Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #4,396 of 5,854
Quote:

Yeah I pretty much wear cans all day since I work from the home, I gotta take a break with the orthos but the HD800 is like wearing a hood almost, doesn't feel like anything substantial is on me head.

If I worked from home, I'd probably get the HD800 too! Right now, i have to split my hobby funds between home and the office. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #4,399 of 5,854
Yeah I pretty much wear cans all day since I work from the home, I gotta take a break with the orthos but the HD800 is like wearing a hood almost, doesn't feel like anything substantial is on me head.

I'm an old grizzled speaker guy, over 15 yrs I've had to many to count. So wearing headphones for hours was not something I relished. But the HD800s have broken me in, although I still get figgity with the cables. The one down side to the Moon Black Dragons, they are stiff and not comfortable. I'm about to spring for some new cables for the HD800s - the Stephan Audio Arts Endorphins, I'm hoping they are softer and more flexible. One trick I did find -wear a shirt with a collar, the wires stay better behaved when drapped on the outside of the collar folds.

I'm also going Planar - with my new speakers! Maggie 1.7s will soon be here. For when wifey is out shopping and I get to really crank it up!

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #4,400 of 5,854
Quote:
I'm an old grizzled speaker guy, over 15 yrs I've had to many to count. So wearing headphones for hours was not something I relished. But the HD800s have broken me in, although I still get figgity with the cables. The one down side to the Moon Black Dragons, they are stiff and not comfortable. I'm about to spring for some new cables for the HD800s - the Stephan Audio Arts Endorphins, I'm hoping they are softer and more flexible. One trick I did find -wear a shirt with a collar, the wires stay better behaved when drapped on the outside of the collar folds.

I'm also going Planar - with my new speakers! Maggie 1.7s will soon be here. For when wifey is out shopping and I get to really crank it up!

I have a weird issue since my amp stack(s) are usually to my right the cable tickles my nipple LOL. Take pics of the SAA's I've actually never seen them before :)

I like Martin Logan for my speakers, just easy to run, not horribly horribly expensive, and you can find them quite easily locally.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #4,401 of 5,854
David
I recently bought the Kingsound electrostatic HP and the Kingsound SS amp. My first foray into the electrostatic world. IF you do have some time, it would be great if you listened to this set up. I am listening to the Traveling Wilburys on them and did some quick comparisons with the LCD-3 and HE-500. This is mind-boggling to me but the Kingsounds sound quite a bit better than the other two HPs. There I just said it because part of me still refuses to believe this. Is it correct to presume the electrostatic will have better clarity, detail etc than the planars ?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,402 of 5,854
My SR007 MKIs amped via speakers taps and Woo Wee sound considerably better than my LCD-3s in most areas but in particular transparency, clarity and soundstage presentation. About the only area where the LCD-3s win is bass and by not a big margin. The LCD-3s sound like really great headphones, wheres the SR007 sound very natural and they dissapear. Big difference. I am at a loss trying understanding the respective positions in the chart. I am amping them using the same amplifier, so that provides for equal ground. The Woo Wee adds no coloration I can hear.

Also it must be said I am hearing lots of energy out the SR007s. I do agree they CAN sound somewhat laid back (in some configurations?), but here they don't.

Btw I am always volume matching the two via a dB meter positioned inside the cup on several fixed frequency sounds. For some weird enough reason with these particular two heapdhones based on ear listening alone I tend to have my SR007s less loud than the LCD-3s and think they're about the same.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #4,403 of 5,854
Quote:
I'm an old grizzled speaker guy.

My sentiments exactly-Speakers nice and loud.You cant beat it

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4,405 of 5,854
I have a weird issue since my amp stack(s) are usually to my right the cable tickles my nipple LOL. Take pics of the SAA's I've actually never seen them before :)

I like Martin Logan for my speakers, just easy to run, not horribly horribly expensive, and you can find them quite easily locally.

For me it's when the cables rub against my neck, drives me nuts.
The MLs have always been one of my favorites.

Check the website www.stephanaudioarts.com. They come in many flavors.
Unfortunately, I just went to order a pr and the website says they are 8-12 weeks behind in shipping! They must be doing something right!

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4,406 of 5,854
Quote:
Just like planar headphones the Maggies scale well with volume, and like a fair amount of juice. Too bad they never did a headphone, they had pefected this technology long ago.

Maggies are a bit different; they are true ribbon speakers while headphones of this design are planar magnetic. The diaphragm is different in a ribbon speaker.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #4,408 of 5,854
Maggies are a bit different; they are true ribbon speakers while headphones of this design are planar magnetic. The diaphragm is different in a ribbon speaker.

Yes, that is correct for some of the new models like the 1.7s. Actually, I found a great deal on a pr of 1.6qrs at Echo Hifi in Portland. Like new $825! These sold for $1900 new. This speaker uses a planar mid-bass driver and a quasi-ribbon tweeter. I owned the original Magnepans in 1979, in college! They were pure planar. There are some awesome mods for these - see the Magnestand mods review on Positive-Feedback. I will likely at least do the crossover mod.
How about Magnepan build a qr headphone! How cool would that be?

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #4,409 of 5,854
Quote:
Yes, that is correct for some of the new models like the 1.7s. Actually, I found a great deal on a pr of 1.6qrs at Echo Hifi in Portland. Like new $825! These sold for $1900 new. This speaker uses a planar mid-bass driver and a quasi-ribbon tweeter. I owned the original Magnepans in 1979, in college! They were pure planar. There are some awesome mods for these - see the Magnestand mods review on Positive-Feedback. I will likely at least do the crossover mod.

You could purchase a pair of these, find a way to suspend them over your head.....and find the highest wattage amp into 4 ohms you can get your hands on: 
size]

http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4,410 of 5,854
Quote:

I was just there a little over a month ago looking at some Magnepans. I ended up leaving with an HD800 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back