Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #24,631 of 75,149
It is close to midnight over here and I'm blasting Motorhead's take on Cat Scratch Fever through my Vido while trying to make a decision on my 1111 move.

I like Vidos but only after extensive sound tweaking in order to tame that ridiculous amount of not so tight bass and clear up things in the middle and top end. They're banging quite all right now, although they will never ever completely lose that bouncy bass kick. These buds want to party all the time.

I think I'll go with VE Monk Plus for more neutral sound and Headroom MS16 for something completely different (according to what I read about them). I'll leave Graphene or pk2 for another round because joy is to travel not to arrive. :ksc75smile:

On a side note - We had our little hi-fi show last weekend and I had a chance to try full size wallet killers such as Senn HD800s, HD650, HD600, Focal Elear and Denon AH-D7200 (took some photos here) and honestly I didn't really like any of them. I have no Idea what went wrong, they probably weren't broken in properly. Blessed are the people who make nice earbuds that cost peanuts.

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #24,635 of 75,149
one thing is for sure, the emx 500 and graphene both outdo usual earbuds that are offered by established brands like Phillips sony at the same price

Amen to that, and let it long continue

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #24,636 of 75,149
- Drill bass port of 1.5mm in the bottom in the gap between the grille and the stem of the housing (if was doing it again I'd drill 3 x .5mm or whatever the smallest drill bit size is to allow for the vent's always open for different ear shapes to avoid blocking the vent, but one did work for my ear luckily).

- Apply a tiny bit of paper filter over the bass port to fine tune the bass 'boom' and keep the sound bouncing through the housing like intended.

- Use some kid of epoxy or filler to semi block the back vent with tiny dabs on each side. This is a fix to an issue caused when drilling the bass port which sacrifices the punchy tight mid bass and low mids in return for a emphasised sub bass deep and deeper tonality. Semi blocking this back vents returns some of the punchiness and brings forward the mids high's. I thought this would cause a loss of airiness which this earbud doesn't have in abundance anyway, but it didn't seem to have any negative effect if you don't narrow the vent the sound remains the same in width and air. You apply the dabs left and right of the centre, dividing the 1 vent into 3 smaller vents.

If you're actually attempting this yourself I'll take pictures to demonstrate. I need to buy an epoxy or filler because currently I just tested it with blu tack which would be an ok temporary solution.

I did a mod with the Ve monks , not sure if its the same, but i used scotch tape on the outside without drilling or removing anything to cover...the result is that the sound stage improved with better layering and tamed mids.

from another TOPIC threAD AT HEADFI . I JUST PASTED SCOTCH TAPE ON THE OUTSIDE INSTEAD OF USING BLU TACK FROM THE INSIDE. BOTH SIDES OF THE GREEN U SEE IN THIS PIC

9236330.jpg

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #24,637 of 75,149
I love lurking on all the earbud enthusiasm in this thread :) I'm not so active here, but I always try to show people irl why earbuds are better.

So i'm trying to limit myself one earbud for 11/11. I took a gamble on the clear mx760s soon after they came out and posted here long ago, so i've been enjoying those so much with a cayin n3 that pairs with it perfectly. I also love k's 300 pro for home use, they are power hungry but I can see why some people on EA think these were used to make Blurs. If you dont have some high impedance buds to try, don't sleep on k's 300 pro.

I also have a pk2/vido, so I guess the one earbud archetype im missing is a bassy mx500? I'm guessing the emxs-500 is too new to know anything about? I think i'll have to try this one blindly.

But look what Jim just listed on his store: clear graphenes with the different cables, like the emx500 cable! and one with a MIC! I might have to get the one with a mic later.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...234.html?spm=2114.12010611.0.0.4069512bbihPQF

God damn it now I'll have to add another 2 to the cart. The new graphene looks to have a way better build, the frequency response range is diff too

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #24,639 of 75,149
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #24,640 of 75,149
I did a mod with the Ve monks , not sure if its the same, but i used scotch tape on the outside without drilling or removing anything to cover...the result is that the sound stage improved with better layering and tamed mids.

from another TOPIC threAD AT HEADFI . I JUST PASTED SCOTCH TAPE ON THE OUTSIDE INSTEAD OF USING BLU TACK FROM THE INSIDE. BOTH SIDES OF THE GREEN U SEE IN THIS PIC

9236330.jpg

That looks like the glorious original Monk. You didn't mess with that, did you?

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #24,641 of 75,149

9236330.jpg

Nice the original monks. I've heard it works better with that version than the new. I was kind of forced to drill a hole because the pk shell is onl vented at the back and I needed a bottom port like you see on some other earbuds to help sub bass. Usually the back ports affect more of the airiness vs punchiness of the sound as the driver is directly opposite. The bottom port have a slighty more subtle effect in bass quantity.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #24,644 of 75,149
frequency rang is different but the cables are plastic? how will this affect the sound quality? the emx500 have a braided cable

I think the actual cable material will only affect sq, not how its put together.
It looks similar to the panda pk2s cable that I have and its one of my favourite cable, its soft and smooth, definitely doesn't look as cool as the braided one but it handles much better.

edit: there's also a braided cable option on that new graphene, but I don't like how it looks like its twisting and curling

anyone ordered the new graphene ? sounds enticing....

it's in my cart for tonight!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #24,645 of 75,149
I think the actual cable material will only affect sq, not how its put together.
It looks similar to the panda pk2s cable that I have and its one of my favourite cable, its soft and smooth, definitely doesn't look as cool as the braided one but it handles much better.

edit: there's also a braided cable option on that new graphene, but I don't like how it looks like its twisting and curling

it's in my cart for tonight!

the transparent one , isnt it also curling inside ? it looks like there is braided cable inside a transparent plastic housing. but is the cable copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back