Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #33,076 of 75,270
Still in Japan (over 1 month left before we go back to Sweden). I managed to find a pair of second hand Moondrop Liebesleid on Yahoo auction and snagged them. I didn't plan to spend to much on audio stuff in Japan this time but already have spent close to 80 000 yen (Onkyo DP S1 DAP, Cypherus Zoomfred & Moondrop Liebsleid).

Clarity is where the Liebsleid really shines. Quite amazing. The soundstage is less wide and deep than on Zoomfred, and also less 3D (I'd say that Zoomfred is among the best sub $300 when it comes to soundstage). But while Zoomfred's upper mids and highs are slightly rolled off (or what you can call it on a pair of earbuds) they are quite forward on the Liebsleid. While I prefer Zoomfred overall Liebesleid is a definite keeper. The soundstage is smaller than on Rose Mojito but the highs are less piercing, so the Liebsleid can be my go to analytical buds. I've mainly brought metal music to Japan and Liebsleid doesn't work that well with metal. Rock, pop, acoustic might work better with them.

Will have to compare Zoomfred & Liebsleid to my other TOTL buds (CAX Red Dragon, ABnormal Diomnes LV2, Blox TM7, Sennheiser OMX980, Campfred 2 & Shozy BK/Stardust) when I get back home. Still have to say that Zoomfred has got a real headphone feel. The soundstage is well outside your head. The treble is pleasant and detailed despite being slightly subdued. Switching directly from Liebesleid (which have a more earbud type of soundstage) ZF might seem less detailed at first but it is there. Instruments just don't "pop out" like on Liebesleid.
And bass on ZF really is headphone type of bass. Nowhere near bloated but instead quite deep and well textured. Bass is dialled up slightly too much on ZF for me. I would have prefered it a bit more neutral.
IMG_20180717_122837.jpg IMG_20180717_122910.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #33,077 of 75,270
Nice, the new pk32 has a grey filter over the tuning foam yeah. Also you may have noticed the foams are different than original pk32 full foam. More like a cottony texture than pourous sponge-foam.

This level of bass I consider enough to balance the sound, any less is bass light in my books so it's a worthy improvement.

I put the same Hiegi full foams on both the PK32 from the moment it arrives, and the same thin foams on both the MK300

The more playing time the PK32 get, the more linear the bass will be. It won't have less amount, but the punch will be less exaggerated and more natural (in a good way). Also the soundstage will be more coherent in the centerfield, whereas initially it sounded wide, but a bit empty in the centerfield.

I've been burning the grey filter nonstop for a few days, and the more similar the sound. It's still slightly different, but reaally minimal. I think the grey one still have a maturing time to go. Now it's in the phase when the bass seems have lower amount than initially (even compared to the black one). But from my experience with the black one, it also undergo the same phase, and now it retains the big bass it initially had

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #33,078 of 75,270
Would anyone know if Auglamour RX-1 with the standard cable is balanceable, that is it has 4 wires going to the jack? Asking as I would need to put a new balanced jack on it myself. And for example the new, cheaper diy Graphene has only 3 wires from the splitter to the jack
@knudsen No the RX-1 has 3 wire from splitter to jack. But anyway the cable isn't worth modding. It looks quite nice from the outside but the internal wires are quite thin. Also I'm from a country with high humidity and the cable started decaying and became sticky pretty quick. I have since recabled my pair with the silver cable from the EMX500 earbuds and this has been quite a revelation. I don't recollect anyone mentioning recabling the RX-1 but I can vouch that this is must. With the silver cable there been a very noticeable increase in sound quality (a confirmation of the excellent drivers in the RX-1 - which many here have been mentioning). The RX-1 are very easy to open up for recabling (basically the drivers just snap on - with just some light glue). The cable entry point may need to be widened a bit (with a metal bit for example - easily by hand).

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #33,080 of 75,270
Thanks a lot :) Very interesting. I've stopped recabling, with most mx500 I just had too high failure rates for it to be fun. But that sounds like a nice project - do you find the sound tilting even more to bright with the silver cable?

@knudsen No the RX-1 has 3 wire from splitter to jack. But anyway the cable isn't worth modding. It looks quite nice from the outside but the internal wires are quite thin. Also I'm from a country with high humidity and the cable started decaying and became sticky pretty quick. I have since recabled my pair with the silver cable from the EMX500 earbuds and this has been quite a revelation. I don't recollect anyone mentioning recabling the RX-1 but I can vouch that this is must. With the silver cable there been a very noticeable increase in sound quality (a confirmation of the excellent drivers in the RX-1 - which many here have been mentioning). The RX-1 are very easy to open up for recabling (basically the drivers just snap on - with just some light glue). The cable entry point may need to be widened a bit (with a metal bit for example - easily by hand).

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #33,083 of 75,270
Still in Japan (over 1 month left before we go back to Sweden). I managed to find a pair of second hand Moondrop Liebesleid on Yahoo auction and snagged them. I didn't plan to spend to much on audio stuff in Japan this time but already have spent close to 80 000 yen (Onkyo DP S1 DAP, Cypherus Zoomfred & Moondrop Liebsleid).

Clarity is where the Liebsleid really shines. Quite amazing. The soundstage is less wide and deep than on Zoomfred, and also less 3D (I'd say that Zoomfred is among the best sub $300 when it comes to soundstage). But while Zoomfred's upper mids and highs are slightly rolled off (or what you can call it on a pair of earbuds) they are quite forward on the Liebsleid. While I prefer Zoomfred overall Liebesleid is a definite keeper. The soundstage is smaller than on Rose Mojito but the highs are less piercing, so the Liebsleid can be my go to analytical buds. I've mainly brought metal music to Japan and Liebsleid doesn't work that well with metal. Rock, pop, acoustic might work better with them.

Will have to compare Zoomfred & Liebsleid to my other TOTL buds (CAX Red Dragon, ABnormal Diomnes LV2, Blox TM7, Sennheiser OMX980, Campfred 2 & Shozy BK/Stardust) when I get back home. Still have to say that Zoomfred has got a real headphone feel. The soundstage is well outside your head. The treble is pleasant and detailed despite being slightly subdued. Switching directly from Liebesleid (which have a more earbud type of soundstage) ZF might seem less detailed at first but it is there. Instruments just don't "pop out" like on Liebesleid.
And bass on ZF really is headphone type of bass. Nowhere near bloated but instead quite deep and well textured. Bass is dialled up slightly too much on ZF for me. I would have prefered it a bit more neutral.

How is the bass and comfort on the Liebesleid? Is it more comfortable than the ZoomFred?

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #33,084 of 75,270
How is the bass and comfort on the Liebesleid? Is it more comfortable than the ZoomFred?

Zoomfred uses standard MX500 housing, which I think, can hold 15mm drivers, while Liebsleid has got slightly smaller circumference and smaller drivers (something like 13,5 mm or close to that). The housing is pretty heavy since it's made from metal. The Y-splitter is also pretty heavy. If you prefer smaller housing, Liebsleid might be a better choice than ZF. But they are very different in sound. The bass in Liebesleid has got good texture but not much impact. There's practically no sub bass at all. I would EQ lower frequencies a bit to get a little bit more bass presence, but I'll mainly use Liebsleid with music that doesn't rely that much on bass.

Since they are so very different from each other in presentation I see them as good alternatives when you want different flavors from TOTL earbuds.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #33,085 of 75,270

As well as the Samsara set, I also have a pair of Crescent Moonbuds on their way :3 Made by Moon Harvester on FB!
Nice, I hope they arrive quicker than the Uairekko’s that I ordered/paid for on 28/5 that still haven’t arrived! :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #33,087 of 75,270
@chinmie tried the hiegi full foams on the 32. It sounds good but I prefer the stock cotton-like willsound foams slightly more in this case. Willy picked the foams spot on this time, I tried them on other buds and not so great but they are a perfect match for the pk32.

On that note @DAndrew I definitely recommend hiegi full foams as the best quality alternative to VE foams.

In most cases VE donuts>Hiegi Donuts but Hiegi Fulls>VE fulls. Both afford a certain space to the music that's nice in many earbuds thanks to their thickness.

Of course other earbuds do better with regular foams but I always try the VE donuts, Hiegi fulls and Aliexpress thins on all new earbuds because they've had the best results for me in the past.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #33,089 of 75,270
So, these days I've replaced worn out cheap Ali donuts with the Monk+ "strong" donuts... suddenly my TO400s has more bass than before, lol
Same as with my Penon BS1, the VE donuts are being used more and more for me now. They are the most headphone-like sound presentation for buds with fully vented front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back