Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Aug 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #211 of 1,242
Problem with spending money on top-tier IEM is that, for the same money I will just miss out on 2~4 other cheaper IEM / gears that interest me, Since I don't sell, I'll like to get more for the same money. It is also not helpful that some (well, most) of the top-tier are very expensive locally. I do audition some of these IEM in store I frequent and many times I just don't feel like spending money on them once I have a listen. On other occasion, I just wait for them to drop their price and that can be a year or more.

Quote:
Quote:
You've got a long test list. Unfortunately, SEVERAL popular and/or higher-end models are missing, so I don't visit your review thread as often as I'd like.

Would like to see these added:

Westone 4 - Haven't had the chance to try it yet. I love UM3X but am not impressed by W3 (as a follow up after UM2).
Senn IE-8 - There is a long story behinds it, but the simple version is: due to some events, I don't feel like I want to review IE8 anymore.
ES3 v2 - SM3 v2? I did listen to SM3 v1 before, too laid back to warrant my money.
JVC 700 - Can't be found locally without an insane price tag.
Sony EX1000 - Listened. Interested but way too expensive (locally) at the moment. Waiting for the price to drop as that always happens to Sony.
Grado GR10 - With e-Q5 and e-Q7 with me now, I don't see a big point on reviewing GR10. Plus, I personally think Grado can do better than what looks like rebadging job
beyer 101 - Haven't seen it locally yet, but I do like to review it sometime.
etc.

Add $USD for each unit, say after Pro/Con.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #212 of 1,242
ClieOS ...

The top-$ universals I noted above are quite popular on H-F. What's your bug with the IE-8? It's my standard and it is very popular on this forum.
With worldwide online shopping, not sure why getting local is a big issue ... unless its a try-before-you-buy thing?
Also not sure why spending more on top IEM/cans is an issue -- especially for a "IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire" ? 
biggrin.gif
 I mean, you're going to spend that $$ anyway ... eventually. Or are you trying to project a quantity vs. quality review style. Nothing wrong with the former. But you've got a LOT of IEMs in your thread that I've never heard of and are ho-hum IAC.
It may be a matter of "philosophy" ... I'm not rich, but I'm not into the hobby/culture of testing/comparing/discussing (& selling / trading) :wink: I want to buy every few years ... and then forget about the issue.
Hence ... I don't like trudging thru lengthy/verbose over-written reviews. That's why I favorably commented on your style above ... you mostly write for the web ... succinct, get-to-the-point, use grammar "tools" such as bulleted points, lists, charts, info-graphics, etc.
Agree with your 'laid back' comment on ES SM3 being laid back. Even my "free" Teclast R8 IEM (came with T51) are better than the over-rated SM3 (I have v2, too!!)
Wouldn't mind seeing more comments on a reviewed IEM's speed, energy, dynamics, pace, rhythm, timing, decay. You used the term "snappy" bass for the Sony 10000 -- "snappy" is a good word for what I want.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #213 of 1,242
I'd really prefer ClieOS review the lesser known models. One example would be when he first reviewed the Eterna and he got an iem out there that we may not have ever heard of if not for him.

The more expensive earphones have been covered by many people so another review wouldn't change much about them as much as a lesser known model.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #214 of 1,242

Quote:
...What's your bug with the IE-8? It's my standard and it is very popular on this forum.
With worldwide online shopping, not sure why getting local is a big issue ... unless its a try-before-you-buy thing?

If you wish to know about my IE8 story - back in the day when IE8 was first launched, I asked Sennheiser if I can review it and they kindly agreed to arrange a sample. It was hard to find locally at that time and the price tag was close to US$500 (actually, I think it still is) where in comparison you can get an IE8 in UK for US$250 or so. So Sennheiser referred me to their local distributor whom handles the actual stock and sale, and then everything went down hill. First they told me that stock has yet to arrive, then they told me they don't have enough stock and couldn't even let me a demo set. After 6 months of email exchange, the local distributor finally told me, if I want review, I should read it on Sennheiser's website. So I am pissed, not because they didn't give me a sample (which is well in their right ) but because they could have told me 6 months ago where they never really intend to give me a sample or let me review it. So I am disappointed by Sennheiser local distributor and decide it is not worth the effort to review a product which might end up benefiting distributor like that. At the end I went to a local store I frequent (which at that time already has plenty of IE8 stock) and gave it a listen just to see what I have missed, then I picked up a few IEM which filled in the space for IE8 - no regret there.

Worldwide shipping is tricky - first, most companies (which are mainly in U.S.) that offer good price on top-tier usually don't ship oversea. Those who do ship oversea often asks for a very expensive shipping that can easily go over $100, making it almost no benefit to order it from oversea. Second, expensive audio gears often get taxed at custom. Third, no warranty. Last is just a personal thing - I like to shop local as much as possible especially since I know those shops well and always get to demo their new stuffs.

Well, I am not that rich. I usually only spent 1~3 thousands on IEM and gears yearly and I want to make them counted. I don't review just to review as I do want to enjoy them as much as I can. So if I even buy a top-tier, I need to make sure it is worth my money because I have made a point with myself never to sell any gears I have.

Quote:
I'd really prefer ClieOS review the lesser known models...

Ha, I have my moment
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #215 of 1,242
Ah, local stores that sell IEMs. In my area of the world, that is a pipe dream at best. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to have a local store nearby like the so called "headphone heaven" in Hong Kong.
redface.gif
And the ability to audition (!) IEMs on the premises...maybe it's time to plan a vacation in the Orient.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #216 of 1,242

Quote:
Ah, local stores that sell IEMs. In my area of the world, that is a pipe dream at best. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to have a local store nearby like the so called "headphone heaven" in Hong Kong.
redface.gif
And the ability to audition (!) IEMs on the premises...maybe it's time to plan a vacation in the Orient.
biggrin.gif

I use the term 'local' fairy loosely. They are like either 3+ hours away on another country, but at least I can still  visit them a few time a year as long as my schedule allows
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #217 of 1,242
say clieos. as for the Xcited treble extension/texture, which one is it closer/compareble to , to the RE0 (which you mentioned to be one of the best, IIRC (even better than the Er4s)) or to the RE-Zero?

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #218 of 1,242

Quote:
say clieos. as for the Xcited treble extension/texture, which one is it closer/compareble to , to the RE0 (which you mentioned to be one of the best, IIRC (even better than the Er4s)) or to the RE-Zero?

Xcited treble is closer to RE-ZERO than RE0.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #219 of 1,242
Hey ClieOS,

thanks for reviewing the Sunrise Xcape IE. I read your review about it a few times before ordering a pair. I am happy to say that they are great, the sound signature is exactly what I want and the fit is great. Right from the box I knew these were special and have been continuing to surprise and amaze me. I love the way that all the music I am listening to regardless of genre just sounds natural and fun, it's all enjoyable 
biggrin.gif

Thanks again and love the way you are splitting up IEM's by sound signature, makes it much easier to pick out something you want if you know what sound you like.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #220 of 1,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am listening to regardless of genre just sounds natural and fun, it's all enjoyable ...
biggrin.gif

Glad to know you like it
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #221 of 1,242
First of all, just want to congratulate ClieOS for such awesome reviews. The first time I bought an IEM, it was ClieOS's reviews that provided me with the most information and out of the 10 or so IEMs I have purchased, I regreted buying only 2 of them (which i only bought out of curiosity). Same as ClieOS, I buy IEMs to keep and not to sell so I make sure I read as much reviews as I could before spending precious money on them. Good IEMs are are quite rare in my locality and you can only find the more "popular" ones but they're not necessarily the good ones. So I end up ordering these babies online, mostly from eBay, and from other online stores. Anyway, thanks again to CLieOS and am looking forward to owning more IEMs if my finances are willing
Quote:
If you wish to know about my IE8 story - back in the day when IE8 was first launched, I asked Sennheiser if I can review it and they kindly agreed to arrange a sample. It was hard to find locally at that time and the price tag was close to US$500 (actually, I think it still is) where in comparison you can get an IE8 in UK for US$250 or so. So Sennheiser referred me to their local distributor whom handles the actual stock and sale, and then everything went down hill. First they told me that stock has yet to arrive, then they told me they don't have enough stock and couldn't even let me a demo set. After 6 months of email exchange, the local distributor finally told me, if I want review, I should read it on Sennheiser's website. So I am pissed, not because they didn't give me a sample (which is well in their right ) but because they could have told me 6 months ago where they never really intend to give me a sample or let me review it. So I am disappointed by Sennheiser local distributor and decide it is not worth the effort to review a product which might end up benefiting distributor like that. At the end I went to a local store I frequent (which at that time already has plenty of IE8 stock) and gave it a listen just to see what I have missed, then I picked up a few IEM which filled in the space for IE8 - no regret there.

Worldwide shipping is tricky - first, most companies (which are mainly in U.S.) that offer good price on top-tier usually don't ship oversea. Those who do ship oversea often asks for a very expensive shipping that can easily go over $100, making it almost no benefit to order it from oversea. Second, expensive audio gears often get taxed at custom. Third, no warranty. Last is just a personal thing - I like to shop local as much as possible especially since I know those shops well and always get to demo their new stuffs.

Well, I am not that rich. I usually only spent 1~3 thousands on IEM and gears yearly and I want to make them counted. I don't review just to review as I do want to enjoy them as much as I can. So if I even buy a top-tier, I need to make sure it is worth my money because I have made a point with myself never to sell any gears I have.

Ha, I have my moment
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #222 of 1,242
Hi ClieOS, An Awesome multi-iem review with a classification of Sound Signature. Seriously I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

I am gonna buy an earphone for myself and I have shortlisted 2 earphones:

1. Brainwavz M2
2. MEELectronics CC51

My sound preference is Warm+Sweet, Deep, Tight, Punchy Bass which should not overshadowed mids coz I need rich mids too and smooth high frequencies with gud extension.

If it would have a gud soundstage that will be an additition in my big smile.

Thank you :)

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #223 of 1,242

Quote:
Anyway, thanks again to CLieOS and am looking forward to owning more IEMs if my finances are willing

Glad to see my review is useful for you :)

Quote:
1. Brainwavz M2
2. MEELectronics CC51

I know I listed M2 as mid centric sound but it is also quite a warm sounding IEM as well. If warmth and smoothness are the first consideration, I'll recommend M2 before CC51 as it seems to fit better to what you are looking.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #224 of 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know I listed M2 as mid centric sound but it is also quite a warm sounding IEM as well. If warmth and smoothness are the first consideration, I'll recommend M2 before CC51 as it seems to fit better to what you are looking.

Thank You for the fast response. Right now I am using SoundMagic MP21 so how gud the Brainwavz M2 be in comparison of SoundMagic MP21 in Sound Quality?

How much is the bass quantity and quality of M2 in the comparison of MP21?

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #225 of 1,242

Quote:

Thank You for the fast response. Right now I am using SoundMagic MP21 so how gud the Brainwavz M2 be in comparison of SoundMagic MP21 in Sound Quality?

How much is the bass quantity and quality of M2 in the comparison of MP21?

It will be a pretty decent jump from MP21 (which is the same as PL21 I reviewed before) to M2. The most noticeable difference on M2 is the much more livelier and upfront presentation compared to the slightly dark MP21. Everything is more, including bass, mid (especially) and treble. Soundstage is relatively the same, but more rounded, intimate with a better image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back