Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #27,377 of 75,272
@SweetEars as far as I can tell using the search feature only one person has compared emx500 and emxs500 and said the emxs had a better balance of the midrange and prefered it overall.

That must be the post I was thinking about. I do not have any of the three buds that Sweetears owns but I do have the RY04 that no one seems to talk about.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #27,378 of 75,272
can someone state the real differences between the EMX500 and EMx-s 500 vs R4YS?

you already have two out of the three, right? if you are not a collector, i suggest you don't buy similar earbuds/ slight upgrades. find something else that is completely different, or buy higher level upgrades. take a chance once in a while

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #27,381 of 75,272
This is getting way off topic, :smirk: but I would say "no." I'm locked into an iPhone for work so never looked seriously at phones as audio sources, but I do like having DAC/amps that will work with the phone I have now, my iPad and PC, and future phones. Currently all my DAC/amps are hardwired, so I am locked into using a Camera Kit Adapter from Apple, which sucks big time. I have this little guy on pre-order: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Prod...spx?CatId=headphoneamplifiers&ProductId=MHA50 which will be my first Bluetooth DAC/amp. It is on the pricey side, but I figure that I'd rather spend the money on that device which can be used with everything rather than one phone which will be out of date in a few years.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, just personal preference based on intended use.

Edited to say: The example I gave is outside of the pricepoint you mentioned. I also have one of these guys on "order" from Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...e-amplifier-bluetooth-headphones/x/10253451#/
It was being demoed at CanJam with some Fostex planars, and sounded really good. It may be too much for low impedence buds though, we shall see.

Both the MHA50 and the Get look pretty nice (although you may be right about the Get and low impedence buds).

I have been very impressed with the $70 Fiio BTR1, and I have a really good feeling about the upcoming $80 Radsone Earstudio.

As more and more of these bluetooth receivers come out (with increasing SQ and value), I just can't see how they won't more and more popular.

For me yes, the idea of carrying two devices is more awkward than the wire itself imo, and heavier. Now when the time comes that BT technology of tomorrow (and I do mean the very near future) sounds that good but also fit into the earbud/headphone discretely, then I’ll move to BT. lol

Infact I know that the most recent BT and wireless standards are excellent but it’s the DAC/AMP part that’s lagging behind in terms of shrinking to miniature sizes.

When airpods becomes audiophile grade in SQ then I’ll jump on the wireless bandwagon :)

But waiting for suitable earpods would then mean being limited to them. I want to be able to use all of my wired buds/headphones, but not have them plugged directly into my phone (even though I like the SQ out of my phone, the cable just gets in the way for me). So these bluetooth receivers are working great for me.

Btw, they are pretty small. Here is the BTR1:

For me,no.
I rather have a good sounding bluetooth /usb dac so i can use whatever phone/tablet/pc i have

Good point. It's great being able to use the same bluetooth receiver with different gizmos, and therefore getting the same SQ from all of them.

Well, my four year old Nexus 5 phone only has the Bluetooth SBC codec, and no MicroSD slot - so that's why I want a new phone. :relaxed:
My DAPs work well with all of my earbuds / earphones, and it would be nice to have a better phone that does, as well.

Yup, you need a new phone DBalcock9! :wink:

Fwiw, I really like the S7 edge (exynos). Great SQ (at least for my silver ears), waterproof, and a great camera:
img_4202_std.jpg

Attachments

• 20180121_094420_resized.jpg
    20180121_094420_resized.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #27,384 of 75,272
@waynes world Me and you have had this conversation before :)

You prefer no direct connection with wires at the expensive of two devices, I prefer a single device at the expense of a wired connection.

I’ll only move to wireless when an all in one design and completely wireless solution becomes available, oh and when said solution sounds as good or better than wired!

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #27,385 of 75,272
How do you find the RY04?
Whoops! I should've made myself clearer. I meant to say what do you think of the sound,

I knew what you meant. I had to get them out and listen. I knew if I mentioned them I would have to do that:) The RY04 were one of the first buds that I got ... along with a few others at the same time. I chose them because they were only 3 or 4 dollars and I liked the look of them, especially the snakeskin looking cable.I had only listened to them once and the put them away because I had so many other things to listen to.

The width of the shells are bigger than I thought they would be so I don't know if I am getting a seal. Once i have them in place they are not painful and they seem to stay in ok. Listening to them now I would say they are brighter than I usually choose but the highs are not harsh or piercing. They are quite airy and spacious... so definitely a good soundstage. Vocalists (male and female) that I know well are sounding great...as are guitars and other real instruments .I would not call these bass heavy in any way but they do have enough weight for me. Drums sound fine. I don't listen to EDM but if I did I probably would not use these for that. I might try some classical. Should be good for that. I just usually prefer classical with floor standing speakers.

They would be worth the £3 that I paid just for the cable:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back