Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #35,791 of 75,149
It sucks because I only got these two weeks ago but I'm considering moving on my Airman HE-150s w/ upgrade cable. Mostly because I can't find a comfortable way to wear them - cable up makes the area around my ears hurt after a bit, and cable down puts too much weight on the cable itself so I can't fit them properly. Damn it. I was hoping I'd love these because the sound is extremely my thing but I just... don't? So y'know, if you're interested... :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #35,792 of 75,149
Nice comparison Danneq!
And one thing, TM9's plug is not Oyaide. It is just a regular plug that looks like the Oyaide plug imo.

Thanks!

Are you sure? Herry uses Oyaide for Cypherus earbuds (straight or L-shaped) and the TM9 looks like the one on ZoomFred and CampFred 1 & 2.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #35,793 of 75,149
Thanks!

Are you sure? Herry uses Oyaide for Cypherus earbuds (straight or L-shaped) and the TM9 looks like the one on ZoomFred and CampFred 1 & 2.
Yeah Herry definitely used Oyaide for his earbuds.
For now the easiest way to tell them apart is the length of the part in the picture I attached.
Oyaide is the shorter one.
IMG_20180928_002129.jpg

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #35,795 of 75,149
**** PT25 earpods!

Pros:

Wide/deep holophonic sound-stage.
Excellent resolution of micro details – with highlighted midrange.
Accurate depth of imaging & layering of instruments.
Analogue/warm/brightly tuned graphene drivers
4-core silver/copper cable.

Cons:

Takes time to adjust to earpod form factor.
Treble EQ boost can lead to sibilance.
No option for longer length or balanced plug cable.
Bass quantity/resolution could be more pronounced.

Build, comfort & fit:

Very light and sleek shells sporting a brushed aluminum finish with minimal ear protrusion.
Build quality of the metal shells is excellent with uber tight MMCX connectors - supplied with 2 pairs of silicons covers (one pair with ear hooks.) With attached silicons the in-ear comfort level is superb & they’re incredibly light and unobtrusive.
One thing I always try out with new buds is to cup both hands over ears & buds - to ascertain if the bass/sub bass quantity can be improved by reducing any sound leakage.
I found that the best way to achieve the perfect seal with PT25 is to attach the non-hook silicons first – then overlay them with the 2nd hooked pair. This results in having minimal shell movement - giving the listener more reassurance that they’ll stay in place.

The supplied half silver/ half copper MMCX cable is of excellent quality. For this price I wasn't expecting a 4-core cable. This is a bonus if you plan to re-cable with a balanced 2.5 jack plug.
Fortunately, I’d already got a balanced MMCX cable ready to exchange - balanced as you’d expect bolstering the frequency range & enhancing micro details (in comparison to SE output.) Also the sound-stage is given greater sense of “air” alongside a feeling of a more holophonic 3D sound!

Sound signature:

The brightness of the dynamic graphene drivers is apparent; hence the PT25 sound signature is certainly not neutral, presenting a warmer and very energetic signature. Three holes drilled into the rear of shell housings can be modded with tape - to further increase bass response.
Imho they are light years ahead of Apple earpods - having a much brighter tuning & tonality. They sound fine out of the box and start to sparkle after a few hours burn in, becoming much smoother & less abrasive than initially perceived - generating an intimate “live” performance feeling. They respond well to EQ – but a cautious approach (compared to EB2) is required when boosting midrange/ high frequencies (500 – 23kHz) - in order to avoid the onset of harshness & sibilance!

Genre/listening preferences:

The majority of tracks in my collection are electronica, indie, soundscapes and binaural recordings….
PT25 are another superb all-rounder! - Accurately rendering all genres such as: female vocals / pop / rock / classical & jazz.

Comparisons:

PT15 vs PT25
The difference in SQ is night and day, both have graphene drivers, however PT25 renders far more details, conveying a much wider, deeper holophonic soundstage.
To my ears, there seems to be an ever-present, overriding rumble sound in the original PT15. The bass bleed into the mids becomes quite an annoying distraction - making them sound very muddy in comparison (even with a balanced cable.) Conversely, the quantity of bass of the PT25 is much more distinct and never succumbs to image congestion.

EB2 vs PT25
A similarity in specifications is reflected in their mutual sound signatures. The combination of the PT25’s form factor & graphene drivers seems to recess the bass/sub bass slightly, whilst pushing the mids more forward resulting in an emphasis of micro details.
They are both intimate but have different tonalities to sound refreshing. Switching to a balanced cable adds an extra dimension to the soundstage of the PT25 – offering seamless transfer between SE & balanced sources. EB2 are slightly more refined with warmer vocals and realism of instruments, however despite this, both buds complement each other perfectly for a wide range of genres.

Conclusions & Verdict:

Similar to the EB2 they can both hold their own alongside more expensive buds, with controlled raw energy that encourages you to re-appreciate your album collection. The combination of low impedance, high sensitivity means that they’re easily driven with smartphone, DAP etc via SE or balanced outputs. PT25 have a fast attack response making percussion tracks really pop - whilst bell / plucked / hammered sounds have a very realistic resonant chime.
Admittedly, bass realism & resolution is a tad more recessed than EB2, the star of the show being the tonality of the mids – which are pushed forward in the mix. PT25 has minimal fatigue with extended listening sessions - both pairs have a sense of energy and “musicality” whilst being interchangeable & easily switchable, helping to maintain a fresh contrast of tonality!

· Sound signature: 4.2/5
· Soundstage: 4.5/5
· Micro-details: 4.5/5
· Bass: 4.2/5
· Mids: 5/5
· Treble: 4.2/5
· Value: 4.5/5

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SFR...105.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4eab4c4dsnIEoJ

IMG_0706.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #35,798 of 75,149
On another note, going back to listen to the Yincrow X6, they sound so....BAD now that I have been using the Willsound MK2 for so long...all the mids sound thin, it makes the instruments sound like midi-files...I can't believe I used them for so long and enjoyed them quite a bit!

Does anyone know if they would sound better if I were to re-cable them? I heard re-cabled Vidos are great, and they use the same drivers...If so, what kind of wires should I get to "save" them?

Honestly, for that kind of money, you might as well get the Yincrow RW-777 on 11.11. They will likely be under $40, and they are currently the best sounding earbuds I own in terms of a more accurate sound signature. The fit can be finnicky, but the sound signature is more neutral, with a hint of warmth--definitely the best balance of tuning out of all my chi-fi stuff. Probably the closest buds I have to my AKG K7XX right now.

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #35,799 of 75,149
got an e-mail from Herry of Cypherus earlier today.

He enclosed the following photo:
image1.jpeg

He writes:
"Just wanted to let you know that I’ve made the sibling of Your Red Dragon

Its Focal Utopia in earbuds shell

By far, this is the best I’ve ever made."

I thought it was Focal Elear but apparently it was Focal Utopia that the buyer wanted his pair of Red Dragon tuned as.

I asked about the cable. The same as on White CampFred?

His reply:
"Nope, cable is different. This one using custom silver gold cable with cryogenic treatment. It is really flexible.

The buyer is asking to tune to focal utopia as he has one and would like to get in smaller form for on the go. "

I would REALLY like to hear that one! Herry used to think that my pair of Red Dragon was the best he'd made...

It looks like this pair of Red Dragon even can be used outside unlike my pair!

That's why I've called Red Dragon a concept rather than a line of earbuds: The focus is on sound, and then cables, tuning and other things are adapted to the customers wishes.

My pair in contrast to the younger brother:
RD.PNG

Borrowed another photo from the Cypherus homepage to show how fat the lower part of the cable is on my pair of Red Dragon:
18556098_428526460851735_3597437426115400343_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #35,800 of 75,149
I do! They are surprisingly quite good! Nice wide soundstage, but not much depth. Good extension up and down, clear, and definitely good all-arounders. In the vein of (in my experience) MX365, but maybe a bit brighter? I ordered emx500s ages ago but they are long lost in the mail. Probably similar to your basic emx500, vido, etc...? Still very good.
Finally someone who have tried these! they are amazing for what they're supposed to be: a cheap included earphone with a cheap dap.

In any case
Could i ask you all how can make earbuds more comfortable? Is there any way to put something different except the simple foam?
Seems like they push into my ear giving me discomfort, maybe some silicon stuff could help but i'm new in earbuds as i always use IEMs

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #35,801 of 75,149
Yeah Herry definitely used Oyaide for his earbuds.
For now the easiest way to tell them apart is the length of the part in the picture I attached.
Oyaide is the shorter one.
Not to say the TM9 plug is off less quality. May be a good clone :)

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #35,802 of 75,149
got an e-mail from Herry of Cypherus earlier today.

He enclosed the following photo:

He writes:
"Just wanted to let you know that I’ve made the sibling of Your Red Dragon

Its Focal Utopia in earbuds shell

By far, this is the best I’ve ever made."

I thought it was Focal Elear but apparently it was Focal Utopia that the buyer wanted his pair of Red Dragon tuned as.

I asked about the cable. The same as on White CampFred?

His reply:
"Nope, cable is different. This one using custom silver gold cable with cryogenic treatment. It is really flexible.

The buyer is asking to tune to focal utopia as he has one and would like to get in smaller form for on the go. "

I would REALLY like to hear that one! Herry used to think that my pair of Red Dragon was the best he'd made...

It looks like this pair of Red Dragon even can be used outside unlike my pair!

That's why I've called Red Dragon a concept rather than a line of earbuds: The focus is on sound, and then cables, tuning and other things are adapted to the customers wishes.

My pair in contrast to the younger brother:

Borrowed another photo from the Cypherus homepage to show how fat the lower part of the cable is on my pair of Red Dragon:
So did he tune the one your bought second hand to a particular headphone tuning? Did you ever ask herry? Would be cool if you could here the headphone and red dragon side by side and pick out the similarities.

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #35,803 of 75,149
**** PT25 earpods!

Pros:

Wide/deep holophonic sound-stage.
Excellent resolution of micro details – with highlighted midrange.
Accurate depth of imaging & layering of instruments.
Analogue/warm/brightly tuned graphene drivers
4-core silver/copper cable.

Cons:

Takes time to adjust to earpod form factor.
Treble EQ boost can lead to sibilance.
No option for longer length or balanced plug cable.
Bass quantity/resolution could be more pronounced.

Build, comfort & fit:

Very light and sleek shells sporting a brushed aluminum finish with minimal ear protrusion.
Build quality of the metal shells is excellent with uber tight MMCX connectors - supplied with 2 pairs of silicons covers (one pair with ear hooks.) With attached silicons the in-ear comfort level is superb & they’re incredibly light and unobtrusive.
One thing I always try out with new buds is to cup both hands over ears & buds - to ascertain if the bass/sub bass quantity can be improved by reducing any sound leakage.
I found that the best way to achieve the perfect seal with PT25 is to attach the non-hook silicons first – then overlay them with the 2nd hooked pair. This results in having minimal shell movement - giving the listener more reassurance that they’ll stay in place.

The supplied half silver/ half copper MMCX cable is of excellent quality. For this price I wasn't expecting a 4-core cable. This is a bonus if you plan to re-cable with a balanced 2.5 jack plug.
Fortunately, I’d already got a balanced MMCX cable ready to exchange - balanced as you’d expect bolstering the frequency range & enhancing micro details (in comparison to SE output.) Also the sound-stage is given greater sense of “air” alongside a feeling of a more holophonic 3D sound!

Sound signature:

The brightness of the dynamic graphene drivers is apparent; hence the PT25 sound signature is certainly not neutral, presenting a warmer and very energetic signature. Three holes drilled into the rear of shell housings can be modded with tape - to further increase bass response.
Imho they are light years ahead of Apple earpods - having a much brighter tuning & tonality. They sound fine out of the box and start to sparkle after a few hours burn in, becoming much smoother & less abrasive than initially perceived - generating an intimate “live” performance feeling. They respond well to EQ – but a cautious approach (compared to EB2) is required when boosting midrange/ high frequencies (500 – 23kHz) - in order to avoid the onset of harshness & sibilance!

Genre/listening preferences:

The majority of tracks in my collection are electronica, indie, soundscapes and binaural recordings….
PT25 are another superb all-rounder! - Accurately rendering all genres such as: female vocals / pop / rock / classical & jazz.

Comparisons:

PT15 vs PT25
The difference in SQ is night and day, both have graphene drivers, however PT25 renders far more details, conveying a much wider, deeper holophonic soundstage.
To my ears, there seems to be an ever-present, overriding rumble sound in the original PT15. The bass bleed into the mids becomes quite an annoying distraction - making them sound very muddy in comparison (even with a balanced cable.) Conversely, the quantity of bass of the PT25 is much more distinct and never succumbs to image congestion.

EB2 vs PT25
A similarity in specifications is reflected in their mutual sound signatures. The combination of the PT25’s form factor & graphene drivers seems to recess the bass/sub bass slightly, whilst pushing the mids more forward resulting in an emphasis of micro details.
They are both intimate but have different tonalities to sound refreshing. Switching to a balanced cable adds an extra dimension to the soundstage of the PT25 – offering seamless transfer between SE & balanced sources. EB2 are slightly more refined with warmer vocals and realism of instruments, however despite this, both buds complement each other perfectly for a wide range of genres.

Conclusions & Verdict:

Similar to the EB2 they can both hold their own alongside more expensive buds, with controlled raw energy that encourages you to re-appreciate your album collection. The combination of low impedance, high sensitivity means that they’re easily driven with smartphone, DAP etc via SE or balanced outputs. PT25 have a fast attack response making percussion tracks really pop - whilst bell / plucked / hammered sounds have a very realistic resonant chime.
Admittedly, bass realism & resolution is a tad more recessed than EB2, the star of the show being the tonality of the mids – which are pushed forward in the mix. PT25 has minimal fatigue with extended listening sessions - both pairs have a sense of energy and “musicality” whilst being interchangeable & easily switchable, helping to maintain a fresh contrast of tonality!

· Sound signature: 4.2/5
· Soundstage: 4.5/5
· Micro-details: 4.5/5
· Bass: 4.2/5
· Mids: 5/5
· Treble: 4.2/5
· Value: 4.5/5

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SFR...105.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4eab4c4dsnIEoJ

Size comparison with the earpods? They might be to large for me

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #35,804 of 75,149
Assume your ear is too small for mx500
So using any foam will make it worst , should one go without any foam ?
This is completely unintuitive, but you should also try using more foam (i.e. double or even triple foams). It makes the earbud a larger puffy ball and shifts the position. Depending on the shape of your ear, it could settle into a secure spot. This worked for me with Rose Mojito, which has a size and shape that aren't a good match to my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back