Earbuds Round-Up
May 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #19,997 of 75,603
Talking about limited number and expensive prize tag - not sure if anyone already mention this or not, but there is a limited edition Shozy Cygnus released in China for a bit over $200 and said to be even better than BK / StarDust. There will only be 100 pairs for 3.5mm single ended and 99 pair balanced (either 2.5mm A&K, 4.4mm Sony or 3.5mm Hifiman) in total.

May 8, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #19,999 of 75,603
Diomnes Lv2 with eidolic plug:
IMG_5161.JPG

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #20,000 of 75,603
Diomnes is actually based on the original Monk earbuds (the one before Monk+). If you can find a pair of original Monk you can send them to the guys at ABnormal Labs in Indonesia and they can turn the humble Monk into a monster Diomnes Lv2. Mind you, they are expensive. I paid something like $180 without shipping for my pair. But considering the sound they are worth it. I say they are very close to CAX black in technical capability. Actually the soundstage is bigger on my Diomnes LV2 than on my CAX black. I find CAX black to be more neutral sounding, so I put those on my no 1 spot and Diomnes Lv2 at no 2.

Still, somehow I just love the sound of CampFred so despite Diomnes Lv2 and CAX black being technically more capable, I usually pick CampFred (it's otherwise no 3 on my top list). Right now I am getting acquainted to my new pair of Shozy Stardust. Those are really really great as well!

(Mind you, all of these earbuds cost over $150 and are very limited in numbers made. But considering how good they sound and the fact that IEMs can cost 4-5 times that price, I think they are worth it).
If they cost $150 (or $180), I guess they are very well beyond my reach. I cannot buy them. Too expensive. I am going to order Vido with Mic, KST-T6 (https://goo.gl/oQPU4L) and Elecom BassX (http://www.ebay.com/itm/252826924150). Hope KST and Elecom are good ones because I have few reviewes or input about Vido but none for other two. Any idea?

May 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #20,001 of 75,603
If they cost $150 (or $180), I guess they are very well beyond my reach. I cannot buy them. Too expensive. I am going to order Vido with Mic, KST-T6 (https://goo.gl/oQPU4L) and Elecom BassX (http://www.ebay.com/itm/252826924150). Hope KST and Elecom are good ones because I have few reviewes or input about Vido but none for other two. Any idea?

I have written it before, but the good thing about TOTL earbuds is that you can get an amazing almost headphone like sound for relatively little money. My TOTL earbuds (CAX black, Diomnes Lv2, CampFred, Shozy Stardust & Blox TM7) all fairly easily beat my $300 Audio Technica ES10 headphones at everything except bass impact. I feel no need for headphones and I have never been interested in IEMs.

Anyway, today's budget earbuds are really good, especially considering the price, compared to budget earbuds from 5 or 10 years ago.

May 8, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #20,002 of 75,603
May 8, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #20,003 of 75,603
May 8, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #20,004 of 75,603
Talking about limited number and expensive prize tag - not sure if anyone already mention this or not, but there is a limited edition Shozy Cygnus released in China for a bit over $200 and said to be even better than BK / StarDust. There will only be 100 pairs for 3.5mm single ended and 99 pair balanced (either 2.5mm A&K, 4.4mm Sony or 3.5mm Hifiman) in total.

Do you... Have a link?...

I say they are very close to CAX black in technical capability. Actually the soundstage is bigger on my Diomnes LV2 than on my CAX black. I find CAX black to be more neutral sounding, so I put those on my no 1 spot and Diomnes Lv2 at no 2.

(Mind you, all of these earbuds cost over $150 and are very limited in numbers made. But considering how good they sound and the fact that IEMs can cost 4-5 times that price, I think they are worth it).

It's insane how large the soundstage is. Nothing I would imagine an earbud being capable of. It has width and immense depth.

I agree they are worth it. I'm selling $500+ headphones because I prefer the CampFred's signature over those. TOTL buds are serious competition. High-end IEMs and headphones have huge diminishing value in my experience. The only noticeable jump in quality that TOTL earbuds can't seem to reach is around $1K (not counting used aftermarket prices - for example, a used HE-560 or LCD 2 at $600). But that price point is out of reach for a lot of consumers.

May 8, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #20,008 of 75,603
@ClieOS I have a pair of VE Zen 2.0 Black Edition (4 pin XLR termination) on their way to me, do these other earbuds sound better than those as well?

I listened to @rudi0504 Zen 2.0 Black during CanJam Singapore a few months ago - if it is driven by a good balanced amp, I'll say it is about the same level as any ToTL earbuds, though I won't say it is better.

Do you... Have a link?...

You will need to be able to order from Taobao to get one, but here it is: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=549824015812
Also, mind you that only a few pair can be built each day and there is a long waiting list.

May 9, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #20,009 of 75,603
looking at diy pk2 saw they have a "black version 1" at first glance it looks like it has an extension cable, but then noticed it has 4 rings instead of 3, no mention of mic, it must be balanced with an adapter/extension for normal 3.5mm jack, or that is what I understand

also more of a stretch is the thought that the black version has more in common with shozy black, as in they might have the same driver, like the white version might have the same driver as cygnus

who knows if its true

May 9, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #20,010 of 75,603
My new phone, the LG V20 & Wong Kuan Wae's (300Ω) Blur 魔女:

Wanting to test out if the "Quad DACs" were some sort of marketing gimmick on the LG V20, I quickly loaded up some of my favorite FLAC files and took it for a spin. Without hesitation I reached first for Wong Kuan Wae's Blur 魔女. Once the music started playing, the look on my face must have been priceless, I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY! These two paired together is one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The HUGE soundstage and absolutely crystal clear playback is beyond words.

I can't tell you how real the "Hi-Fi" mode on the LG V20 truly is, I just know it SINGS when used with the Blur 魔女. Wong Kuan Wae tuned this earbud to have such perfect, slightly forward mids, along with the best detailed highs I have ever heard. I HIGHLY recommend picking up one of the Blur versions for those looking for a one of a kind sound.

P1090298.jpg

P1090300B.jpg

--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back