Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #20,701 of 75,470
@ClieOS I believe I read that you've listened to the Standard Zen 2.0. Have you tried the Black Edition, and if so...how does that compare to the Shozy BK/Cygnus offerings that you mentioned? I'm curious to try something new (If I don't get an IEM).

I have the standard Zen 2.0 and had listened to @rudi0504 Zen 2.0 Black with VE's portable balanced amp setup on CanJam Singapore as well. Given I didn't compare Zen 2.0 Black directly with BK at the time, I won't say this is in the stone - but to me, I'll say a well drivn Zen 2.0 Black is right about the same level as a well-driven BK, more or less. At this level of the game, it is very hard (and a bit unrealistic) to call which will be a total winner.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #20,703 of 75,470
Ok. Sorry everyone. From reading the replies, I realize I must've overreacted.
I get protective of people and
I guess Wong is your friend, a family member or yourself but even so your response to ClieOS is unfounded, harsh and out of line, what you say about him is easily applicable to you. If I happen not to like one of Wong´s products will you send some hitmen my way if I say so publicly? :smile_phones: Lighten up and don´t take things so personal, especially when said things aren´t about you, nobody means any harm at all here so let´s have a Mouthbud and cheer up.
bud%20light-u6424.png
im not affiliated in any way other than ordering his blur.
I don't think my response is unfounded if i don't take into consideration that English may not be clieOS' first language. After reading the responses it then occurred to me. I adjusted my position and apologized.
If English is someone's first language, it's not acceptable for them to weigh in that way in characterizing another person's ethic without foundation, especially if your word carries weight as clieOS' does. Since it's likely that clieOs isn't a native English speaker, I recognize that there is a cultural difference in that "lazy" is much more casual. My mistake. Apologies to all.
As I mentioned, I have no affiliation to Wong other than an impeccable experience getting his blurs. I simply appreciate the guy and want to share.
Your comments are judgemental and at least equally intrusive and non peaceful to say the least but i understand that you are being protective of clieOs. In essence we're doing the same thing so I accept your mouthbud and promise to never send a hitman for you.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #20,704 of 75,470
My Svara L order, placed on 29-Apr, departed China on 01-Jun, and arrived in the USA (JFK Airport) on 08-Jun.
It was transferred to the USPS in Stamford, CT on 09-Jun, and on to the USPS Sorting / Customs Center in Flushing, NY on 09-Jun.
The current status is - "Arrive at destination country, waiting for customs clearance"

The box with my Svara L arrived in the mailbox today.
I put some Hiegi donut foams on them, and I'm listening to some 24-Bit / 96-KHz FLAC files of Stefanovski & Tadic (acoustic guitar) on my Cayin N3.
Initially, I'm sensing a bit of a closed-in sound, with an elevated Bass & Lower-Midrange.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #20,705 of 75,470
No worry, I'll keep to posting short impression if nothing else.

On that note, just finish listening to both Shozy BK / Stardust and Cygnus LE (with a side serving of regular Cygnus) - I think overall I'll say the two are nearly equal in SQ, but with a rather different presentation. BK really has more or less a mature / smooth yet fairly all-accomplishing sound, especially when driven balanced. Some might have called it being a bit too neutral, which I don't think is the most corrected word to my opinion, but rather a bit on the blander (= lacking strong character) side of presentation. Cygnus LE, if anything, is comparatively more energetic and forwarded sounding. If BK is aimed to be an all rounder, Cygnus LE is really more of a 'pop star', so to speak. In contrast, Cygnus LE has a fuller and forwarder presentation with a harder hitting bass and overall dynamic, which goes really well with mainstream music. In exchange of this more energetic sound, Cygnus LE has a smaller soundstage as everything tends to sound fuller but also more 'in-your-face'. Though technically Cygnus LE can hit just as high and low a note as BK, the forwardness in presentation means 'big' music like classical lost a bit of grandness on it, but pop and rock gain a bit of more sweetness and PRaT. It is all about give and take between the BK and Cygnus LE. In that sense, I think the regular Cygnus is more or less in-between the two but more toward BK in tuning.

@ClieOS thanks for your impressions. All your posts and replies are helpful as usual and much much appreciated. One more thing - what's your opinion on Docomo PK style earbuds (HCK DIY PK2 among others)? Is it true Cygnus also use the same drivers?

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #20,707 of 75,470
@siderak : You said " ... promise to never send a hitman for you.". It means you have a lot of bulky-muscle hitmans in your home, isn't it? :muscle:

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #20,708 of 75,470
The box with my Svara L arrived in the mailbox today.
I put some Hiegi donut foams on them, and I'm listening to some 24-Bit / 96-KHz FLAC files of Stefanovski & Tadic (acoustic guitar) on my Cayin N3.
Initially, I'm sensing a bit of a closed-in sound, with an elevated Bass & Lower-Midrange.
So, is it a stinker or what? To tell you the truth, I have not heard many reviews of the Svara L. Looks cool and well made and unique design.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #20,711 of 75,470
@DBaldock9 : How about sound stage?

As I said, the initial impression is that they're closed-in, by which I mean - a fairly narrow sound stage.
Since they've got MMCX connectors, I'll be trying them with some other cables, to see how that affects the sound.

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #20,712 of 75,470
I need a recommendation about my first pair of earbuds. I know that the best thing would be to buy a few pairs of <10$ ones that are constantly praised here, but I can't stand generic design with bad cables at all. So I am looking into earbuds that are below 40$, and came up with Yinman 150Ohms, Auglamour RX-1, **** EPK1, DIY PHEB01... I understand that these probably have more differences than similarities, but that they all have respectable sound quality. Any suggestions, is there a pair that sticks out in terms of sound quality, or maybe some earbuds that I have overlooked? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #20,713 of 75,470
I need a recommendation about my first pair of earbuds. I know that the best thing would be to buy a few pairs of <10$ ones that are constantly praised here, but I can't stand generic design with bad cables at all. So I am looking into earbuds that are below 40$, and came up with Yinman 150Ohms, Auglamour RX-1, **** EPK1, DIY PHEB01... I understand that these probably have more differences than similarities, but that they all have respectable sound quality. Any suggestions, is there a pair that sticks out in terms of sound quality, or maybe some earbuds that I have overlooked? Thanks.
Yinman 150 - Midcentric
Auglamour RX1 - Bright sounding, might have a thin sound
**** EPK1 - Bright, but good vocals. Bass light.
DIY PHEB01 - Haven't tried this one.

What is your preferred sound signature? Bassy? Good vocals/mids? Bright treble? All-rounder? V-shaped (good bass and highs)? Etc.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #20,714 of 75,470
Yinman 150 - Midcentric
Auglamour RX1 - Bright sounding, might have a thin sound
**** EPK1 - Bright, but good vocals. Bass light.
DIY PHEB01 - Haven't tried this one.

What is your preferred sound signature? Bassy? Good vocals/mids? Bright treble? All-rounder? V-shaped (good bass and highs)? Etc.
Thanks for the detailed answer. For me, as long as the sound is clear and resolution is on point, minor differences in sound signature don't play a significant role (as long it is not detrimental to the overall sound - strong v-shape, muddy bass, harsh and sibilant, frequency peaks all over the place, too light on bass etc.). I guess I like balanced sound with wide soundstage, that is why earbuds might work for me better that IEMs, at least at home.

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #20,715 of 75,470
@AkashS04 One of these days, if you're up in CT area (unless your in upstate NY), we can schedule a listen of the higher end Zen line if you're interested. I have the Zen 2.0 Standard (2.5mm TRRS) and the Zen 2.0 Black Edition (4 pin XLR). I agree, they don't have a lot of bass. They are more like an "open" headphone... but still bass light. Though, the mid bass, mids and highs sound fantastic! Always puts a smile on my face. Now, I'm looking for bassier IEMs to satisfy that need as well.
Thanks buddy. I am not in CT. I work in NY so if you come this side, this can be tried. I would love to listen to high end earbuds for sure. And even IEMs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back