Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #33,091 of 75,149
Good to know because I should very likely be exchanging the Shozy XB for a BS1...
I meant the foams make most fully vented buds sound more full and with better space in depth, including the bs1 :)

If you do get the BS1 please consider all opinions and beware of the fit/cable. I still like them for their warm bass and brighter-super clean mids/treble. But I cannot wear them for over 30 minutes at a time because the cable weight and fit cause fatigue.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #33,092 of 75,149
I meant the foams make most fully vented buds sound more full and with better space in depth, including the bs1 :)

If you do get the BS1 please consider all opinions and beware of the fit/cable. I still like them for their warm bass and brighter-super clean mids/treble. But I cannot wear them for over 30 minutes at a time because the cable weight and fit cause fatigue.

The BS1 seems to be the obvious choice from the seller as the other earbuds don't really excite me... :L3000:

I'll take note of the weight but my ears a big so the shell size doesn't really matter to me...

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #33,093 of 75,149
The BS1 seems to be the obvious choice from the seller as the other earbuds don't really excite me... :L3000:

I'll take note of the weight but my ears a big so the shell size doesn't really matter to me...
Well it's perfect for big ears with ve donuts :D

My ears are average size but I needed to shave the shell down a bit. BS1 should come with an earhook system like the creative aurvana air then the cable would be no issue :D

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #33,094 of 75,149
Well it's perfect for big ears with ve donuts :D

My ears are average size but I needed to shave the shell down a bit. BS1 should come with an earhook system like the creative aurvana air then the cable would be no issue :D

Fit and weight issues aside, how would you rate the BS1 in terms of sound? Will you consider them TOTL?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #33,095 of 75,149
Fit and weight issues aside, how would you rate the BS1 in terms of sound? Will you consider them TOTL?
It's just quite unique. You stick the donuts on it and put them on and you are somewhat isolated like a semi closed back with two intimate 'bubbles' of soundstage on each ear. So while the staging isn't huge, imaging is dead precise within that space and the separation is really clean. It's definitely worth owning for it's sound sig because it's just different than all my other earbuds except maybe my K's Ling has a similar effect but definitely not quite the same.

It's TOTL or best qualities for me are

- Imaging
- smooth sound sig (bright but not peaky)
- Detail (up there around Rose Masya and Shozy BK level) although buds like willsound collection are so good detail wise it's not much of a difference.

For stuff like bass extension and soundstage size it's not TOTL but it's not terrible either. Just average in those regards I'd say.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #33,096 of 75,149
It's a bit like the pk32 in bass, separation too. More precise imaging but slightly less width. Brighter from mids to treble, more extended treble. If that helps.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #33,097 of 75,149
Zoomfred uses standard MX500 housing, which I think, can hold 15mm drivers, while Liebsleid has got slightly smaller circumference and smaller drivers (something like 13,5 mm or close to that). The housing is pretty heavy since it's made from metal. The Y-splitter is also pretty heavy. If you prefer smaller housing, Liebsleid might be a better choice than ZF. But they are very different in sound. The bass in Liebesleid has got good texture but not much impact. There's practically no sub bass at all. I would EQ lower frequencies a bit to get a little bit more bass presence, but I'll mainly use Liebsleid with music that doesn't rely that much on bass.

Since they are so very different from each other in presentation I see them as good alternatives when you want different flavors from TOTL earbuds.

Thank you for the info, now I know for sure the ZoomFred will be my next purchase :)

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #33,098 of 75,149
@chinmie tried the hiegi full foams on the 32. It sounds good but I prefer the stock cotton-like willsound foams slightly more in this case. Willy picked the foams spot on this time, I tried them on other buds and not so great but they are a perfect match for the pk32.

On that note @DAndrew I definitely recommend hiegi full foams as the best quality alternative to VE foams.

In most cases VE donuts>Hiegi Donuts but Hiegi Fulls>VE fulls. Both afford a certain space to the music that's nice in many earbuds thanks to their thickness.

Of course other earbuds do better with regular foams but I always try the VE donuts, Hiegi fulls and Aliexpress thins on all new earbuds because they've had the best results for me in the past.

Thanks, i will buy some hiegis as well to test them, meanwhile I will try to diy some foams from different materials and see what results I get

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #33,099 of 75,149
Thanks, i will buy some hiegis as well to test them, meanwhile I will try to diy some foams from different materials and see what results I get
Post pics if you do make them, interesting to see what other materials can be used!

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #33,101 of 75,149
It's a bit like the pk32 in bass, separation too. More precise imaging but slightly less width. Brighter from mids to treble, more extended treble. If that helps.

Sounds good! Not like I have much choice though but the BS1 is probably the best choice for the exchange... :L3000:

I hope I'll like it, as it'll be the most expensive earbuds I own if I go that route... :beerchug:

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #33,102 of 75,149
Sounds good! Not like I have much choice though but the BS1 is probably the best choice for the exchange... :L3000:

I hope I'll like it, as it'll be the most expensive earbuds I own if I go that route... :beerchug:

Hope so too, the wooden box and other accessories are really premium also, what is your source player for earbuds? Or do you rotate?

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #33,103 of 75,149
Hope so too, the wooden box and other accessories are really premium also, what is your source player for earbuds? Or do you rotate?

I only listen with a Chord Mojo fed through optical from MacBook Pro. I hardly listen to anything anymore when I'm out and about. So usage will be pretty desk bound...

If you meant main earbuds... then it'll be the PK32 as it's the one that's burning in...

The most expensive earbuds I have now is the Asura 2.0s but it's been kept in the case since I had the Willsounds... :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #33,104 of 75,149
I only listen with a Chord Mojo fed through optical from MacBook Pro. I hardly listen to anything anymore when I'm out and about. So usage will be pretty desk bound...

If you meant main earbuds... then it'll be the PK32 as it's the one that's burning in...

The most expensive earbuds I have now is the Asura 2.0s but it's been kept in the case since I had the Willsounds... :frowning2:
Nice! I found them to sound excellent out of my Hiby R6, maybe the 10 ohm OI was adding a low end tilt or just the slight emphasis on sub bass that dap was producing but it was the best synergy of all my buds. Hopefully your mojo will be similar.

Whereas most of my other buds perform best with my V20 which is kinda brighter and tighter bass, even if I have to add sub bass by EQ the V20 never lets me down :)

I'm really enjoying the PK32 for the SQ and comfort if I'm on the go. But actually sitting down with the cable 50% on a desk I can appreciate the BS1's nuances without the ill effects of the weight and in that situation I'd grab the BS1 more often for it's sweet sweet tonality. It's kinda refreshing for a bright earbud to not sound sibilant or harsh and shows excellent tuning from Penon.

Yes you have to live with a little 'glare' in the upper mids but it's a nice change from the usual slightly low mid or neutral tuned willsounds. Female vocals and strings just pop so much.

You'll understand once you listen :D

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #33,105 of 75,149
I'm really enjoying the PK32 for the SQ and comfort if I'm on the go. But actually sitting down with the cable 50% on a desk I can appreciate the BS1's nuances without the ill effects of the weight and in that situation I'd grab the BS1 more often for it's sweet sweet tonality. It's kinda refreshing for a bright earbud to not sound sibilant or harsh and shows excellent tuning from Penon.
How would you compare Masya and bs1 official? Do they have the same sound signature? Do they have similar sound representation? What would you choose if you are to stay with only one earbuds between them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back