Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #24,616 of 75,118
Anyone who has never heard a shozy earbud but wants to get a taste of the shozy sound signature (minus deep bass and soundstage) should absolutely try out the DIY PK2 for $15 (cable 2,3).

Then if you like that flavour you can invest in a cygnus or stardust with confidence!

Oh btw update on cygnus and stardust, if you’re running them out of a mobile source it’s not worth upgrading to stardust over cygnus. The difference in resolution isn’t truly appreciated without a quality DAP or maybe one of the most high end audio mobiles.

Cygnus has a slight mid bass bump over the stardust, but with slightly less sub bass. Mids are thicker and slightly warmer on the stardust, more neutral on the cygnus. The treble is more emphasised on the cygnus but also more rolled off so it’s less revealing of harsh treble and doesn’t become sibilant or peaky. Honestly on mobile sources cygnus has a better sound of the treble region.

But I’ve managed to balance that out by switching from thin monk foam (on both cygnus and stardust) to a new foam for the stardust. Basically just a thin monk donut foam i had cut out from before. Now the treble is pretty equal in emphasis, the mids are slightly less thick and sound more natural and clearer to my ears.

Now both earbuds sound almost identical with the exception of a higher resolution in the stardust. I need to hear this thing out of a quality source, it’s incredible potential is being bottlenecked by my iphone.

Since I got the cygnus and stardust in the FS section for €33 and €120 respectively obviously I can say the cygnus is better value for money but at retail of €68 and €126 during the aliexpress sale it’s a question of your source than what’s better. If you’re planning on using it on the go with a phone like the iphone 6s save your money and get the cygnus. If you plan on feeding the stardust what it needs to shine, go for it!
Are you talking about the NiceHCK pk2 with the white cable?

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #24,617 of 75,118
Are you talking about the NiceHCK pk2 with the white cable?
My version is the brown/gold cable but I think the silver/white sounds the same.

Cable 1, the black rubberised one is a two part connected cable and someone on the reviews said it sounded darker.

Buy whichever you feel like I think the SQ doesn’t change especially in version 2/3.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #24,618 of 75,118
OMG NiceHCK just released new MMCX earbuds, NiceHCK EBX. Moreover, its price is above Rose MASYA...

Time for me to start staying away from this thread! :)

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #24,619 of 75,118
Oh
My version is the brown/gold cable but I think the silver/white sounds the same.

Cable 1, the black rubberised one is a two part connected cable and someone on the reviews said it sounded darker.

Buy whichever you feel like I think the SQ doesn’t change especially in version 2/3.

I will be getting the same as you then, love the look.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #24,621 of 75,118
Oh

I will be getting the same as you then, love the look.

Yes the pk2 shell's and braided/twisted cables look very classy. Like that old school retro look.

Although I will never look at these cheaper twisted cables the same way again after beholding the stardusts braided shimering brown cable. Looks and feels amazing.

I swear they do some things like treble and timbre as good as the stardust, listening to strings is just wonderful. The EMX500 was too unnatural sounding coming from this earbud and I don't listen to EDM to appreciate the digital/synthetic sound even if it is better as bass extension and soundstage.

Anything natural like guitar and vocals some 10/10 and after I modded them the bass is balanced with the mids and high's.

A/Bing my modded pk2 with my stardust ($20vs120) if you weren't analyzing the sound and just enjoying the music you wouldn't feel disappointed having to swap between the two. It's only when you're looking out for the differences in soundstage/imaging/resolution and extension do you hear the difference. That's more praise for the pk2 than a sleight for the Stardust. They just both share the same signature now.

It's worth your money, burn them in though :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #24,622 of 75,118
Anyone here tried this? Any good?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32819960514.html#autostay

I think they might be diff, at least based on the 1-2 feedback on ali, they have less bass and are 32ohm, what bout the emxs-500
I tried them and they really good, good separation, punchy bass, sounds really well even on my Zishan Z1, so despite its high impedance not necessarily needs amp, but sounds better amped

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #24,624 of 75,118
A/Bing my modded pk2 with my stardust ($20vs120) if you weren't analyzing the sound and just enjoying the music you wouldn't feel disappointed having to swap between the two. It's only when you're looking out for the differences in soundstage/imaging/resolution and extension do you hear the difference. That's more praise for the pk2 than a sleight for the Stardust. They just both share the same signature now.
What is the modd, exactly?

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #24,625 of 75,118
What is the modd, exactly?

- Drill bass port of 1.5mm in the bottom in the gap between the grille and the stem of the housing (if was doing it again I'd drill 3 x .5mm or whatever the smallest drill bit size is to allow for the vent's always open for different ear shapes to avoid blocking the vent, but one did work for my ear luckily).

- Apply a tiny bit of paper filter over the bass port to fine tune the bass 'boom' and keep the sound bouncing through the housing like intended.

- Use some kid of epoxy or filler to semi block the back vent with tiny dabs on each side. This is a fix to an issue caused when drilling the bass port which sacrifices the punchy tight mid bass and low mids in return for a emphasised sub bass deep and deeper tonality. Semi blocking this back vents returns some of the punchiness and brings forward the mids high's. I thought this would cause a loss of airiness which this earbud doesn't have in abundance anyway, but it didn't seem to have any negative effect if you don't narrow the vent the sound remains the same in width and air. You apply the dabs left and right of the centre, dividing the 1 vent into 3 smaller vents.

If you're actually attempting this yourself I'll take pictures to demonstrate. I need to buy an epoxy or filler because currently I just tested it with blu tack which would be an ok temporary solution.

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #24,627 of 75,118
- Drill bass port of 1.5mm in the bottom in the gap between the grille and the stem of the housing (if was doing it again I'd drill 3 x .5mm or whatever the smallest drill bit size is to allow for the vent's always open for different ear shapes to avoid blocking the vent, but one did work for my ear luckily).

- Apply a tiny bit of paper filter over the bass port to fine tune the bass 'boom' and keep the sound bouncing through the housing like intended.

- Use some kid of epoxy or filler to semi block the back vent with tiny dabs on each side. This is a fix to an issue caused when drilling the bass port which sacrifices the punchy tight mid bass and low mids in return for a emphasised sub bass deep and deeper tonality. Semi blocking this back vents returns some of the punchiness and brings forward the mids high's. I thought this would cause a loss of airiness which this earbud doesn't have in abundance anyway, but it didn't seem to have any negative effect if you don't narrow the vent the sound remains the same in width and air. You apply the dabs left and right of the centre, dividing the 1 vent into 3 smaller vents.

If you're actually attempting this yourself I'll take pictures to demonstrate. I need to buy an epoxy or filler because currently I just tested it with blu tack which would be an ok temporary solution.

Great !! Thanks for explanation. :)

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #24,629 of 75,118
I love lurking on all the earbud enthusiasm in this thread :) I'm not so active here, but I always try to show people irl why earbuds are better.

So i'm trying to limit myself one earbud for 11/11. I took a gamble on the clear mx760s soon after they came out and posted here long ago, so i've been enjoying those so much with a cayin n3 that pairs with it perfectly. I also love k's 300 pro for home use, they are power hungry but I can see why some people on EA think these were used to make Blurs. If you dont have some high impedance buds to try, don't sleep on k's 300 pro.

I also have a pk2/vido, so I guess the one earbud archetype im missing is a bassy mx500? I'm guessing the emxs-500 is too new to know anything about? I think i'll have to try this one blindly.

But look what Jim just listed on his store: clear graphenes with the different cables, like the emx500 cable! and one with a MIC! I might have to get the one with a mic later.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...234.html?spm=2114.12010611.0.0.4069512bbihPQF

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #24,630 of 75,118
But look what Jim just listed on his store: clear graphenes with the different cables, like the emx500 cable! and one with a MIC! I might have to get the one with a mic later.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...234.html?spm=2114.12010611.0.0.4069512bbihPQF

Whoa! Sweet:

upload_2017-11-10_14-36-24.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back