Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #391 of 75,440
I thought my first pair was faulty so I exchanged them. Now the second pair is showing the same faults. 
It's not necessarily from the base, but some frequencies make them distort.

I use the volume really low, 1, 2, or 3  bars out of the 16 my macbook has. Never ever passed from the middle (8 bars)...
It is unlikely, but it is possible that both units were faulty.

Nevertheless, besides the PK3's my other option are the apple earpods..

Thoughts?

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #392 of 75,440
Just wanted to give some quick first impressions on the Dasetn AP8 and modded Yuin PK2.

First off: the AP8s are excellent! Fit is a bit of an issue, but I'm really liking the warm and relaxed sound. Nice depth of soundstage!

As for the modded Yuin PK2: I don't really like these at all. The mids are just to far forward to the point of sounding bloated, and they have very little soundstage. It's still early and I'll give them some more time, but I'm really regretting buying two pairs of these. (I must have been drunk or something as I didn't realize I bid on two listings! :rolleyes: ) I've never had the chance to try the stock PK2, but I'm almost wondering if I got some bum pairs. To point out the positives: I like the cable, and the cases these came with are pretty good, at least. :p

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #393 of 75,440
Quote:
Just wanted to give some quick first impressions on the Dasetn AP8 and modded Yuin PK2.

I've been waiting for someone else to chime in! 

Agree completely on the AP8! Great and dirt cheap!

However, to me the modded PK2 have got much thinner/pushed back mids compared to the regular version. The regular version is a bit warmer and seems to be more forgiving of different styles of music. The modded PK2 seems to work best with acoustic and more laid back music. Despite the mids being pushed back compared to the regular PK2, there seems to be a sort of spike somwhere in the upper (?) mids. I notice it with some harder music and after comparing it to my regular PK2, I have noticed that it's there on them as well. Just not as apparent. You are perhaps sensitive to that spike in the mids?

The soundstage is huge, at least on my pair. It's pretty wide and tall on the regular PK2, but the modded has got great depth as well.
Perhaps the seller hasn't had such a good quality control and our pairs sound different? Have you compared the two pairs that you bought?
Or we are having different impressions of them?

The seller recommends burn in. While I am not 100% convinced of burn in changing the sound signature of headphones, the mids on the AP8 seem to have become a bit softer after a few hours of use.

I won a pair of modded PK3 ($8,50!) as well and next week I'll buy a pair of the MX1. Then I'll have a complete collection of his earbud models. All for around the same price as a new pair of regular Yuin PK2!

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #395 of 75,440
I bought a pair of the DIY PK2s, and have a pair of the DIY PK3s on the way.

Impressions of the PK2s... Not very impressive out of the box, veiled sounding and not very clear.

But they really opened up with some burn in, and now the sound is really quite something. Smooth, warm and completely non-fatiguing. The kind of sound that you can listen to for hours.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #396 of 75,440
Have you compared the two pairs that you bought?

Or we are having different impressions of them?

The seller recommends burn in. While I am not 100% convinced of burn in changing the sound signature of headphones, the mids on the AP8 seem to have become a bit softer after a few hours of use.

Both pairs sound about the same to me. It's funny because I agree 100% with your impressions on the AP8 (including the lessening of the midrange harshness), but these PK2s just sound disappointing. I'll let them burn-in a little, but I'm not expecting miracles. Both pairs will probably be up for sale eventually.

Anyway, looking forward to your impressions on the other modded buds!

I bought a pair of the DIY PK2s, and have a pair of the DIY PK3s on the way.

Impressions of the PK2s... Not very impressive out of the box, veiled sounding and not very clear.

But they really opened up with some burn in, and now the sound is really quite something. Smooth, warm and completely non-fatiguing. The kind of sound that you can listen to for hours.

That's good to hear. I'll give the PK2s a little more time.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #397 of 75,440
Sorry for the double post, and for derailing your thread, Tai...

I went ahead and burned in the modded PK2s overnight. They seem to be slightly more open-sounding, but I can't help but feel like I'm listening to a different earphone than others (when looking at reviews of the original PK2). I tried searching the forums, seeing people commenting about the lively sound and smooth, musical mids, and as I read I became more and more confused, thinking I have two broken pairs. That is, until I found this post which describes what I'm hearing almost exactly. I'm wondering if there is a quality control issue, and if there is, does it lie with Dasetn or Yuin?

For the heck of it, I decided to use more porous and thin foams; this seems to work much better. The foams that came with my modded PK2s are much too thick. The PK2s now sound much more transparent. I'm still not used to the midrange coloration, but I'll give these guys a little bit more time before I decide what to do with them. I will probably sell one of the two pairs though as I don't see any reason for me to keep two of them.

Going back to your question about the mids, Danneq (sorry for missing it the first time):
The peak I hear isn't quite in the upper mids, though I can't pinpoint exactly where it is. All I can say is it's a similar peak / resonance to what I heard with the Hifiman (then Head-Direct) RE2, which led me to selling them. I'm very sensitive when it comes to mids, while I have a bit more tolerance for upper mids. That's why in general I tend to gravitate toward earbuds and IEMs with slightly recessed and / or laid-back mids, the Etymotic HF3 being a notable exception; I hear no such resonance with the Etys, strangely enough. I was kind of anticipating having the issue with the PK2s, but thought the increase in soundstage would help it out a bit. Apparently it wasn't enough for my cursed ears! :frowning2:
EDIT: Surprisingly, the thin foams seem to make the midrange resonance a lot less noticeable. I think these might work out after all!

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #398 of 75,440
Dudes, how are you burning in your buds?

By just playing the radio all night long or do you use a special burning in soundtrack? 

How many hours would y'all recommend and how high do you keep the volume?

Do you have to use a proper HiFi deck or can I just plug them in to my iPod?

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #399 of 75,440
Burn in needs to be performed for precisely 7 hours, 10 minutes and 36 seconds. Volume needs to be set at exactly -14.325 decibals. Sounds need to include Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, several Merzbow albums (take your pick) and Coltrane's Ascension album.

Best results are achieved at 5000 feet above sea level, using WAV files and during the full moon.

:wink:

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #400 of 75,440
For the record, when I have burned in, it was using static on my integrated reciever, at a mildly uncomfortable volume :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #401 of 75,440
Static like White Noise? Mildly uncomfortable volume? Were you sat there for the whole 7:10:36 listening to static? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #402 of 75,440
LOL...yup...doubled as a sonic palate cleanser for my mind and ears.

Doubtless real music would be better than static, I was just didn't want to find a station ( I hate radio ), and didn't want to leave my PC on overnight...

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #403 of 75,440
Got a pleasant surprise today...I bid on a pair of the Dasetn, and lost yesterday. Today I got an offer to "Buy It Now" a pair for $5...snapped it up :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #404 of 75,440
Quote:
Sorry for the double post, and for derailing your thread, Tai...

I went ahead and burned in the modded PK2s overnight. They seem to be slightly more open-sounding, but I can't help but feel like I'm listening to a different earphone than others (when looking at reviews of the original PK2). I tried searching the forums, seeing people commenting about the lively sound and smooth, musical mids, and as I read I became more and more confused, thinking I have two broken pairs. That is, until I found this post which describes what I'm hearing almost exactly. I'm wondering if there is a quality control issue, and if there is, does it lie with Dasetn or Yuin?

For the heck of it, I decided to use more porous and thin foams; this seems to work much better. The foams that came with my modded PK2s are much too thick. The PK2s now sound much more transparent. I'm still not used to the midrange coloration, but I'll give these guys a little bit more time before I decide what to do with them. I will probably sell one of the two pairs though as I don't see any reason for me to keep two of them.

Going back to your question about the mids, Danneq (sorry for missing it the first time):
The peak I hear isn't quite in the upper mids, though I can't pinpoint exactly where it is. All I can say is it's a similar peak / resonance to what I heard with the Hifiman (then Head-Direct) RE2, which led me to selling them. I'm very sensitive when it comes to mids, while I have a bit more tolerance for upper mids. That's why in general I tend to gravitate toward earbuds and IEMs with slightly recessed and / or laid-back mids, the Etymotic HF3 being a notable exception; I hear no such resonance with the Etys, strangely enough. I was kind of anticipating having the issue with the PK2s, but thought the increase in soundstage would help it out a bit. Apparently it wasn't enough for my cursed ears!
frown.gif

EDIT: Surprisingly, the thin foams seem to make the midrange resonance a lot less noticeable. I think these might work out after all!

Well, the modded PK2 and the regular don't sound that much alike. They share the overall character, but I find the modded more enjoyable than the regular version (except for the mids which I find to be better on the regular version).

Overall, the modded PK2 are not as musical as the regular ones and have a somewhat cold and clinical sound. But at the same time I find them to be more transparent, mainly because of the increased soundstage and improved instrument placement.

I've just put donut foams on them. At first I used regular foams that were a bit thick, and the donut foams might reduce the midrange resonance. About the resonance, I'm just taking a swing at where it might be since I have not seen a FQ curve of the modded PK2 (and don't really know how to produce one myself). The peak might be in the lower mids. Anyway, I find it most noticable when guitar chords or voices ring out.

Quote:
Got a pleasant surprise today...I bid on a pair of the Dasetn, and lost yesterday. Today I got an offer to "Buy It Now" a pair for $5...snapped it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Which model? That's a great price no matter what!

Hmmm... It's actually a bit sad. The state of the earbud market, that is. There are new IEM's introduced every week and with only a handful of earbud makers, here we are getting excited over a DIY guy's earbuds. I really wish that more companies would get into the earbud market. Well, at least Blox might release a new model late this year/early next winter...

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #405 of 75,440
Quote:
Got a pleasant surprise today...I bid on a pair of the Dasetn, and lost yesterday. Today I got an offer to "Buy It Now" a pair for $5...snapped it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice! I got my pair of DIY PK2's for 15.50 and 2 shipping by winning an auction.

Quote:

Which model? That's a great price no matter what!

Hmmm... It's actually a bit sad. The state of the earbud market, that is. There are new IEM's introduced every week and with only a handful of earbud makers, here we are getting excited over a DIY guy's earbuds. I really wish that more companies would get into the earbud market. Well, at least Blox might release a new model late this year/early next winter...

Couldn't agree more Danneq. Especially since I have small inner ears and am limited to yuin and yuin knockoffs. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back