Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #20,716 of 75,470
Has anyone here received his/her NICEHCK EB200? It is still on my order list on AliExpress but haven't paid yet. Are they any good or Vido beater?

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #20,717 of 75,470
Cygnus LE has a fuller and forwarder presentation with a harder hitting bass and overall dynamic, which goes really well with mainstream music. In exchange of this more energetic sound
I was hoping your impression on the"German Metal" (last pic on the right) as I also enjoyed their previous models, but this Cygnus LE seems also interesting. I think it might suitable for heavier music on my playlist. Thank you.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #20,718 of 75,470
Today I decided to take some measurements of my current bud collection to try and get some objective data for comparisons. Take all this with a grain of salt because my measurement rig is far from professional.

The rig is a simple coupler attatched to a miniDSP UMIK-1 mic. The measurements are raw, uncompensated, and have no smoothing applied to them. I tried my best to get accurate and repeatable results by averaging at least 5 measurements for each earbud and re-seating the earbud for each measurement. Unless stated otherwise, the measurements were all done with Monk Plus Donut foams at 90 dB SPL. The Shozy BK was used as a reference since it is the best I have at the moment.

These measurements can only be compared to each other, not to measurements from other rigs. You can't judge too harshly any peaks or dips you see because these are uncompensated and by the time sound travels through your ears the response will have changed. Bass response won't be representative of real world bass response in your ears due to ears having a vastly different seal from the rig. What we can do is compare the responses to each other and determine which buds have more or less bass, treble, etc.

Here is the Data:
Shozy-BK-vs-Auglamour-RX-1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-NICEHCK-EB200-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-Philips-SHE3800-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-SHE3800-MP-Thin-Foam-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-Seahf-32ohm-V1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-TY-Hi-Z-32-V1-L-Plug--Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-TY-Hi-Z-32-V1-Straight-Plug--Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-VE-Monk-Plus-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-Vido-White-With-Mic-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-Vido-MP-Thin-Foam-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-Seahf-320-Smart-1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Shozy-BK-vs-TY-Hi-Z-HP320M-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-MP-Donut-Foam-vs-MP-Thin-Foam-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
TY-Hi-Z-32-V1-Straight-Plug-vs-L-Plug-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png

I think this really illustrates what a great value the Vido is (at least in my opinion). I have a pair of Sennheiser MX980, CampFred 2, EMX500, and Edifier H180 coming in the mail, so I will be able to upload some more measurements soon if you guys are interested.

EDIT: I added Shozy BK vs SHE3800 with MP thin foams to the measurements.

Attachments

• TY-Hi-Z-HP320M-vs-Seahf-320-Smart-1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
    TY-Hi-Z-HP320M-vs-Seahf-320-Smart-1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #20,719 of 75,470
@ClieOS I'm still very interested where you'd put the Cygnus LE in your list, would it be in the Contender or Champions? If it makes it to the champs, maybe you can share where specifically among the 7?

I'll still consider Cygnus LE a Champion level earbud, but not higher than BK as BK has a more versatile sound signature. I'll probably put it on the lower end of Champion right alongside the original K's 500.

@ClieOS thanks for your impressions. All your posts and replies are helpful as usual and much much appreciated. One more thing - what's your opinion on Docomo PK style earbuds (HCK DIY PK2 among others)? Is it true Cygnus also use the same drivers?

Docomo is a good earbud, but I don't feel like it is anywhere near the level of ToTL yet. Same goes for DIY PK2. I have no idea whether Cygnus uses any of their drivers, but it certainly sound better, by a good margin.

I was hoping your impression on the"German Metal" (last pic on the right) as I also enjoyed their previous models, but this Cygnus LE seems also interesting. I think it might suitable for heavier music on my playlist. Thank you.

You means 'liebesleid'? I haven't burnt it in nor have a good listening yet. Will do in a couple of days.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #20,723 of 75,470
Jun 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #20,724 of 75,470
Anyone try these Seahf F32??
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...32814353873.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.kTUeVT

Find very sexy the transparent one with silver plated cable and take the plunge. Very curious about these beauties with great looking L cable!

I received last week the "normal" Seahf AWK-F32 (this one :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/pro...rplugs-DIY-HIFI-Bass/1825606_32791280559.html)

Good earbud but nothing incredible (compared to Vido, VE Monk Plus, FiiO EM3, Awei ES10, Philips SHE3800, ... for exemple). :blush:

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #20,725 of 75,470
I received last week the "normal" Seahf AWK-F32 (this one :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/pro...rplugs-DIY-HIFI-Bass/1825606_32791280559.html)

Good earbud but nothing incredible (compared to Vido, VE Monk Plus, FiiO EM3, Awei ES10, Philips SHE3800, ... for exemple). :blush:

Oh, well, I hope the cable will improve sound quality cause this model is 2 time the price of black version...anyway, will compare them with the earbuds I got, especially FAAEL and Mrz Tomahawk.

What type of soundsignature did F32 got if I may ask?

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #20,726 of 75,470
I need a recommendation about my first pair of earbuds. I know that the best thing would be to buy a few pairs of <10$ ones that are constantly praised here, but I can't stand generic design with bad cables at all. So I am looking into earbuds that are below 40$, and came up with Yinman 150Ohms, Auglamour RX-1, **** EPK1, DIY PHEB01... I understand that these probably have more differences than similarities, but that they all have respectable sound quality. Any suggestions, is there a pair that sticks out in terms of sound quality, or maybe some earbuds that I have overlooked? Thanks.
I would not get the **** EPK1. I don't think you will be very impressed with this one as I think it is competent but unexciting. Not that great soundstage, not that great depth, and not much energetic impact. Basically, pretty dull. Out of the less expensive ones, I always go back to the Toneking TP16 (about $20?) and the NiceHCK PK2 is pretty well rounded too.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #20,727 of 75,470
@slappypete

hi, just yesterday got Vidos and thought they are the best bargain of all the bargains ever had. Could be bit less bass and more brightness. Will have to check those thin monk foams. Also today arrived opus 11 dac and it ads control to the bass and overall fidelity. Pure music.

I like lenghty reviews but those graphs are really useful especially if vidos are included for reference as apparently many people got them.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #20,728 of 75,470
Today I decided to take some measurements of my current bud collection to try and get some objective data for comparisons. Take all this with a grain of salt because my measurement rig is far from professional.
Excellent and very interesting, thanks a lot!:gs1000smile: You've just saved me a bunch of money as I believe I'm not 2k-bump compatible. Which seems like a popular signature.

Please show us more when you have :deadhorse:

Edit: would be very interesting to see what the Ozkan mod does at that resolution. I've tried to capture with iphone+FFTplot, but results are a bit unclear. But I think it elevates at 1,5-2K. It seems to me, that filling either 1 or 2 different holes at the back of a mx500 all gives different results depending on which holes. Could be extremely helpful for tweaking with a small analysis of what it does.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #20,729 of 75,470
How are vido compared to monk+, do I really need to buy them, will they offer much better performance.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #20,730 of 75,470
@slappypete

hi, just yesterday got Vidos and thought they are the best bargain of all the bargains ever had. Could be bit less bass and more brightness. Will have to check those thin monk foams. Also today arrived opus 11 dac and it ads control to the bass and overall fidelity. Pure music.

I like lenghty reviews but those graphs are really useful especially if vidos are included for reference as apparently many people got them.

I agree, the Vido is for sure the best bargain I've had so far, but of course I haven't heard em all yet! haha.

I added a new graph showing the Shozy BK vs the SHE3800 with MP thin foams to my original post. I also made a bunch of new graphs from the same data showing all the buds vs the Vido as reference.

Here they are:
Vido-vs-Auglamour-RX-1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-Seahf-32-V1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-NICEHCK-EB200-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-Seahf-320-Smart-1-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-TY Hi-Z-HP320M-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-VE-Monk-Plus-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-TY Hi-Z-32-V1-L-Plug-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-vs-Philips-SHE3800-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-MP-Donut-vs-SHE3800-MP-Thin-Foam-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png
Vido-MP-Thin--Foam-vs-SHE3800-MP-Thin-Foam-Frequency-Response-Measurement.png

Users who are viewing this thread