Earbuds Round-Up
May 9, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #20,011 of 75,422
Hey guys, Boarseman mx98 absolutely steal for the price that now on Ali, I recommend sincerely!
P70509-094959.jpg

May 9, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #20,014 of 75,422
looking at diy pk2 saw they have a "black version 1" at first glance it looks like it has an extension cable, but then noticed it has 4 rings instead of 3, no mention of mic, it must be balanced with an adapter/extension for normal 3.5mm jack, or that is what I understand

also more of a stretch is the thought that the black version has more in common with shozy black, as in they might have the same driver, like the white version might have the same driver as cygnus

who knows if its true
Capture d’écran (250).png

May 9, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #20,016 of 75,422
Hey, I'm a fan of FAAEAL. And finally I can 100% confirm it is FAAEAL because they have an ali express store now!

One of the biggest mysteries of the Universe finally solved :darthsmile: I'm tempted to buy one as I don't have any Faaeal in my collection. Any suggestions?

May 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #20,017 of 75,422
I listened to @rudi0504 Zen 2.0 Black during CanJam Singapore a few months ago - if it is driven by a good balanced amp, I'll say it is about the same level as any ToTL earbuds, though I won't say it is better.

What would sound similar, but for a much more reasonable cost? Seems like AliExpress is the only way to go, but I'd buy through Penon only, as they accept PayPal and my PayPal Credit Card.

May 9, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #20,020 of 75,422
Do you... Have a link?...

It's insane how large the soundstage is. Nothing I would imagine an earbud being capable of. It has width and immense depth.

I agree they are worth it. I'm selling $500+ headphones because I prefer the CampFred's signature over those. TOTL buds are serious competition. High-end IEMs and headphones have huge diminishing value in my experience. The only noticeable jump in quality that TOTL earbuds can't seem to reach is around $1K (not counting used aftermarket prices - for example, a used HE-560 or LCD 2 at $600). But that price point is out of reach for a lot of consumers.
But also consider that earbuds are much more delicate than headphones, over ear or on ear. There are many reports of earbuds going bad. Headphones are much more robust.

May 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #20,022 of 75,422
But also consider that earbuds are much more delicate than headphones, over ear or on ear. There are many reports of earbuds going bad. Headphones are much more robust.

I have only had 2 pairs of earbuds break in the last 9-10 years:

1. The wire on a pair of Sennheiser MX980 got caught when I was passing through a door so one ear died. I could have changed cable, but they were still under warranty so I got the money back and bought a cheaper pair from Germany

2. One driver on one of my Sony MDR-E484 suddenly died when I was out and about a few years ago. I suppose it was a combination of it being old and also that those drivers are a bit sensitive. After that I stopped using vintage earbuds outside.

I do treat my earbuds like babies so that is probably why I have only lost 2 pairs in so many years...

May 9, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #20,023 of 75,422
I have only had 2 pairs of earbuds break in the last 9-10 years:

1. The wire on a pair of Sennheiser MX980 got caught when I was passing through a door so one ear died. I could have changed cable, but they were still under warranty so I got the money back and bought a cheaper pair from Germany

2. One driver on one of my Sony MDR-E484 suddenly died when I was out and about a few years ago. I suppose it was a combination of it being old and also that those drivers are a bit sensitive. After that I stopped using vintage earbuds outside.

I do treat my earbuds like babies so that is probably why I have only lost 2 pairs in so many years...
Ho is Sennheiser MX980? I heard a lot about them that they are good but in what sense? Are the neutral sounding buds or one with good bass and excellent smooth sound/

May 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #20,024 of 75,422
Ho is Sennheiser MX980? I heard a lot about them that they are good but in what sense? Are the neutral sounding buds or one with good bass and excellent smooth sound/

I find them to be neutral and excellent. Some might find them a bit too neutral and slightly boring, but I find that they are quite transparent sounding. Diomnes Lv2 has got a slightly similar sound but more "fun" and I do find that I prefer Diomnes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back