Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #166 of 75,160

Quote:
I've found MDR-E484, E282 & Aiwa HP D9 on Ebay in the recent 6 months. And I just bought a pair of MX980. I'd say that my top 5 now looks something like this:

1. MX980
2. Aiwa HP-D9
3. MDR-E282
4. MDR-E484
5. ATH CM700TI

The MX980 really sound like full size headphones. The highs are not as sharp as on the Sony earbuds, and almost sound recessed compared to the Sony earbuds. But still there's a lot of detail along with great imaging and instrument separation. I'd say that the Aiwa D9 are slightly better when it comes to those things, but the D9 is severly bass anemic...
Anyway, I love vintage earbuds and I find it amazing, and a bit sad, that Sony made so much better earbuds 20 years ago than they do today...

I remember seeing you on old threads about vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds. I'm still looking for Aiwa HP-V99 and V9. Hopefully I'll find a pair that I don't have to pay through my nose for...

hi Danneq, nice to see you again.
My top 5 earbuds: 
1. PK1
2. Blox TM5
3. Crossroads HR1
4. OK1
5. CM700
then the next 15 are: Crossroads HR2, AKG K319, ok2, ok3, Radius Woody, Beyerdynamics Mipro E8E, PK3, Sennheiser mx760, mx90vc, v-moda remix m-class, hisound paa-1, soundmagic ph10, Cresyn EP800, Nokia HS450, Philips SHE7850

i am searching the legendary Sony E484 since a long time ago, but the price is always too high , at least $200 at ebay, and the japanese auction site is even crazier.
i hope someday i can try mx980 and hisound living/live/paa1pro and blox m2c

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #167 of 75,160
Hello a_tumiwa!

I'm curious about the Blox TM5, but the Blox M2C is said to sound almost as good as the TM5. There's also a new version of the M2C that probably will be released soon.

I have missed the Crossroads earbuds...

Well, recently I have wanted to try out old Sony and Aiwa earbuds and I have bought all of them from German Ebay. It is a good place for old vintage earbuds. But the prices are of course a bit high. I have paid around or over $200 each for the three Sony and Aiwa earbuds that I like the most. But since they are discontinued and very rare, I understand that they are difficult to find and that the price therefor becomes much higher.

You really should try to get the Sennheiser MX980. It definitely beats most other earbuds in the overall sound. Very deep bass and great detail and instrument separation. It sounds like much more than just earbuds. It has been discontinued, and I think that prices will slowly go up from now. Sennheiser has not yet come with a replacement model...

Still I really like other earbuds as well and they all have different and equally fascinating sound characteristics.

I also want to try out the Hisoundaudio earbuds. But I think I will take it easy with earbuds for a while now since I have spent too much on them during the last 6 months...

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #168 of 75,160
You'll want to look out for the next Blox flagship as well. I have a beta pair for evaluation and it is great sounding, nothing short of PK1 / MX980's level of SQ and it is not the final version yet.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #169 of 75,160

Quote:
You'll want to look out for the next Blox flagship as well. I have a beta pair for evaluation and it is great sounding, nothing short of PK1 / MX980's level of SQ and it is not the final version yet.

I have read about that one. Do you think it will be released? Blox seems to only concentrate on one earbud model at a time and I've read that this new Blox flagship earbud might not leave the prototype stage...

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #170 of 75,160
They certainly is taking their time. Even on current stage, I'll think it is ready to be release. I can only hope it will be even better by the time of release.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #171 of 75,160

Quote:

Only pk1/mx980 level? How does it compare to Living? I am considering selling my Living but was under the impression that the next Blox should be as least as good as Living technically ...

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #172 of 75,160

Quote:
Quote:

Only pk1/mx980 level? How does it compare to Living? I am considering selling my Living but was under the impression that the next Blox should be as least as good as Living technically ...

you could also wait for the next Hisound ...

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #173 of 75,160

If you haven't noticed, I already placed Living ahead of PK1 in the ranking.

Anyway, it is a figure of speech to show what kind of level its will be, so don't overthink / overextend the meaning of the words I used.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #174 of 75,160
what is the price tag for this new Blox earbuds? the Blox TM5 cost $180 and i think if this new blox around the level of pk1/mx980/living, so the price should be around $180 too 

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #175 of 75,160
Went to check on one of my E484 today and discovered that one of the driver is toasted.  Not sure why.  I soldered in a new wire but still no sound.  Down to one E484 now.  :frowning2:  Got to take care of my precious!

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #176 of 75,160

Quote:
Went to check on one of my E484 today and discovered that one of the driver is toasted.  Not sure why.  I soldered in a new wire but still no sound.  Down to one E484 now.  :frowning2:  Got to take care of my precious!

Ahhh! That sucks!

Did you just solder the wire that is connected to the driver? It's not a problem somewhere along the cable? I baby my vintage earbuds and all of them are okay.

Well, when I received my Aiwa HP-D9, the left bud sounded really bad. It sounded like a bad transistor radio. I left it in a drawer for a few weeks and then I decided to open it up and see what was the problem. There was a tiny hole in the diaphragm, so I put a tiny piece of scotch tape over the hole. Amazingly it worked and now it sounds like normal.

Do you think that a driver can stop functioning just like that? Granted, the E484 are old, but without outside influence in the form of high air humidity or big changes in temperature they should be like new if they are not used.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #177 of 75,160
what is the price tag for this new Blox earbuds? the Blox TM5 cost $180 and i think if this new blox around the level of pk1/mx980/living, so the price should be around $180 too 

Don't know. I was not informed about the price, or even when it will be released.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #178 of 75,160
Updated with Blox M2c, and you can find the full review here.

p/s: Now I think of it, I do remember being told that the next Blox flagship 'will not be cheap'.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #179 of 75,160

Quote:
Updated with Blox M2c, and you can find the full review here.
p/s: Now I think of it, I do remember being told that the next Blox flagship 'will not be cheap'.

good sound and affordable, nice combo,
only lack of advertising and distribution.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #180 of 75,160
just tested Blox M2C, i think these earbuds are for Natural-lover , the included foams are also very good and thick
M2C have difference sound character than Blox TM2, which is more Bass oriented

Users who are viewing this thread

Back