Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #27,361 of 75,272
Sort-of on-topic question - Is your LG V20 the H990DS model? Have you tried rooting, and installing alternate ROMs, and audio processing apps - like Viper4Android?
I know that the LG V20 audio amplifier has several modes of operation, depending on the impedance of the earbuds/earphones that are connected.
Have you noticed any significant differences in performance, when you connect your high impedance earbuds?

I've been seriously considering replacing my old Google Nexus 5 phone, with the carrier unlocked US version (model US996), rooting and installing LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2 (Nougat)), Xposed Framework, along with Viper4Android (or other, newer audio processing S/W).

It’s the LS997 sprint version, practically non rootable it seems. So sadly no V4A for me!

I don’t have any earbuds over 32ohms because I was using the 6s and didn’t want to underpower my buds. Maybe I’ll buy some higher impendance buds for the meizu if it can handle em.

In its stock form the non B&O tuned V20 is more ‘pure’ sabre dac without any colouration of sound. It’s clean and cold in low impendance but lacking some dynamics, in high impendance it has the dynamics and is more neutral-slightly warm (natural) so it’s better all round.

But honestly I find it too analytical-digital and I prefer detailed but analog sound with a fuller quality.

Also the stage presentation is slightly narrow and the midrange can be forward. I think the narrowness comes from some added crossfeed filter (or so I’ve heard).

There’s also a slight harshness in the lower treble as mentioned to me by @vladstef so it can come off a tad rough of trebley music.

There’s zero mid bass bloat on the stock version, actually it’s too subdued for my preference but most like it that way especially for bass earbuds.

V4A may be a game changer im not sure, the ‘audiophile smartphone’ thread guys would know though!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #27,362 of 75,272
Isn't the LG V30 supposed to be the audio-cat's meow?

Yes, but it's still quite expensive, and there isn't a release of LineageOS for the V30, yet... :wink:
I guess I could consider the LG G6 (model US997), since it's only about $100 more than the V20, and there is a release of LineageOS for it.

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #27,363 of 75,272
Isn't the LG V30 supposed to be the audio-cat's meow?

If you can root it, install v4a to tune it to your liking and use the root fix to force high impendance mode always on then it may be an excellent source for a mobile, because it has some seriously impressive aspects and a really detailed neutral and pure sound.

Just my version is locked and such that I decided to look at a different device altogether!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #27,364 of 75,272
Yes, but it's still quite expensive, and there isn't a release of LineageOS for the V30, yet... :wink:
I guess I could consider the LG G6 (model US997), since it's only about $100 more than the V20, and there is a release of LineageOS for it.

Right.

Not related, but here's an interesting hypothetical.... if you found a $200 bluetooth dac/amp that could make "whatever" phone sound fantastic, would you still be looking for a phone to satisfy your audiophile requirements? I only ask because I am starting to feel that the SQ of a phone (or DAP for that matter) might become irrelevant due to high quality sounding, yet relatively inexpensive, bluetooth receivers.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #27,365 of 75,272
Right.

Not related, but here's an interesting hypothetical.... if you found a $200 bluetooth dac/amp that could make "whatever" phone sound fantastic, would you still be looking for a phone to satisfy your audiophile requirements? I only ask because I am starting to feel that the SQ of a phone (or DAP for that matter) might become irrelevant due to high quality sounding, yet relatively inexpensive, bluetooth receivers.
This is getting way off topic, :smirk: but I would say "no." I'm locked into an iPhone for work so never looked seriously at phones as audio sources, but I do like having DAC/amps that will work with the phone I have now, my iPad and PC, and future phones. Currently all my DAC/amps are hardwired, so I am locked into using a Camera Kit Adapter from Apple, which sucks big time. I have this little guy on pre-order: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Prod...spx?CatId=headphoneamplifiers&ProductId=MHA50 which will be my first Bluetooth DAC/amp. It is on the pricey side, but I figure that I'd rather spend the money on that device which can be used with everything rather than one phone which will be out of date in a few years.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, just personal preference based on intended use.

Edited to say: The example I gave is outside of the pricepoint you mentioned. I also have one of these guys on "order" from Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...e-amplifier-bluetooth-headphones/x/10253451#/
It was being demoed at CanJam with some Fostex planars, and sounded really good. It may be too much for low impedence buds though, we shall see.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #27,366 of 75,272
Right.

For me yes, the idea of carrying two devices is more awkward than the wire itself imo, and heavier. Now when the time comes that BT technology of tomorrow (and I do mean the very near future) sounds that good but also fit into the earbud/headphone discretely, then I’ll move to BT. lol

Infact I know that the most recent BT and wireless standards are excellent but it’s the DAC/AMP part that’s lagging behind in terms of shrinking to miniature sizes.

When airpods becomes audiophile grade in SQ then I’ll jump on the wireless bandwagon :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #27,367 of 75,272
Right.

For me,no.
I rather have a good sounding bluetooth /usb dac so i can use whatever phone/tablet/pc i have

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #27,368 of 75,272
Right.

Well, my four year old Nexus 5 phone only has the Bluetooth SBC codec, and no MicroSD slot - so that's why I want a new phone. :relaxed:
My DAPs work well with all of my earbuds / earphones, and it would be nice to have a better phone that does, as well.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #27,373 of 75,272
hmmm for $25 it’s going to be difficult to find an upgrade with the same mild U shape signature. The EMX500 are very very good for $10 and imo the $20-25 graphene’s are a sidegrade with a different signature.

I usually recommend the Rose Masya as a true upgrade because of its excellent extension of bass and treble but also having a much better midrange (its balanced sound) but feels like the U shape of emx500 because of how it extends and how clean clear and unbloated the midrange is.

But that’s neither suitable for sports or in your price range.

You could check out the Toneking TP16, if it’s signature is like the Toneking Tomahawk it’s a worthy choice but honestly I’d call it a sidegrade too most likely...

It’s really a challenge to find a better earbud under $25 with the same signature, you’ll probably have to spend 30-40 for an upgrade.

Anything wrong with the emx500 for sports? are you looking for a better fit? more durability?
i see to prefer the EMX 500 sound signature..and also the R4YS.. so am i person that prefers a U -shape signature? In that case i will like something the same as EMX-500 in higher priced range that has a large soundstage especially depth . What will u recommend me then??

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #27,374 of 75,272
i see to prefer the EMX 500 sound signature..and also the R4YS.. so am i person that prefers a U -shape signature? In that case i will like something the same as EMX-500 in higher priced range that has a large soundstage especially depth . What will u recommend me then??
Rose Masya is perfect for you as you seem to enjoy extension of sub bass and treble and while the Masya is a balanced sound it gives all the benefits of a U shape signature like clearly defined and detailed bass and treble due to its dual driver setup.

You’re music choice suits the Rose Masya the most, if you’re willing to spend $90 on it and accept the slight chance that it’s history of quality control is a bit shakey then go for it.

I mean the chances are you’ll get a perfectly working Masya, I seemed to be unlucky with mine. But yeah as far as the closet sounding earbud with an upgrade in every way is the Rose Masya.

Penon BS1 is another option which is more neutral than the Masya/Emx500 (they are slightly warm sounding) but have a very good all round ability and deep soundstage aswell.

While I think the BS1 is a slightly more accomplished earbud and also less QC issues, I do feel the Masya is slightly more suitable to your preferences as it’s a ‘lighter’ sound which works well with instrumental music (most of the Rahman stuff you showed us is heavy on the instrumentals).

But if you choose either of those earbuds you’ll be very impressed with the deep soundstage and detail.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #27,375 of 75,272
can someone state the real differences between the EMX500 and EMx-s 500 vs R4YS?

I know I have seen this discussed more than once. Searching within the thread now works very well. It has always worked but it is easier now. Have you noticed the little "search this thread" below the thread title banner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back