Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 23, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #35,567 of 75,342
Months ago I promised on the EA group to do a write up comparing the K's 500, 600, and Samsara editions. I neglected to follow through because of a combination of busyness and laziness. But now, just for @mbwilson111 and @HungryPanda, :smiling_imp::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: here is the long overdue comparison of (what used to be) K's Earphones TOTL models:

K's Highend (or at least they were when I bought them and neglected to write this up) Shoot Out!

Under consideration:
⦁ K's 600 Ohm
⦁ K's 500 Ohm
⦁ K's 300 Ohm, Samsara edition

Soundstage: Winner is 600!
⦁ 500: Good
⦁ 600: Excellent
⦁ Samsara: Very good

Imaging: Very tight race, but winner is Samsara!
⦁ Samsara: Excellent - slight edge over 600

Build/aesthetics: Winner is Samsara!
⦁ 500: Nice cable that is comparable to the Samsara's, though the braids are tighter
⦁ 600: Thinner than the 500 and Samsara, appears fragile
⦁ Samsara: Excellent - looks sturdy and expensive​

Notes from specific test tracks: All tracks were of at least CD quality, with two (Radiohead and Soggy Bottom Boys) at 24bit/96kHz. Source: PC (Tidal or JRiver) > McIntosh D1100 > Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold > earbuds

Nuggets by Mura Masa: This is my test track for thumpy bass. The 600 win here for being impactful, with the Samsara a close second. The bass on the 500 is thumpy and clear, but not particularly impactful. Vocals sound best on the Samsara; on the 500 they are a bit thin. Percussion is a tad siblant on the 500.
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkeness by The National: The 600 is the winner here. The trumpets and guitars sound a little sloppy and slow on the 500. Details are noticeable with the 600 that were missing with the 500. The Samsara has a more forward and full sound, which sacrifices some detail but makes for a more emotional presentation.
Paranoid Android by Radiohead: The 600 and Samsara have good imaging and soundstage. Once again, the 600 are more detailed whereas the Samsara is more musical. Vocals sound recessed on the 500 by comparison, and the treble seems overly emphasized.
A Man of Constant Sorrow by The Soggy Bottom Boys: The detailed presentation of the 600 works well with this track; the strings are plucky and life-like. Instrumental details are sacrificed for more emphasis on vocals with the Samsara. The 500 sound muffled by comparison.
Call It What You Want by Taylor Swift: (Don't laugh, I like this song.) I don't like the way her albums are mastered; they are loud and sound sibilant with many buds. I am very sensitive to treble, and this track was too bright with the 500. The presentation of the 600 is closer to neutral, while the Samsara emphasizes the bass slightly.​

Conclusions:

The K's 500 are a visually appealing set of buds that are a nice introduction for those wishing to sample the K's high end lineup without springing for their TOTL models. In my opinion (YRMV), the 600 and Samsara editions outperform the 500s, though in different ways: the 600 are more accurate and detailed, while the Samsaras have a more fun and engaging presentation.

All three models have a respectable sound stage and the accurate placement one should expect at their price point. For portable use, the 500 or Samsara are recommended over the 600. The Samsara is best suited to listening in a noisy environment.

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #35,568 of 75,342
Does anyone make shells larger than the MX500 ones for people with large ears?

Try this
HTB1XKBpHFXXXXbjaXXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #35,569 of 75,342
I personally think those MX500 shells are too big....they aren't uncomfortable. I can wear them for hours as long as a foam is on them. The thing with earbuds though is that they sit further from your ear canal, a smaller diameter shell would be better so they sit a bit better in your canal imo (unless you have well-above average ears). The smaller ones can just be lodged in a bit deeper than the MX500. Problem is that even the smallest one I know (Qian39/Edifier H108/Monk Lite shell) is still not small enough in diameter, but I do get a closer sound with it than the MX500 shell (plus it's better for side sleeping as a bonus).

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #35,571 of 75,342
no way, i (and my large ears) like the MX500 shell better. overall more versatile sound possibilities than the yuin's
I prefer the Ling or other similar size bell shapes (around 14.5-15mm drivers mostly) because they fit like the pk shells but allow better space in the chamber for SQ.

I still think the standard mx500 setup with the plastic covers don't sound all that great, i think it's how the sound is firing through the outer holes only means its very hard to use foams that do not cover them and muddy the sound.

Any bell shape earbud with a front cover that's mostly open or atleast have venting centrally and out to the edge is what I opt for because they usually sound the most well rounded and don't seem to create much ill effects on the driver.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #35,572 of 75,342
Months ago I promised on the EA group to do a write up comparing the K's 500, 600, and Samsara editions. I neglected to follow through because of a combination of busyness and laziness. But now, just for @mbwilson111 and @HungryPanda, :smiling_imp::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: here is the long overdue comparison of (what used to be) K's Earphones TOTL models:

K's Highend (or at least they were when I bought them and neglected to write this up) Shoot Out!

Under consideration:
⦁ K's 600 Ohm
⦁ K's 500 Ohm

⦁ 500: Nice cable that is comparable to the Samsara's, though the braids are tighter

Notes from specific test tracks: All tracks were of at least CD quality, with two (Radiohead and Soggy Bottom Boys) at 24bit/96kHz. Source: PC (Tidal or JRiver) > McIntosh D1100 > Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold > earbuds

Nuggets by Mura Masa: This is my test track for thumpy bass. The 600 win here for being impactful, with the Samsara a close second. The bass on the 500 is thumpy and clear, but not particularly impactful. Vocals sound best on the Samsara; on the 500 they are a bit thin. Percussion is a tad siblant on the 500.
The System Only Dreams in Total Darkeness by The National: The 600 is the winner here. The trumpets and guitars sound a little sloppy and slow on the 500. Details are noticeable with the 600 that were missing with the 500. The Samsara has a more forward and full sound, which sacrifices some detail but makes for a more emotional presentation.
Paranoid Android by Radiohead: The 600 and Samsara have good imaging and soundstage. Once again, the 600 are more detailed whereas the Samsara is more musical. Vocals sound recessed on the 500 by comparison, and the treble seems overly emphasized.
A Man of Constant Sorrow by The Soggy Bottom Boys: The detailed presentation of the 600 works well with this track; the strings are plucky and life-like. Instrumental details are sacrificed for more emphasis on vocals with the Samsara. The 500 sound muffled by comparison.
Call It What You Want by Taylor Swift: (Don't laugh, I like this song.) I don't like the way her albums are mastered; they are loud and sound sibilant with many buds. I am very sensitive to treble, and this track was too bright with the 500. The presentation of the 600 is closer to neutral, while the Samsara emphasizes the bass slightly.​

Conclusions:

The K's 500 are a visually appealing set of buds that are a nice introduction for those wishing to sample the K's high end lineup without springing for their TOTL models. In my opinion (YRMV), the 600 and Samsara editions outperform the 500s, though in different ways: the 600 are more accurate and detailed, while the Samsaras have a more fun and engaging presentation.

All three models have a respectable sound stage and the accurate placement one should expect at their price point. For portable use, the 500 or Samsara are recommended over the 600. The Samsara is best suited to listening in a noisy environment.

well i guess the K's wave is back? :o2smile:

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #35,573 of 75,342
Personally, I'm just jealous that many on this forum can comfortably wear MX500 shells and basically anything below it--because MX500 shells offer the highest potential sound quality in this form factor currently. I really only like PK shells. Also, whatever the shell is in the MX760 graphenes work for me as well. Everything else is a little too big and gets annoying after awhile.
Is Vido using mx500 shells?

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #35,575 of 75,342
well i guess the K's wave is back? :o2smile:
It was always coming, it just took along time to hit land because this Jersey resident has been too busy with work to propel it along. But it WAS always building power and steam and gathering more impressions on it’s journey.

Seriously, I hope this was helpful. It took some time and I don’t know how to write about audio very well, but would be happy to do something simliar for other buds if it would help anyone.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #35,576 of 75,342

Under consideration:
⦁ K's 600 Ohm
⦁ K's 500 Ohm

Conclusions:

Bookmark

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #35,578 of 75,342

Under consideration:
⦁ K's 600 Ohm
⦁ K's 500 Ohm

Conclusions:

The overall sound of K's earbuds are very good, but I still think that K's earbuds have some peak at high mid and vocal that cause some flare to my ears (the K's 300 Samsara improved compare to the K's 500 but it still remain). Same with the Sennheiser MX985.
So they never get to my top favorites.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #35,579 of 75,342
The overall sound of K's earbuds are very good, but I still think that K's earbuds have some peak at high mid and vocal that cause some flare to my ears (the K's 300 Samsara improved compare to the K's 500 but it still remain). Same with the Sennheiser MX985.
So they never get to my top favorites.
Honestly, they are not my all time faves. Cypherus is. K’s is second......or maybe I don’t own enough of another manufacturer’s products to make a fair statement there. They are certainly a brand that I am loyal to. As are VE and Wilsounds.

But Herry at CAX owns my ears. ❤️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back