Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #4,606 of 5,854
^If you could just get the esp950 without amp and with stax plug.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4,607 of 5,854
  ^If you could just get the esp950 without amp and with stax plug.

I think that might be a little unfair; each headphone should theoretically be tested in its stock form.

He could use a Stax energizer as an aside, though; I'd be interested to know what he thinks of the improvements. I didn't think my pair changed enough to warrant the upgrade cost of retermination and a new amp.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,608 of 5,854
This is one great piece of work indeed, thanks for all the reviews.

But i got a question, i got the HD700, and am very pleased with them, but there is one little problem and that is the sibilance, don't bother me all that much, but from time to time it does. So am wondering if that's something which could be fixed with an amp/dac? If not, which other pair of headphones would one look at for an upgrade? Of course they should have the "same" sound or sound better, without the sibilance problem, and still be as comfortable as the HD700's are, as they are a dream to wear, and to me that is important.

I've been thinking of the HD800, but i guess a decent amp/dac setup for those are probably gonna cost me a bit more than what i want to invest at the moment, but am also a bit afraid that they might have some of the sibilance problems that the HD700's have.

Thanks! Based on your experience the HD800 may not be the right choice for you as you already are concerned.  Although it is worth mentioning that the HD700 are certainly more awkward in the sibilance region.  The HD500 may be a good fit for you.

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this... Read your reviews countless times and it's definitely helped me in deciding what headphones to look for 
smile.gif

:) Thanks!

It will be interesting to see how the new LCD X will score in this list

:) We'll see.... but I can't promise any new additions these days.  :)

please add review of these models: IE 800, IE80 and Westone 4R

Regarding the Westone 4R, it is sonically identical to the Westone 4 but offers a detachable cable.

hello david,

I am very interested in what you have said about the MANLEY 300B. I have a pair of HD800 and T1 myself, with SPL PHONITOR as an amp. I am not quite satisfied with the HD800 and phonitor combination, although they are good enough. I only listen to CLASSICAL music and some JAZZ with Neutral taste. So I have to look for something else for the HD800. My question will be whether you have auditioned an APEX PEAK. If you have, how will you comment it towards the 300B?

Thanks a lot.

J

I heard the Apex Peak at a meet briefly and was very impressed with how it fared with the HD800 actually.  Based on my recollection, I would still choose the 300B, but it carries a heavy pricetag.  I think the Manley 300B is an extraordinarily musical amp.

Do you have any updates for us on the ESP950? :)

Unfortunately no:frowning2:

I think that might be a little unfair; each headphone should theoretically be tested in its stock form.

He could use a Stax energizer as an aside, though; I'd be interested to know what he thinks of the improvements. I didn't think my pair changed enough to warrant the upgrade cost of retermination and a new amp.

If I ever did include the ESP-950 (though unlikely at this time), I would probably reterminate it, though I do understand your points

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #4,611 of 5,854
Wish there's a amp/DAC version of this comparison xD

+2 - only difficulty is choosing which headphone(s) to use as your standards for evaluating the amps and DACs! I guess the HD800 would be one of them, and personally I'd also like to see the T1, LCD-3 and HE-6. I couldn't imagine the time (and money) it would take to listen to the multitude of amps and DACs out there, even if it were limited to the so-called 'Flagship' models just like David did here.

Again, David, thank you oh so much for this treasure trove of information. I don't know how many times I've read it, but each time it still amazes me that you had the dedication, time and MONEY to do this! :)

And to those that keep asking David to add more headphones to the list - stop it! I don't think it's at all fair to ask him to spend even more time that he already admits he doesn't have. Even if he did have the time, the first step for those interested in a specific model should be taking up a collection and supplying David with a pair. And that's just to start... to continually update this is something akin to a full time job, so we should also be paying him a salary to do it. Enough said... just my ramblings from someone (like many) who really appreciates the effort that went into this.

Dale

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #4,612 of 5,854

+2 - only difficulty is choosing which headphone(s) to use as your standards for evaluating the amps and DACs! I guess the HD800 would be one of them, and personally I'd also like to see the T1, LCD-3 and HE-6. I couldn't imagine the time (and money) it would take to listen to the multitude of amps and DACs out there, even if it were limited to the so-called 'Flagship' models just like David did here.

Again, David, thank you oh so much for this treasure trove of information. I don't know how many times I've read it, but each time it still amazes me that you had the dedication, time and MONEY to do this! :)

And to those that keep asking David to add more headphones to the list - stop it! I don't think it's at all fair to ask him to spend even more time that he already admits he doesn't have. Even if he did have the time, the first step for those interested in a specific model should be taking up a collection and supplying David with a pair. And that's just to start... to continually update this is something akin to a full time job, so we should also be paying him a salary to do it. Enough said... just my ramblings from someone (like many) who really appreciates the effort that went into this.

Dale

I agree with you.

Dave is a fantastic guy!

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #4,613 of 5,854
Wish there's a amp/DAC version of this comparison xD

Me too!! haha

Dale

Well, thank you for this:)  Although I don't mind being asked.  I just probably can't supply much further :frowning2:

The time I've spent with my headphone rig has become less and less as I've gotten myself into a more active routine and I've been performing quite a bit again.  The money is also another issue.  I will be adding a few more pieces here as I've already gotten more gear, but after that I will likely announce that the thread is closed.  If Stax or Sennheiser ever ups the ante I may at that point return, but the time invested in this does wear on me as I try to be as precise and fair to each headphone as possible :)

I agree with you.

Dave is a fantastic guy!

Thank you:)

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #4,616 of 5,854
Well, 812 will be the new akg flagship. However i hoped the 712 will go to the list too, since it might be my next cans :D
Would also love to see philips fidelio x1 in the list. It got many praise lately for its price performance.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #4,617 of 5,854
Would also love to see philips fidelio x1 in the list. It got many praise lately for its price performance.

I came to comment on this thread just about that!! I wonder how they'd compare with the bigger toys. Would that be too much to ask?

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #4,618 of 5,854
Interesting to always come back to this thread and see the demands for more and more models to be added. Feel sorry for David here, he must have spent unfortold hours on this, any new additions are a lot of work to add, let alone coming up with a definite rank.

I'm just happy something as complete as this exists, the work you have done is absolutely incredible. I have a lot of respect for your amazing dedication to the hobby and drive to create this helpful and time saving guide. Kudo's David!

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,620 of 5,854
David,
Are you are planning to evaluate the new Audeze products LCD-X and LCD-XC?  I hope so - I think all posting here appreciate your thorough and detailed evaluations - thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back