Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #376 of 75,449
I'm looking for the same and am gob-smacked that there isn't a huge market for high-end earbuds for phones!

I've heard that adding a mic inline can/does reduce sound quality - is this true?

Technically, yes. Anytime additional circuitry is added to a component, unwanted noise and draw is introduced. The extent of this, and the measures in place to reduce this is beyond my pay grade.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #378 of 75,449
ES903. CM707 will work if you are willing to EQ the treble up a bit.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #379 of 75,449
Quote:
Hi ClieOS,

Which one between Ubiquo ES903, CM707, 9wave Studio Pro will you recommend if I mainly listen to pop and female vocal?
biggrin.gif

i got the es903. very good for pop. my sleeping earbuds :D

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #380 of 75,449
Quote:

Do update us about those DIY Yuin. I have been looking at them for a while now, not sure whether if this guy is real or too much wishing thinking.

This guy's for real!

Will update more later, but I can say that the modded PK2 don't sound exactly like the regular ones. They are a bit more quiet and the mids are less forward. However, the soundstage has got a very good depth/3D feel, something that the regular PK2 lacks completly. Just imagine the soundstage on the regular PK2 as an accordian that's pushed together. This guy's mods seem to have pulled out the accordian/soundstage so that you get a great sense of depth, and better imaging and instrument separation as well. Much of the nice PK2 mids seem to have gotten lost in the process, but now I would say that these earbuds are closer to the Blox ANV3 & TM7, and Sennheiser MX980 when it comes to the overall balance.

You SHOULD REALLY get the cheap Dasetn Audio AP8 (the ones I wrote about before) considering the price (around $10). The modded PK2 are also a sure recommendation!

Like I wrote, I'll compare the regular PK2 to the modded version later.

Edit: the only concerns I have is about how he can be consistent in the earbuds he makes. If it's all DIY, how can he guaranteee that all earbuds from the same series sound similar?

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #382 of 75,449
Danneq surely give this guy a big promotion :D.i have a pair of yuin pk2 from this guy but do not have the original so i can not compare but one thing i do not like is the cable is not straight down but curve :wink:

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #383 of 75,449
Quote:
I'mma buy one of his DIY PK2's, can't resist.

You should try to win an auction. $40 with free shipping is good considering how they sound, but you can get them cheap if you win an auction. I won my pair for $18,50 and I've seen them go for less than that.

Quote:
Danneq surely give this guy a big promotion
biggrin.gif
.i have a pair of yuin pk2 from this guy but do not have the original so i can not compare but one thing i do not like is the cable is not straight down but curve
wink.gif

If he can keep the quality on what he makes, he could be a competitor to Blox and Yuin. The cable is harder than on regular Yuin earbuds, but it feels like quality cables.
Overall, the regular Yuin has got a more forward and lively presentation. I really like the sweet mids on it.
The modded version feels much more distant, so you have to turn the volume up a bit. But what you lose in forwardness you gain in sense of soundstage.
Yuin should hire the guy and release this earbud as Yuin PK22 or Yuin PK2 V2 (or something like that).

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #384 of 75,449
Are they really Yuin components though?

Is he using another little-know (and much cheaper) brand and selling them as Yuin?

Does Yuin really sell their gear for other people to Mod?

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #386 of 75,449
Quote:
Are they really Yuin components though?

Is he using another little-know (and much cheaper) brand and selling them as Yuin?

Does Yuin really sell their gear for other people to Mod?

The housing is definitely the same as the Yuin PK series. There are no markings on the earbuds except for the L and R. They do sound different from the PK2, but to my ears the difference is mainly the soundstage being deeper. There's no loss of detail or anything. Rather you get more detail becuase of the improved depth and sense of instrument placement in the soundstage. However, you do lose much of the great mids from the regular PK2. The overall sound character of the PK2 mod would be a PK2 where you are moved further back from the stage. You lose the intimate feel but instead get a better overview.
I have always experienced the PK2 as very 2D in its presentation. I really like the mids and the airy quality, but at the same time I love deep soundstages, like on Blox TM7, Sennheiser MX980 and vintage earbuds such as Aiwa HP D9 and Sony MDR-E252. To my ears. there's a definite depth in the soundstage on both the AP8 and PK2 mod that's lacking in most current earbud models.

Overall, the build quality of both the AP8 and PK2 mod feel like very high quality. I'd say they feel more professional than the Blox earbuds (even if they don't reach the same level in sound). The AP8 must be made from counterfeit ATH EC700 parts that the seller has got cheap (ATH EC700 is an older clip-on earbud model from Audio Technica). The housing appears to be the same as on the ATH EC700 and there's the ATH logo on the Y splitter and on the plug. If I didn't know better, I would mistake them for a new ATH earbud model.
I don't know how the EC700 sounds like. I do have the CM700, which is the regular earbud model released around the same time as the EC700. I don't know if the AP8 sounds anything like the EC700, but it sounds nothing like the CM700. CM700 has got much smoother mids and a more clear quality to its sound. The AP8 sounds more rough around the edges, as if the mids aren't fully "tamed". But while the CM700 has got a wider soundstage than the AP8, it doesn't have much depth. The AP8 has got good depth and okay width. For something that costs around $10 it sounds amazing.

Quote:
How is the size of the Dasetn Audio AP8 compared with the Yuin PK3?
Got the MX760 but am thinking about replacing them with some PK3 because they are smaller, more confortable and faster to fit.

The AP8 are about as big as the MX760 and bigger than the PK series housings.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #387 of 75,449
Here are some photos of the PK2 mod and AP8:

First, the PK2 mod:

I received a case with the earbuds:

The mod feels more sturdy than the regular PK2, with the cable, Y splitter and plug looking and feeling like quality stuff:

A closer look at the Y-splitter:

The grill is the same as on the regular PK2:

Comparison between the regular PK2 and the modded version: Thicker, right?

Two more photos of the AP8, with the Audio Technica plug:

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #388 of 75,449
Ok, I'm sick of my mx 760. I hate the cable, the plug, and the bass causes them to distort easily (this is my second pair)

Since the MC2 are not available I'm thinking in buying a my 3rd pair of PK3. Anyone knows where these can be bought with shipping to europe?
Buying in ebay is risky because of the counterfeit ones right?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #390 of 75,449
Quote:
Ok, I'm sick of my mx 760. I hate the cable, the plug, and the bass causes them to distort easily (this is my second pair)

Since the MC2 are not available I'm thinking in buying a my 3rd pair of PK3. Anyone knows where these can be bought with shipping to europe?
Buying in ebay is risky because of the counterfeit ones right?

Thanks in advance.

I second Sparky191. The MX760 don't distort from bass. They must be broken or you are pushing the volume too high.

About Yuin earbuds, I don't think that it is common with fakes. I've bought 2 pairs of PK2 & 2 pairs of PK3 from Ebay sellers with good reputation. I have no reason to doubt that I have received the real thing. Chinese are not interested in copying Chinese brands. They care about Japanese, German or US brands. Just about all Audio Technica headphones are copied in China. The same is true for Sennheiser. But usually Chinese look down in domestic brands and therefore those do not need to worry about having their products copied.

Anyway, that is my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back