Earbuds Round-Up
May 10, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #20,043 of 75,171
I have only had 2 pairs of earbuds break in the last 9-10 years:

1. The wire on a pair of Sennheiser MX980 got caught when I was passing through a door so one ear died. I could have changed cable, but they were still under warranty so I got the money back and bought a cheaper pair from Germany

2. One driver on one of my Sony MDR-E484 suddenly died when I was out and about a few years ago. I suppose it was a combination of it being old and also that those drivers are a bit sensitive. After that I stopped using vintage earbuds outside.

I do treat my earbuds like babies so that is probably why I have only lost 2 pairs in so many years...

Oh man i also have like 2 damaged earbuds but in only half a year. That was caused by my insufficiency in skills when changing the cables and broke the Sony E808+ and stock Benjie buds (till today i still regret this).

I dont treat my buds like babies but i nv throw them ard and abuse them except for the ones i slp with lol. They need to withstand my weight as i usually end up slping over them ahahaha

May 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #20,045 of 75,171
I am not fool who will continue to spend money on earbuds while knowing that they won't last more than 2-3 months.
They usually last longer if you treat them with care. A good rule is - budget stuff for listening when outside and high end earbuds for when you listen more concentrated at home...

May 10, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #20,046 of 75,171
Only Monk+ are currently available on Amazon UK shipped by VE Clan UK
You'll have to check later their website when they have stock of Asura 2.0 and Zen 2.0.
http://veclanuk.wixsite.com/landing
Thanks again for the tip! They just came in:
Monk.JPG

My first impression? Impressed! I had not expected earbuds less than £9 to sound this... pleasant, I think is the best word. It is such a nice smooth and easy signature. They definitely make me think about possibly getting higher end balanced earbuds such as the Zen 2.0 when they become more readily available in the UK.

May 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #20,047 of 75,171
WP_20170505_05_31_35_Pro (2).jpg
Listening to Metallica album : "Hardwired" with TY Hi-Z Hp150, very enjoyable, full & dynamic SQ right now. Its ticked all the boxes base on my expectations on listening to Heavy metal genre.

Tested with :-
Zishan Z1 + iBasso Portatube
Zishan Z1 + walnut v2 amp mode
Hifiman Hm-650 with built in power amp II card
Hifiman Hm-650 + Fiio E12

The more quality source + power feed added, Ty Hp150 perform very well thru FR spectrum. Surprisingly it sound better compare to OOTB when I first received it which is harsh treble but not after 150hrs.. It sound energetic without being sibilant anymore..

It's really hard to find good earbuds (compare to IEM) to fit my requirements for Heavy metal music.. Of course i have others lower impedance earbuds which I also enjoy thru most of the genre, but none satisfied me on listening to Heavy metal and Progressive Rock like Ty Hi-Z Hp150 (so far). Its priced right at below US20..

Cheers and enjoy your music.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #20,048 of 75,171
Has anyone every tried moving the "Monk +" drivers into another housing? I've seen Aluminum "repair" housings for earbuds and have been wondering how that would change the sound signature if I basically re-shelled the Monks + and re-cabled them. Would be an interesting experiment, but if someone else has done it and found that it was not worth the wait/expense... then I won't repeat the mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back