Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #34,052 of 75,175
Just got these delivered... on a Sunday too!
PArU9VW.jpg

5QhVlCf.jpg

I haven't listened to them, but they are comfortable. MUCH more comfortable than the VE Monks+. Will report back after burn in/kids go to bed so I can do a more thorough comparison with my gear.
Oh good! Would love to hear what you think. I’ve got a pair coming my way. And how’s the build quality? Looks sharp.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #34,053 of 75,175
Oh good! Would love to hear what you think. I’ve got a pair coming my way. And how’s the build quality? Looks sharp.
The build is nice, especially for $18 earbuds. The actual metal shells feel very heavy duty. Hopefully they sound as good as they look!

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #34,055 of 75,175
Aug 26, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #34,058 of 75,175
i think i should make my own earbuds(good stating point due to availability of material)

but where do i source a really good driver???

@slappypete @Slater @ClieOS @CoiL and everyone
(miss hidden expert @mbwilson111 )

help me and guide me

-i would be going for MX500 shell(3D printed carbon fiber)
-MMCX ready
-Air release port like AIWA v99(actually i was drawing a design and i realised that mx500 has one more vent near the cable entry point, i can do slappypete mod with one hole open(ZEN v1 mod by @slappypete ) and attach a plastic tube which goes from this opening near cable entry of iem), it will fix the bass issue with @slappypete VE Monk+ mod and can increase bass response without muddying mids.

@audionab i think earbud business is even crazier than the iem one....

i will fix your RFNF iem.....would you be helping me on this one.

I think you will get more helpful replies from the "DIY earbud" thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #34,059 of 75,175
Initial thoughts on Datura-X (settled on the donut foams, as the included foams enhanced a mid-bass/lower midrange resonance and veil):
Much more extended bass than the Monks (which are sort of bass one note), midrange seems to be more agile with faster decay and less mid-bass resonance, highs are pretty well extended for an earbud, though there is a peak in the 2k-4k range that can range from slightly annoying to downright frustrating depending on the recording. Soundstage seems more intimate than the monks, which I think has to do with how much more of an open back the Monks are. I'm not sure if I'm hearing more space, or if note decay is just more organic on the Monks.

Regardless, so far they are overall a few steps ahead in most areas compared to the Monks. Will report back with a more comprehensive review after I burn them in for at least 20 hours.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #34,061 of 75,175
Initial thoughts on Datura-X (settled on the donut foams, as the included foams enhanced a mid-bass/lower midrange resonance and veil):
Much more extended bass than the Monks (which are sort of bass one note), midrange seems to be more agile with faster decay and less mid-bass resonance, highs are pretty well extended for an earbud, though there is a peak in the 2k-4k range that can range from slightly annoying to downright frustrating depending on the recording. Soundstage seems more intimate than the monks, which I think has to do with how much more of an open back the Monks are. I'm not sure if I'm hearing more space, or if note decay is just more organic on the Monks.

Regardless, so far they are overall a few steps ahead in most areas compared to the Monks. Will report back with a more comprehensive review after I burn them in for at least 20 hours.

give it a few hours, the bass will settle down. OOTB it is a bit bloated on midbass, but it lessen quite a bit afterwards (at least on my unit). to me this sounded similar to Auglamour RX1, intimate soundstage but with bigger perceived room size, warm-ish balanced sound, but with bigger bass and less forward mid than the RX. I'm currently using thin foams, but i think it's going to sound good with thick donuts.. will try it out later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back