Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 10, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #24,601 of 75,375
I have the Graphene and I sure love them.

Anyway, since I have the earbud disease, I wonder if is it worth to buy on 11.11 the following:

- Moondrop Nameless
- Tomahawk Mr.Z
- Qian 69

If you mainly listen to metal Tomahawk is a solid choice. However, I find to to not work as well with other genres. There a sort of colder metallic tinge in the upper mids/treble and somehow that works very well with metal. The source might also play a part.

Haven't heard Qian69 and didn't care much for Qian39.

Moondrop Nameless would be my recommendation out of these three. At least if you listen to other genres than metal.

Do CAX Black and Black Dragon come with a chin slider?
With Diomnes Lv2, the chin slider allows me to lock cables just under my chin, and this minimizes the risk that buds would fall off my ears when I move my head or yawn... Don't know about these two CAX..

By the way, congratulations on the baby :beerchug:

Thank's mate!

Like rkw replied, you can probably get chin sliders if you ask Herry when you order it. My pair of CAX Black was already made when I bought it. And the Red Dragon were second hand. But I do not find the lack of chin slider to be such a big problem. It would probably not help much with that cable. The Diomnes Lv2 cable is super flexible in comparison! :yum:

11th hour request for 11/11 sales:

I'm seeing the potential of earbuds incredibly late here, I've skimmed through approx the previous 20 pages of this thread and some of the reviews on the 'Everyday Listening' blog. What can you recommend that have the best imaging and reasonably neutral? I want something for a variety of sources, variety of music genres and some PC gaming.

I would rather spend <$50 if there are good enough possibilities, but I'm not opposed to going up to something like the Shozy BK if I feel like anything else would be too much of a compromise. Based on the blog reviews I started eyeing up OurArt Ti7 and the MusicMaker Tomahawk, although some of you think newer upgrades on the Tomahawk might be better?

Thanks!

As I wrote above, if you mainly listen to metal, Tomahawk is a solid recommendation. Otherwise the slightly colder upper mids/treble might annoy you with other music genres. Haven't heard OutArt Ti7.
YinCrow RW-777 is another option at around $40. It has got a slightly leaner sound than most modern earbuds, but a deep and wide soundstage and a neutral sound that I really like.

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #24,602 of 75,375
Emx500 share the same big shell as monk/vido, the mx500 shell.

Graphene shell is the same size but slightly different shape so possibly more comfortable for some (I’ve heard it’s more comfortable anyway).

Pk shells are by far the more comfortable and erogonomic. They just fit perfectly for most people, an earbud designed right.

PK shells can be found (under 20) on the DIY PK2, PK2S, EPK2 etc during the 11.11 sale it will be well within your budget.

Auglamour RX1 has an even smaller shell, but less conforming shape to the ear. It’s comfortable too, but cannot match the PK.

I suggest picking up the DIY PK2 or new PK2S panda and use monk thin foams on it (either 1 thin alone, or 1 thin and 1 thin cut donut for less treble/more bass).

I find in Aliexpress a model of **** DIY EMX500 that has the same Shell as DIY PK2, but increase the price to 12.50 euros (11-11)
I find DIY MX760 Graphene for 16.29 euros...from AK Store (No NICEHCK)
and I find NICEHCK DIY PK2 for 13.80 euros

What is the best purchase? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #24,603 of 75,375
I find in Aliexpress a model of **** DIY EMX500 that has the same Shell as DIY PK2, but increase the price to 12.50 euros (11-11)
I find DIY MX760 Graphene for 16.29 euros...from AK Store (No NICEHCK)
and I find NICEHCK DIY PK2 for 13.80 euros

What is the best purchase? Thanks.
Out of curiosity I'm buying the emx500 in pk2 shell, how can they fit 15mm driver in smaller shell? xD

I think it's different driver so I'll try it.

As for your choice, emx500 for edm (atleast for mx500 shell version) , diy pk2 for rock/acoustic and graphene for all round use. Graphene gets the most praise out of the 3 so maybe choose that one.

I still have not received my graphene to give you my own opinion but everybody and their mothers are recommending them around here :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #24,604 of 75,375
Out of curiosity I'm buying the emx500 in pk2 shell, how can they fit 15mm driver in smaller shell? xD

As for your choice, emx500 for edm (atleast for mx500 shell version) , diy pk2 for rock/acoustic and graphene for all round use. Graphene gets the most praise out of the 3 so maybe choose that one.

I still have not received my graphene to give you my own opinion but everybody and their mothers are recommending them around here :)
My mother recommends going to bed early as an hour's sleep before midnight is worth two after.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #24,605 of 75,375
Anyone here tried this? Any good?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32819960514.html#autostay

I think they might be diff, at least based on the 1-2 feedback on ali, they have less bass and are 32ohm, what bout the emxs-500

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #24,606 of 75,375
It's 11/11 folks.Game on!

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #24,607 of 75,375
11th hour request for 11/11 sales...
...What can you recommend that have the best imaging and are reasonably neutral? I want something for a variety of sources, variety of music genres and some PC gaming...
...YinCrow RW-777 is another option at around $40. It has got a slightly leaner sound than most modern earbuds, but a deep and wide soundstage and a neutral sound that I really like.

Thanks Danneq. I will investigate further. Anyone else have any suggestions for neutral + good imaging?

Also, does anyone know if we can expect deals from Penon Audio? I see Shenzhen Audio have listed some products that will be discounted, but no earbuds and nothing there that I need.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #24,608 of 75,375
My photos of Ryo Chandra Lesmana's custom painted DIY Earbuds:

P1090834.jpg

P1090824.jpg

P1090828.jpg

P1090830.jpg

P1090832.jpg

P1090829.jpg

P1090827.jpg

--

Wow. Do they sound as beautiful as they look?

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #24,610 of 75,375
Nov 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #24,611 of 75,375
Anyone who has never heard a shozy earbud but wants to get a taste of the shozy sound signature (minus deep bass and soundstage) should absolutely try out the DIY PK2 for $15 (cable 2,3).

Then if you like that flavour you can invest in a cygnus or stardust with confidence!

Oh btw update on cygnus and stardust, if you’re running them out of a mobile source it’s not worth upgrading to stardust over cygnus. The difference in resolution isn’t truly appreciated without a quality DAP or maybe one of the most high end audio mobiles.

Cygnus has a slight mid bass bump over the stardust, but with slightly less sub bass. Mids are thicker and slightly warmer on the stardust, more neutral on the cygnus. The treble is more emphasised on the cygnus but also more rolled off so it’s less revealing of harsh treble and doesn’t become sibilant or peaky. Honestly on mobile sources cygnus has a better sound of the treble region.

But I’ve managed to balance that out by switching from thin monk foam (on both cygnus and stardust) to a new foam for the stardust. Basically just a thin monk donut foam i had cut out from before. Now the treble is pretty equal in emphasis, the mids are slightly less thick and sound more natural and clearer to my ears.

Now both earbuds sound almost identical with the exception of a higher resolution in the stardust. I need to hear this thing out of a quality source, it’s incredible potential is being bottlenecked by my iphone.

Since I got the cygnus and stardust in the FS section for €33 and €120 respectively obviously I can say the cygnus is better value for money but at retail of €68 and €126 during the aliexpress sale it’s a question of your source than what’s better. If you’re planning on using it on the go with a phone like the iphone 6s save your money and get the cygnus. If you plan on feeding the stardust what it needs to shine, go for it!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #24,612 of 75,375
Also, does anyone know if we can expect deals from Penon Audio? I see Shenzhen Audio have listed some products that will be discounted, but no earbuds and nothing there that I need.

I was hoping Penon might have had more buds in the sale, but they only have a few on sale for 11.11.

I was going through what I might want and ended up with over $300 in the basket. Think I might be better spending that on a dac/amp or a TOTL bud rather than a handful of buds when I have three good ones already :)

Willpower help me now!

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #24,613 of 75,375
I was hoping Penon might have had more buds in the sale, but they only have a few on sale for 11.11.

I was going through what I might want and ended up with over $300 in the basket. Think I might be better spending that on a dac/amp or a TOTL bud rather than a handful of buds when I have three good ones already :)

Willpower help me now!
When you only have two ears but $300 worth of budget earbuds... The struggle is real.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #24,615 of 75,375
OMG NiceHCK just released new MMCX earbuds, NiceHCK EBX. Moreover, its price is above Rose MASYA...

NiceHCK EBX.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back