my PK2's and it gave me the bug i guess. When they were stolen it made me wonder if i loved them so much, maybe i would like ______ better. Hence the upgrade fever. If i can't return/sell these for a decent price i prob will just get a pk2 for jogging and keep the MX985's for my work listening. Sure wish there was a local place to demo the PK1 though. That will always be in the back of my mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back