Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Sep 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,501 of 5,854
Yeah I dunno, but from David's review of the HD650:

CABLE: The quality of the HD650's stock cable is not too bad considering the price of the headphone. Some have remarked that its internal design is a downgrade from the HD600's stock cable. However, Sennheiser makes the cable easily removable. This makes it easy to install an aftermarket cable replacement. I use the Moon Audio Silver Dragon when in balanced mode. I think the HD650 scales especially well in balanced mode; it opens up the soundstage a bit.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #4,502 of 5,854
Quote:
Yeah I dunno, but from David's review of the HD650:

CABLE: The quality of the HD650's stock cable is not too bad considering the price of the headphone. Some have remarked that its internal design is a downgrade from the HD600's stock cable. However, Sennheiser makes the cable easily removable. This makes it easy to install an aftermarket cable replacement. I use the Moon Audio Silver Dragon when in balanced mode. I think the HD650 scales especially well in balanced mode; it opens up the soundstage a bit.

some have remarked, and theres always the option of upgrading to an aftermarket cable. nuff said. 

either way, stock is dirt cheap, buy both and see which one you like best.  
biggrin.gif

i personally couldn't live with my stock HD 650 cable when i had it, i had a blue dragon that was much nicer.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #4,504 of 5,854
Very much looking forward to his review of the Alpha Dogs if/when he gets a pair. Really like to see what they can do with his monster amps. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4,506 of 5,854
My first impression was that it was pretty heavy. It never quite "disappears", but for the sound quality, it's quite managable. I really enjoyed my loaner time with the HE-500, will probably look to purchase it after I upgrade my DAC.

The LCD-2 on the other hand...What a fiasco that thing turned out to be. First 3 times I wore it, my jaw area hurt afterwards because of the clamp. The fourth time, I figured I'd move it backwards, off my jaw. Now the earpads were clamping the back of my neck. And I tried adjusting the hell out of it. Totally uncomfortable and, frankly, I much preferred the sound of the HE-500 on just about everything in the same set-up anyway. Now I think I understand why this headphone is such a regular in the "For sale" forum.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #4,507 of 5,854
I keep my hair cropped short so I'm not a big fan of how the segments on the LCD-2 headband dig into my skull. It's like how the K701 is really uncomfortable if you've got the cups extended all the way down. The old foam headband seems much more comfortable, but the exposed foam looks like it would wear out fast.

However, I'd probably give them another chance if my local tailor agrees to make a memory foam/leather pad that could button over the headband.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,510 of 5,854
I prefer my lcd2 for blues, jazz and most types of rock and metal over the he-500. The only genre I mostly use the he-500 for is post rock and black metal due to the smoother treble.

T1 is used for classical, ambient, movie watching plus gaming.

Th600 mainly for EDM, Kpop, Industrial rock and hip hop

I want to get a hd800 and/or W3000anv in the future. Trying another grado is a chance. Fischer audios limited edition FA-011 I have heard compared favorably against the hd650, and that is apparently very aggressive.

My first impression was that it was pretty heavy. It never quite "disappears", but for the sound quality, it's quite managable. I really enjoyed my loaner time with the HE-500, will probably look to purchase it after I upgrade my DAC.

The LCD-2 on the other hand...What a fiasco that thing turned out to be. First 3 times I wore it, my jaw area hurt afterwards because of the clamp. The fourth time, I figured I'd move it backwards, off my jaw. Now the earpads were clamping the back of my neck. And I tried adjusting the hell out of it. Totally uncomfortable and, frankly, I much preferred the sound of the HE-500 on just about everything in the same set-up anyway. Now I think I understand why this headphone is such a regular in the "For sale" forum.

Did you ever try stretching the headband with your thumbs in the center, pulling them outward. Can make a world of difference for some with the lcd2 clamp. The metal in the headband tends to loosen up the grip after a few times stretching YMMV

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #4,511 of 5,854
  Winners

3. Beyer is testament to fine German engineering build quality top to bottom. My wife is also German and has fine build quality top to bottom also. 
size]
 They have maybe the most comfortable pads and perfect clamp in the game. 

Agreed.  Beyerdynamic headphones are not only wonderfully comfortable, but are also built exceptionally well.  With respect to comfort, he only high-end cans I have tried on and actually preferred over my T1's were my own DT880's and a friend's pair of HD800's.  I can listen to my T1's and DT880's (relegated to movie duties, the days) for hours on end!  My HE-500's and LCD 2.2's... not so much.       

P.S.--As for your wife's build quality... Ha, ha!  Good stuff!  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4,512 of 5,854
Well, this LCD-2 was a loaner, so I assume it has some mileage on it. I tried it in every position imaginable and nothing worked. At one point, I thought the clamp on my jaw was getting better, then 15 minutes later...*pain*.

I did try what you said and it worked okay for the HE-500. The LCD-2, it didn't really improve. The problem is the size and shape of the pads on it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4,513 of 5,854
  Well, this LCD-2 was a loaner, so I assume it has some mileage on it. I tried it in every position imaginable and nothing worked. At one point, I thought the clamp on my jaw was getting better, then 15 minutes later...*pain*.

I did try what you said and it worked okay for the HE-500. The LCD-2, it didn't really improve. The problem is the size and shape of the pads on it.

Completely agree.  I've had my LCD-2's for a few months and I've tried almost everything.  It seems there's just too much weight to distribute, and the shape and angle of the pads makes the distribution very uncomfortable.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #4,514 of 5,854
I prefer my lcd2 for blues, jazz and most types of rock and metal over the he-500. The only genre I mostly use the he-500 for is post rock and black metal due to the smoother treble.

T1 is used for classical, ambient, movie watching plus gaming.

Th600 mainly for EDM, Kpop, Industrial rock and hip hop

I want to get a hd800 and/or W3000anv in the future. Trying another grado is a chance. Fischer audios limited edition FA-011 I have heard compared favorably against the hd650, and that is apparently very aggressive.
Did you ever try stretching the headband with your thumbs in the center, pulling them outward. Can make a world of difference for some with the lcd2 clamp. The metal in the headband tends to loosen up the grip after a few times stretching YMMV

HE-500 smoother treble than LCD2?

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #4,515 of 5,854

HE-500 smoother treble than LCD2?

Well it has more extended treble than the LCD2 on my set up so I guess its not as dark. I find that I enjoy treble happy music more with it, an example would be Toundra II by Toundra (post rock and very high tuned guitar), where the guitars soar up very high. The LCD2 with these can sound both dull and surprisingly a bit unenjoyable compared to the HE-500. It can seem to lack the detail somewhat. The HE-500 both has a very smooth sound in this case and also delivers more sparkle. The T1 in comparison is too bright and fatiguing with albums like these.

Maybe saying it was more smooth should be refraised to I just prefer its treble balance and detail more than the LCD2 in these cases.

And when I mean treble happy, I mean just in the instrument tuning, not that they are brightly mastered poor albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back