Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #35,777 of 75,273
A little update for those who are interested in Titanium Ling - there will be two variants: low impendance 32ohm and high impendance 120ohm. Price will be about $340 and $380 accordingly. Cable will be a combination of 5N pure silver and silver palladium alloy strands. Estimated release date will likely be in November.

Wow! Thanks for the update!

November! Hope there will be 11.11 discount!

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #35,778 of 75,273
Look who has a new cable for his ZOE and an Odyssey. 20180927_100153.jpg

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #35,781 of 75,273
I just got the thin foams, and put them on my MK2 and my Yincrow X6s.

KIMG1190.JPG

They are really nice, making more of a difference than I thought. They are more comfortable than naked shells, but a little itchy. They are not as bass heavy as the stock foams, but I found the imaging to improve quite a bit.

Actually, it makes the earbud sound almost naked without having the hard plastic slowly make things uncomfortable, and makes it easier to position the bud just right in the ear. I'm a fan already.

Another nice thing I noticed is that they don't tear very easily. I had to stretch them quite a bit to get them on at first. Other thin foams tore at this point, but not these. Definately worth the 89 cents!

Thanks again!

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #35,782 of 75,273
On another note, going back to listen to the Yincrow X6, they sound so....BAD now that I have been using the Willsound MK2 for so long...all the mids sound thin, it makes the instruments sound like midi-files...I can't believe I used them for so long and enjoyed them quite a bit!

Does anyone know if they would sound better if I were to re-cable them? I heard re-cabled Vidos are great, and they use the same drivers...If so, what kind of wires should I get to "save" them?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #35,784 of 75,273
On another note, going back to listen to the Yincrow X6, they sound so....BAD now that I have been using the Willsound MK2 for so long...all the mids sound thin, it makes the instruments sound like midi-files...I can't believe I used them for so long and enjoyed them quite a bit!

Does anyone know if they would sound better if I were to re-cable them? I heard re-cabled Vidos are great, and they use the same drivers...If so, what kind of wires should I get to "save" them?

the X6 is the upgraded VIDO IIRC. Usually SPC will bring up the highs. Pls confirm with those who modded the vido.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #35,785 of 75,273
I just got the thin foams, and put them on my MK2 and my Yincrow X6s.

They are really nice, making more of a difference than I thought. They are more comfortable than naked shells, but a little itchy. They are not as bass heavy as the stock foams, but I found the imaging to improve quite a bit.

Actually, it makes the earbud sound almost naked without having the hard plastic slowly make things uncomfortable, and makes it easier to position the bud just right in the ear. I'm a fan already.

Another nice thing I noticed is that they don't tear very easily. I had to stretch them quite a bit to get them on at first. Other thin foams tore at this point, but not these. Definately worth the 89 cents!

Thanks again!
They get softer after use I noticed so the itchiness might go away.

And yes the imaging qualities are retained which is not always the case for some other foams. Very transparent but still reduce treble and boost bass by like 10%.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #35,786 of 75,273

Well... That depends on how much you want to spend I guess. Pure silver may save them :D

Or, you can go for the cable I purchased. Pure silver coated OCC. Here's the link, it's a little pricey but nothing compared to pure silver. You can buy in 5m (one 4 core cable) or more.

5m 26AWG Ag99.9% Acrolink Pure Silver plated +7N OCC Copper Signal Teflo AFT Wire Cable 65/0.05mm2 Dia:0.85mm For DIY LN005194
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b7bl4CrI

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #35,787 of 75,273
Well... That depends on how much you want to spend I guess. Pure silver may save them :D

Or, you can go for the cable I purchased. Pure silver coated OCC. Here's the link, it's a little pricey but nothing compared to pure silver. You can buy in 5m (one 4 core cable) or more.

5m 26AWG Ag99.9% Acrolink Pure Silver plated +7N OCC Copper Signal Teflo AFT Wire Cable 65/0.05mm2 Dia:0.85mm For DIY LN005194
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b7bl4CrI

Hmmm, no sure thing either, I guess they are dead!

Or more like they just made the short list for the next time my wife loses her earphones...

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #35,788 of 75,273
Here is a small comparison between Cypherus ZoomFred and Blox TM9. I could have gone into more detail if I wrote this at another time but now it will have to do.

Bass:
ZoomFred > TM9
ZoomFred has got deep and well textured bass. Very good sub bass for a pair of earbuds. It is a bit like the bass on Zen 1, but better. Almost a bit too much for someone who's looking for a more linear FQ response. TM9 has got less sub bass and to me it sounds like there's a bit more midbass. You don't get the same sort of bass kick as with ZoomFred, but still bass is quite good for a pair of earbuds.

Mids:
ZoomFred=TM9
On TM9 vocals sound quite nice. The soundstage is wide and deep but vocals are still up front and warm enough to please just about everyone. ZoomFred sounds more "open" than TM9, even after volume adjustment (on my iBasso R10, I need to lower the volume 5-6 steps when switching from TM9 to ZoomFred, so I suppose ZF is more sensitive than TM9). Mids are slightly closer than on TM9. Vocals sound nice but a bit less warm than on TM9.

Highs:
TM9=ZoomFred
TM9 has got very smooth highs that still are quite extended. They are no where near sibilance or harshness and even rough recordings can sound okay. Those who focus more on clarity and detail might want more "bite" in the treble. But the smoothness should not be mistaken for roll off. ZoomFred's treble is just like TM9's extended but nowhere near a bright sound.

Soundstage:
TM9>ZoomFred
TM9 has got a wide and deep soundstage and only loses to Aiwa HP D9 in my experience. ZoomFred sounds slightly more intimate in comparison but the soundstage is still among the biggest I've heard in a pair of earbuds.

Intrument separation/imaging:
ZoomFred>TM9
ZoomFred has got first class instrument separation. Every instrument has got an almost physical feel and is easily discernable even if the music is busy. TM9 comes close but I feel a bit less weight in the instruments. The big soundstage helps with instrument separation but compared to ZoomFred instruments appear to be slightly further away from the listener.

Overall:
Overall I prefer ZoomFred to TM9. Instruments have got more weight and a more natural timbre on ZoomFred. TM9 is a bit too "polite" even for me. It almost sounds like it's EQ'd or something like that. ZoomFred sounds more raw and natural. If something is recorded a bit rough it sounds like that on ZoomFred while it sounds less rough on TM9. TM9 does not sound rolled off or veiled, but that more "raw" and natural approach of ZoomFred makes it sound more open. Still TM9 is very enjoyable and a true TOTL earbud.

Both of these are in the very top of the TOTL earbuds I've heard. ZoomFred is no 2 after Red Dragon and TM9 will at least end up in my top 5. It's not impossible to end up in my top 3 even.

Compared to Monk+
Monk+ has got a much less wide and deep soundstage, lacks sub bass and detail compared to ZF and TM9. It is great for $5 and the perfect gateway drug to earbuds. But it cannot hold a candle to ZoomFred and TM9. Switching from Monk+ to either of these earbuds is like going from computer speakers to a good home stereo system.

TM7 vs TM9
Much more intimate sound on the TM7 with the vocals closer to the listener than on TM9. TM7 also appears to be a bit more sensitive than TM9. Just like with ZoomFred I need to make volume adjustment when switching to and from TM9.

Some photos:
IMG_8088.JPG

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8099.JPG

Same Oyaide connector on TM9 and ZoomFred:
IMG_8100.JPG

TM9 with its older sibling TM7:
IMG_8090.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #35,789 of 75,273

I'm not saying this is happening with you, but I wonder if you let your brain adjust back to the X6's, you might enjoy them a bit again (at least a bit)? Fyi, I've never heard the X6's.

Here is a small comparison between Cypherus ZoomFred and Blox TM9. I could have gone into more detail if I wrote this at another time but now it will have to do.

Bass:
ZoomFred > TM9
ZoomFred has got deep and well textured bass. Very good sub bass for a pair of earbuds. It is a bit like the bass on Zen 1, but better. Almost a bit too much for someone who's looking for a more linear FQ response. TM9 has got less sub bass and to me it sounds like there's a bit more midbass. You don't get the same sort of bass kick as with ZoomFred, but still bass is quite good for a pair of earbuds.

Mids:
ZoomFred=TM9
On TM9 vocals sound quite nice. The soundstage is wide and deep but vocals are still up front and warm enough to please just about everyone. ZoomFred sounds more "open" than TM9, even after volume adjustment (on my iBasso RP10, I need to lower the volume 5-6 steps when switching from TM9 to ZoomFred, so I suppose ZF is more sensitive than TM9). Mids are slightly closer than on TM9. Vocals sound nice but a bit less warm than on TM9.

Highs:
TM9=ZoomFred
TM9 has got very smooth highs that still are quite extended. They are no where near sibilance or harshness and even rough recordings can sound okay. Those who focus more on clarity and detail might want more "bite" in the treble. But the smoothness should not be mistaken for roll off. ZoomFred's treble is just like TM9's extended but nowhere near a bright sound.

Soundstage:
TM9>ZoomFred
TM9 has got a wide and deep soundstage and only loses to Aiwa HP D9 in my experience. ZoomFred sounds slightly more intimate in comparison but the soundstage is still among the biggest I've heard in a pair of earbuds.

ZoomFred>TM9
ZoomFred has got first class instrument separation. Every instrument has got an almost physical feel and is easily discernable even if the music is busy. TM9 comes close but I feel a bit less weight in the instruments. The big soundstage helps with instrument separation but compared to ZoomFred instruments appear to be slightly further away from the listener.

Overall:
Overall I prefer ZoomFred to TM9. Instruments have got more weight and a more natural timbre on ZoomFred. TM9 is a bit too "polite" even for me. It almost sounds like it's EQ'd or something like that. ZoomFred sounds more raw and natural. If something is recorded a bit rough it sounds like that on ZoomFred while it sounds less rough on TM9. TM9 does not sound rolled off or veiled, but that more "raw" and natural approach of ZoomFred makes it sound more open. Still TM9 is very enjoyable and a true TOTL earbud.

Both of these are in the very top of the TOTL earbuds I've heard. ZoomFred is no 2 after Red Dragon and TM9 will at least end up in my top 5. It's not impossible to end up in my top 3 even.

Compared to Monk+
Monk+ has got a much less wide and deep soundstage, lacks sub bass and detail compared to ZF and TM9. It is great for $5 and the perfect gateway drug to earbuds. But it cannot hold a candle to ZoomFred and TM9. Switching from Monk+ to either of these earbuds is like going from computer speakers to a good home stereo system.

TM7 vs TM9
Much more intimate sound on the TM7 with the vocals closer to the listener than on TM9. TM7 also appears to be a bit more sensitive than TM9. Just like with ZoomFred I need to make volume adjustment when switching to and from TM9.

Some photos:

Very nice comparison - thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #35,790 of 75,273

Bass:
ZoomFred > TM9

Mids:
ZoomFred=TM9
On TM9 vocals sound quite nice. The soundstage is wide and deep but vocals are still up front and warm enough to please just about everyone. ZoomFred sounds more "open" than TM9, even after volume adjustment (on my iBasso RP10, I need to lower the volume 5-6 steps when switching from TM9 to ZoomFred, so I suppose ZF is more sensitive than TM9). Mids are slightly closer than on TM9. Vocals sound nice but a bit less warm than on TM9.

Highs:
TM9=ZoomFred

Soundstage:
TM9>ZoomFred

ZoomFred>TM9

Overall:

Compared to Monk+

TM7 vs TM9

Some photos:

Nice comparison Danneq!
And one thing, TM9's plug is not Oyaide. It is just a regular plug that looks like the Oyaide plug imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back