Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #151 of 75,135
i just notice that Hisound living and live are different model.
Does Hisound Living has a thin sound character and thin bass like B&O A8 ?

Yes, Living and Live are two different model.

Also yes, Living does has a similar thin sound like the A8. But here is a mod you can do to make A8 thicker sounding.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #152 of 75,135
ever tried the ATH CM7? It's out of production now... and I always wanted to get my hands on one... although AT is now making a lot "better" dynamic IEMs.. but lots of people believe that the CM7 still has the most original AT SQ (vocal central) If anyone knows a place where I can get a genuine pair, please share it... it is much appreciated...

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #153 of 75,135
I heard a CM7 once, a very long time ago. It has been discontinued for such a long time, finding a genuine pair will be difficult since there are a lot of fake CM7 coming out of China. If you don't mind the ear clip, B&O A8 will be the closest thing to a CM7. They are both OEM'ed by the same company and has been compared side-by-side during their prime time for their similarity in sound.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #154 of 75,135
Mar 26, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #155 of 75,135
The last thing I would ever describe the Pk1 as is spacious, open, airy or having a good sound stage.  Under no circumstances did I find the Pk1 to even remotely come close to the Paa1 Pro in sound stage qualities, not even with spacious sources and amps like the Studio V or the Asgard.  Funny how we all hear differently.  I'd stake my life on the Hisound buds being significantly more open and spacious sounding than the Pk1, but thats just my view.  Maybe I'm insane, not sure really :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #156 of 75,135
The last thing I would ever describe the Pk1 as is spacious, open, airy or having a good sound stage.  Under no circumstances did I find the Pk1 to even remotely come close to the Paa1 Pro in sound stage qualities, not even with spacious sources and amps like the Studio V or the Asgard.  Funny how we all hear differently.  I'd stake my life on the Hisound buds being significantly more open and spacious sounding than the Pk1, but thats just my view.  Maybe I'm insane, not sure really :)

I listened to both again just a few hours ago and definitely reached a different conclusion from you. But as you said, we all hear differently.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your PK1? I have a very old pair from back in 2008, so I wonder if there is change during the year or worst, fake, since Yuin has been known to be cloned for the last few years. Just wonder....

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #158 of 75,135
I've had maybe 4 or 5 PK1s since they were released.  Hisound specifically and purposely bested all the major earbuds in terms of sound staging, this was their highest goal.  Seriously, go ask them what their intent was and it will be something in regards to achieving the best sound staging possible.  I think this is a matter of having a different opinion on what "open" means.  Mike from Headfonia also disagrees with pretty much everything I have concluded, which always shocked me to the core.  Some listeners sense a more open sound when a set of iems have prominent stage depth, sets like the Pk1 have this type of sound.  When properly amped, the stage depth is good, better than the Paa1 Pro but still heavily lacking width and height, which is significantly better on the hisound buds.  I can see how to some that would give off a sense of openness, again as we both said we all hear differently.  Some ears might pick up on this type of signature and produce an open sound, I just don't hear it.  When I A/B both sets together I find the Hisound Pro to be significantly taller, wider, and more open.  My definition of Open is a sense of airiness and separation qualities, in this regard the Pk1 pales in comparison to the Paa1 Pro, which again was literally designed to trump the Pk1 and other similar earbuds.  

Just my two cents, nobody is wrong or right when it comes to opinion. :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #159 of 75,135
4~5 PK1? That's really something. If soundstage is HiSound's goal, I will agree that they do quite well with the Living, but not that much on the PAA-1 Pro IMO.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #160 of 75,135
Nice thread.  From my experience, the E484 and Sennheiser MX-980 reign supreme in the earbuds world.  I'm not sure which of the two I like better but the Sony MDR-E484 is just simply excellent sounding.  Of course, tracking one down is highly unlikely due to how old it is.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #161 of 75,135

Quote:
Nice thread.  From my experience, the E484 and Sennheiser MX-980 reign supreme in the earbuds world.  I'm not sure which of the two I like better but the Sony MDR-E484 is just simply excellent sounding.  Of course, tracking one down is highly unlikely due to how old it is.

I've found MDR-E484, E282 & Aiwa HP D9 on Ebay in the recent 6 months. And I just bought a pair of MX980. I'd say that my top 5 now looks something like this:

1. MX980
2. Aiwa HP-D9
3. MDR-E282
4. MDR-E484
5. ATH CM700TI

The MX980 really sound like full size headphones. The highs are not as sharp as on the Sony earbuds, and almost sound recessed compared to the Sony earbuds. But still there's a lot of detail along with great imaging and instrument separation. I'd say that the Aiwa D9 are slightly better when it comes to those things, but the D9 is severly bass anemic...
Anyway, I love vintage earbuds and I find it amazing, and a bit sad, that Sony made so much better earbuds 20 years ago than they do today...

I remember seeing you on old threads about vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds. I'm still looking for Aiwa HP-V99 and V9. Hopefully I'll find a pair that I don't have to pay through my nose for...

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #162 of 75,135
@ Danneq:

Yup, I'm a big fan of earbuds listening and still have several of them in my collection.  I am not surprised seeing the MX980 at the top of your list as they do sound like a full size headphones.  I bought the MX980 2 years ago only to give it away to my cousin.  No comparison was made to my E484 but I do feel that they do sound better as well.  I am curious on why you like the E282 better than the E484?  At the moment, I still have 2 E484s, 2 E472s, 1 E565, and 5 E888s in my collection.  

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #163 of 75,135

Quote:
@ Danneq:

Yup, I'm a big fan of earbuds listening and still have several of them in my collection.  I am not surprised seeing the MX980 at the top of your list as they do sound like a full size headphones.  I bought the MX980 2 years ago only to give it away to my cousin.  No comparison was made to my E484 but I do feel that they do sound better as well.  I am curious on why you like the E282 better than the E484?  At the moment, I still have 2 E484s, 2 E472s, 1 E565, and 5 E888s in my collection.  

then, have you tried the akg k312/4 ? my first head-fi buy

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #164 of 75,135

Quote:

then, have you tried the akg k312/4 ? my first head-fi buy

No I have not, and likely won't even though they probably sound great.  My days of listening purely on earbuds are now over especially after I bought the Shure SE530.  Since my 530 broke down, I was fortunate enough to buy the JH13pro and SE535 as my portable phones of choice.  I found that IEM allows me to listen at much lower volume thus minimizing additional hearing damage posted by most headphones listening.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #165 of 75,135

Quote:
@ Danneq:

I feel that the E282 sound more spacious than the E484. The E484 do have more punch in their sound and more detail, but the E282 is closer to full size headphones. Still the E484 is heads and sholders above most current earbud models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back