Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 27, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #34,097 of 74,456
Speaking of no foams. Do many of you use buds without foams?

Rarely I use earbuds without one, unless the earbuds' SQ really degrades with any type of foam. Otherwise I usually stick to donut or muilti-holes foam.

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #34,098 of 74,456
Blox earphones was never bad to begin with, the TM7 was my first from them and that was an mind-blowing experience with my first earbud. It was from then I started earbud journey and ended up with mojito(was #2) and stardust (was #1 ) .they are still good but not on the TM9 level.

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #34,099 of 74,456
sigh... thanks to this sub i now have the metal geill graphenes and the yincrow rw-777 on the way. hopefully the wife wont wont notice.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #34,101 of 74,456
@golov

Or anyone really. Got any taobao links for custom metal shells for 15.6 diameter? To fit mx500 type drivers.

Placed an order for the metal 14.8mm shells that you linked golov (thank you!) but now im wondering if there's any high quality metal shells to fit mx500 drivers so I can custom some earbuds.

Any links for me to check out would be appreciated!

Aug 28, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #34,103 of 74,456
Ok ya'll, be prepared for a wall of text because, here comes my
HEADPHONE SHOWDOWN
P93buVa.jpg

(FAAEAL DATURA-X, AKG K7XX, PortaPros (with Yaxi Pads), RE0, VE MONK+

I'm going to start this by first apologizing that this isn't a well written review by any means. Most of it is stream of consciousness style note-taking while listening to the different headphones. I don't really have the time it takes to write, and more importantly, edit a real review. Plus, I'm no expert by any means--just a family man with hobby.

TL:DR: Datura-X is second only to the AKG on resolution, timbre, instrument separation and overall frequency response presentation. It cons are a peak in the 2-4kHz, and it lacks soundstage and good note decay.

Ok, so what is note decay? I may have totally made this up and there is likely a real term and definition for this, but in my noggin note decay is sound combined with the feeling of space created outside your head as a note dissipates away. For example, think of pressing a note on a piano real fast in a very small padded room. Now think of pressing and holding that note down in a concert hall. The decaying note travels away effortlessly into the infinite beyond. Each type of headphone, be it IEM, Earbud, or full-sized headphone represents this differently. This is different to me than soundstage. Soundstage to me is the overall space notes that are played at that instant have. Obviously headphones with a good soundstage likely have a better sense of note decay, but this isn't always the case. Regardless, here is a graphic I made to visualize this concept:

oFEFFiC.png

What this illustration is trying to show is a visual representation of how much potential soundstage and sound decay each type of headphone can give you. Sure, the Audeze iSine and the Sennheiser IE800 both probably have much bigger soundstages than what is represented in the IEM category, but they are the exception not the rule. What is most interesting to me though is amount of note decay possible in an earbud because they can be made with the same amount of openness as a full-sized open back headphone. Sure their soundstage will never reach the cavernous depths of a Sennheiser HD800, but what they lack in overall soundstage they can make up for in note decay and portability. It is this potential in note decay that intrigues me about earbuds, and it was immediately noticeable to me the minute I first put on the VE MONKS+ I originally purchased. I've been hooked ever since, and I'm sure my wife and wallet thank this sub for this.

Alright, hopefully that gives a basis for why I'm so into this type of audio product. On to the showdown!!

Come Away with Me (Nora Jones)

Datura: slightly peaky piano. Good timbre on singers voice, good balance of warmth and resolution, slight midrange resonance bleeding a hint of clarity in vocals, bass response is solid with minimal bloom and decent speed, 2-4k peak that is noticeable, but not too bad on this song. Soundstage is very intimate, mostly in the head, very little sense outside the head. Instrument separation is quite good for a $20 headphone.

RE0: Less bass response, similar soundstage. Slightly more mid-forward with no resonance, though clarity isn’t quite as good as the Datura. I think there is a similar 2-4K peak actually haha! Noticeable on Nora’s higher notes that she emphasizes. Instrument separation is slightly lacking in comparison. Bass is possibly more accurate but less present and not as warm.

VE MONK+: Slightly larger soundstage, but much bigger sound decay which I love. Notes don’t ever really die, they just smoothly roll away from your head on to infinity--like looking across the ocean. Midrange slightly more recessed than REO or Datura. Smoother midrange and highs, but detail sort of suffers, lower midrange tends to bleed a bit into the upper midrange. Has a more analog sound akin to the PortaPros. Bass is the least accurate and just rolls off pretty hard below 100Hz. Still, the sound decay is what makes me love these so much, given their other flaws.

PortaPros (With Yaxi Pad modification): Bigger soundstage, though the sound never really feels like its in the head and travels out, sounds more like its right outside your head and extends out a bit. Sound decay is quite good, though to my ears no where near as good as the Monk. Vocal midrange is smooth, with the same detail as the RE0, bass is more prominent, probably a little too prominent but its also more accurate in that it seems to resolve all of the bass notes in the song. Highs are very smooth, relaxing sound, instrument separation is close to the Datura on this song. I’d say the highs tend to side with being inoffensive and smooth, sacrificing some resolution and sparkle in the process but not dark or veiled. Overall, the PortaPros sort of wrap you up in a blanket of velvet, and hand you a cup of some fine dark hot chocolate.

AKG K7XX: Out of head sound, piano sounds go back several feet. Note decay is good, but the Monks are even better here. But, the speed of the drivers are what is key here. While decay is less, there is a space between note fall-off and a new note hit that is distinct--this is likely do to the driver’s agility to oscillate and come back to neutral position. It does this the best of the bunch, with the Daturas coming in second. Vocals are extremely well balanced between warm and detailed. The best of the bunch by a significant margin. Instrument separation is fantastic, a little better than the Datura’s--which is really a positive review of the Datura’s. Highs are extremely mature--they are smooth yet revealing, not a hint of the 2-4kHz peak I get from the Chi-Fi duo. If the portaPros wrap you up in velvet, the AKG’s give you a silky liner to go with it.

Best to least best:

• AKG

• PortaPro: Because the song is velvet and the headphones are velvet. Will likely be different with a different song.

• Datura/VE Monk tie: Datura is better in almost every way here, but the VE Monk has that note decay that I love enough to overlook its short-comings and so they tie.

• RE0: Good, but not better at anything than the others imo

Moderat: A New Error (Techno)

Datura: Good speed on the highs here, crisp, well separated with just the right amount of bite for this genre. Bass is substantial, relatively quick though not quite quick enough. Instrument separation is again, quite good especially for such a highly syncopated song. Soundstage a bit too intimate for this genre but not horrible or too congested. Other than the soundstage, the Datura’s sound closest to the AKGs of the bunch.

VE MONK+: Highs are a bit rolled off, speed not quite there. Bass is not great here, very one note. Decent soundstage though. Here the note decay is nice on the high syncopation notes, but the overall lack of speed in the driver, and anemic bass response doesn’t lend itself to this type of music. Instrument presentation is quite good though.

RE0: Highs are well represented, decent speed and separation. Bass is present and accurate though not exciting in any way. Soundstage is intimate, though slightly larger than the Datura. Instrument separation is better than the Monk but not than the Datura. Highs are present, but they are lacking a bit of bite that this type of music really requires. Pretty boring overall presentation for this genre.

PortaPros (With Yaxi Pad modification): Smooth highs, no veil, lacking crispness. Bass is much more impactful, note representation is mostly there though there is too much resonance and the bass bleeds into the upper midrange even. The speed of the driver is likely the issue here. Still, the bass impact does help to make up for its inaccurate representation. Sound is overall a bit too warm for this genre of music, but the soundstage is perfect to my ears for techno. Its not way out of your head, but it does seem to decay outside of the head just enough to envelop you, forcing you to bob your head up and down because nothing says fun like PortaPro sound.

AKG K7XX: Balanced highs that are smooth, yet revealing and just bright enough to have that crisp dynamism that is needed for techno. Bass is extremely accurate, very little resonance but with quite a nice hit to the skull. Instrument separation is its strong suit here. Every syncopated note is clearly defined. Soundstage is the largest of the group, but the note decay is not quite as extended as the portapros on this song.

Best to least best:

• AKG

• Datura: I’ll let the soundstage and lack of note decay slide here because the rest of its qualities, from its driver speed, crisp highs to its well controlled bass clearly put it above the others.

• PortaPros: Lots of impact, most ideal soundstage for this type of music imo and the best note decay of the bunch. It lacks the resolution across the frequency response though.

• RE0: More accurate than the PortaPros, but its just lacking bass and overall instrument/soundstage presentation. Never thought I could get sleepy listening to that song, but the RE0’s got me thinking of bed instead of finishing this review.

• Monk+: Poor frequency response throughout the main spectrum of this song (ie: bass and treble). One note, anemic bass and rolled off highs do not make for a good combination for techno.

Ginnung - Jeremy Soule (Soundtrack/Ambient Orchestra: )

This is definitely my favorite genre of music to listen to while I work. It just puts me in the zone for doing design work for hours on end and its also not so complex in sound that I can respond to emails and distill technical reports into laymen, approachable text.

Datura: Highs have some air to them, well extended. On the big cresendo of the song (at 10:10): the driver kept up with no distortion and solid instrument separation even during what is a very difficult movement of the song. Its two shortcomings likely arise from the same problem: The shell of the Datura are completely sealed except for two very small ports on the bottom. This makes the soundstage congested, and, on complex pieces such as this, the sound stays within the shell adding quite a bit of resonance that bleeds into some of the music. The 2-4kHz peak is also noticeable, bringing forward some of the soprano notes that should not be so forward in the head.

VE Monks: Note decay really makes the strings sing here, and the soundstage/presentation of instruments is quite good even though the stage isn’t huge. Highs are lacking extension for sure and the bass has no impact whatsoever--lucky for the Monk, this song doesn’t require great bass to make the song--unfortunately the highs are a bit too rolled off here. The driver speed is decent enough, though not as dynamic as the Datura here. Still, the note decay really feels like the music is just washing over you and passing through a huge valley amidst a circle of mountains, it even bests the PortaPros on this. This is THE reason I am enamored by earbuds right now, and its why I have already ordered 3 different pairs on Ali Express.

RE0: Smooth upper midrange and highs here though its lacking warmth in the lower-midrange, sparkle in the highs and bass is near non-existent. Speed of the driver is above average, and individual notes in the crescendo are mostly in order, though it lacks that definitive attack on each note that the Datura seems to do so well. Note decay is all in the head and thus, not great imo. Soundstage feels more congested than the Datura.

PortaPros: Highs are a bit too smooth here for this genre of music. Note decay is very good though, extending well beyond my head. Bass has a bit too much rumble. Crescendo is handled surprisingly well, with good individual note dynamism. Some of that dynamism is superseded by the boomy-ness of the bass though. Instrument separation was good, better than I expected and close to the Daturas. Overall soundstage/note presentation is quite good, though I’m left wanting a bit more width for this song. Still, the PortaPros put in an excellent showing for this song.

AKG: Again, balanced highs and upper midrange with this uncanny level of extension while remaining smooth. Note decay is good on the strings, but I think its slightly behind both the PortaPros and the Monks. Soundstage is quite spacious and note presentation/placement are in their proper places. Instrument separation and driver speed on the crescendo are unmatched by the rest of the group here, though the Datura puts in the second best showing.

Best to least best

• AKG: Almost perfect here… just needs a bit more note decay outside of the head.

• PortaPros: Soundstage and note presentation are what put these ahead of the others here.

• VE Monk+: The note decay of strings and haunting choral vocals make me overlook the fact that the Monks are inferior in every other way to the Daturas. It simply just feels damn good with this song.

• Datura: While they place lower in this song, its not for any other issue except for its lack of air, soundstage and note decay. The Datura places second only to the AKGs on image separation, note timbre and how well it handled the complex crescendo. Its not terribly far off, and remember, these are $20 chi-fi headphones compared to $200 full-sized open-back headphones.

• RE0: Your time has come buddy. You have been usurped by $10 chi-fi.

Final thoughts:

Well, I have to admit, I was quite surprised by just how well the $18 Datura-X faired here. Its overall sound accuracy from solid bass representation, smooth and balanced mids and decently dynamic highs, to its driver speed, the Datura truly impressed me. They are more revealing and accurate than anything I tested besides the AKGs. Having said that, my biggest problem with the Datura is its lack of soundstage or note decay. These are really important aspects of sound quality to me that I can overlook imperfections elsewhere more easily. Because of this, my order of preference based on this test goes:

1. AKG (duh)

2. PortaPros

3. TIE: Datura/VE Monks+

4. RE0

Thanks for reading ya’ll. See you again after I get my bounty from AliExpress!

A5kGw1R

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #34,104 of 74,456
How well does it extend in bass and treble? Compared to say Rose Mojito or K's Ling. Extension is more important than massive quantity to me.

It is not exceptionally dynamic like Mojito nor it is deep reaching as Ling, but TM9's extension is still adequate in my book. The key part about TM9, for me, is not that it has one aspect that really stands out over other but the overall presentation is very smooth and in harmony.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #34,106 of 74,456
can anyone point me to the list of contenders in sub-10$ earbuds which have good sub bass with smooth mids and treble
i saw some buds on audiobudget's website i was impressed by the reviews and FRs of these buds at 10$

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #34,107 of 74,456
OMG just received my TM9 today! (faster than I thought)
hype is real guys! :)

Just gave a quick listen (5 minutes), it sounds extremely good but overall I'm less surprised than my EBX.
TM9 is more intimate, which is interesting also.
TM9 subbass and bass has more presence than EBX.
EBX has more forwarded mids and clarity in highs and details.
Let's begin (the long) burning process! see you laters for more impressions :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #34,108 of 74,456
MX980 has been discontinued for 6 yrs now. It was replaced by MX985 which is also discontinued for about 4 yrs now.

Here are a few ToTL earbuds for you to research that are still in the market and not very difficult to get: Moondrop Liebesleid, Shozy BK (or better yet, BK Limited), Simphonio SW-Dragon 2+ (aka SWD2+), Blox TM9, Rose Mojito (classical music only), K's Earphone Black Ling.

How does the sound signature differ between the Shozy BK and BK limited? There's quite a premium for the limited, I assume it has a different sound signature? Do they use the same shells?

How good is the sub-bass extension on the BK? Impact?

Also, how does the Shozy BK shell size compare to the Blox TM9 shell size?

What size driver does the TM9 use? Literally no info on the TM9 on the web but in this thread.

Based on what I've researched so far, it seems the Liebesleid and Shozy have the smallest housings (just going by driver size)? I think my Monk+ are too large for me.

Does anyone know the driver size in the Monk+?

I think what I want in a bud is a non fatiguing fun universal signature with good sub-bass extension, and sound stage. Think a pair of earbuds to sort of simulate a movie theatre experience. I don't like bright phones, for that reason I think the Liebesleid and Mojito are out.

Does anyone in this thread own a pair of Fostex TH-X00 (any variant)? If so, what TOTL bud has a similar signature?

Anyone own the Cypherus Blue Darth? Does the bass and sub-bass muddy up the rest of the frequency range? Is this phone really the bass king of TOTL buds? Does it have any sub-bass or just bass?

Seems there are only less than 10 truly real TOTL low impedance earbuds out there, should be easy to narrow down. Cypherus isn't making things easy though, hard to find info on their buds. Finding any info on this category of product is rather difficult actually.

Slight tangent again:

Anyone using iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/AMP with their buds? Any issues? Noise floor? Older DAC but uses the same chip as my DX90 so I think I might appreciate the consistency. Considering getting it as my main USB DAC/AMP for PC use.

I'm stuck between that, the Oppo HA-2/HA-2SE, one of the ifi nanos, and the Chord Mojito. It's for desktop use so I like the form factors with a desktop friendly potentiometer knob.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #34,109 of 74,456
OMG just received my TM9 today! (faster than I thought)
hype is real guys! :)

Just gave a quick listen (5 minutes), it sounds extremely good but overall I'm less surprised than my EBX.
TM9 is more intimate, which is interesting also.
TM9 subbass and bass has more presence than EBX.
EBX has more forwarded mids and clarity in highs and details.
Let's begin (the long) burning process! see you laters for more impressions :)
- I thought you were having problems with your EBX cables and drivers? - I delayed ordering a pair cos of that! ....Can you elaborate more about the TM9 - why it seems underwhelming compared to EBX?...what about the TM9's soundstage?? (I'd like both buds tbh - but it's an either/or choice!)

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #34,110 of 74,456
I cleared it after you comment....that should have the end of the story...dont drag it...

Share something valuable
Ask something
Learn something

Dont waste time on something trivial

I admit it was my fault

And I know difference between biocellulose and film

Thanks for mentioning my mistake

I thought he would be interested in so called yuin drivers because I was not able to find bio celluloses

By the way @DAndrew do you know where can I get 15.4mm cellulose driver

I found a dual circuit graphene (HF and lf) driver that fits in mx500 shell

No offense, but you need to learn to use quote, multi quote and reply in a single list.
The way you post without context is borderline spamming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back