Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,366 of 5,854
Quote:
What about the DCS Vivaldi stack?

I just want to see how the Cirrus CS4398 in my Marantz SACD8004 fares. I see it as highly regarded in reviews (although some people have said it's a bit slow), but no idea where it is on the actual food chain. Sounds sexy to me though. I picked it over the Oppo 105 in a straight listening test. Also curious where the Bifrost would end up (supposedly is one of the best transparent DAC's for the money).

Sorry for the thread highjack. Random thoughts...

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #4,369 of 5,854
Quote:
Right. and this is why we need one of these threads for Amps and Dacs. 

And for aftermarket cables!!!!
L3000.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #4,370 of 5,854
I have a question to ask regarding the DT880 and AD900x/1000x!

I kind of bored of closed headphones and decided to try some open headphones. So far, I have only tested HD598 for open headphone but have experience with a lot of closed headphones and the ones I like are PSB M4U1 and AKG K550!

My question is, which one do you prefer if you can find both the DT880 and AD900x at the same price (US$313)? Kind of worried about the DT880 sibilants from what I have heard. & are the AD1000x worth the upgrade? Will be going for DT880 250Ohm with a solid amp but if I am going for AD900x/AD1000x, I won't be getting any amp, will just use it straight out of my iPhone 4, iPad 2 as well as my built in soundcard PC

Billson :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #4,371 of 5,854
Quote:
I have a question to ask regarding the DT880 and AD900x/1000x!

I kind of bored of closed headphones and decided to try some open headphones. So far, I have only tested HD598 for open headphone but have experience with a lot of closed headphones and the ones I like are PSB M4U1 and AKG K550!

My question is, which one do you prefer if you can find both the DT880 and AD900x at the same price (US$313)? Kind of worried about the DT880 sibilants from what I have heard. & are the AD1000x worth the upgrade? Will be going for DT880 250Ohm with a solid amp but if I am going for AD900x/AD1000x, I won't be getting any amp, will just use it straight out of my iPhone 4, iPad 2 as well as my built in soundcard PC

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

313$ ???
ATH-AD900X is available for 200$ on Ebay from Japanese sellers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-technica-AIR-dynamic-headphone-ATH-AD900X-/321149865117?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ac6060c9d

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4,375 of 5,854
Hello!

It's because most of the retail in Singapore sell it at that price (at least, from what I see).. So it seems like purchading ATH products there is not a smart choice :/

Will UK or Germany sell them cheaper at retail? Just in case I like the ATH AD series xD

Billson :)

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4,378 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi David.
Thanks again!!!!
In the end, rather than getting the he400's or the grados, I bought the lcd2s. Revision 1 though to my untrained ear I think will still sound fantastic.

The LCD-2 Rev. 1 is still a wonderful headphone:)

Quote:
Extraordinary review! A very enjoyable read. It helped me make up my mind on originally getting the HE500 (4 months ago) then later I got the LCD2 Rev 2. I have had fair number of cans on this in the past, though the LCD2 rev 2 has hit pure audio nirvana for me.

Thanks!!
Quote:
Just found this thread after reading tons of "appreciation" threads/posts and have realized that so many people essentially regurgitate, almost verbatim, what the OP has written, and then pass it off as an original thought.  Some of the posts are literally word for word, without quotations or reference to the OP.  This is why I don't read reviews for movies before I see them, easier to keep an open-mind that way and then you know that your critique is honest, unbiased or less biased, and truly your own thoughts and feelings.  Unfortunately I have no way to demo any headphones, so I have to rely on other people's reviews.  

But I digress, I wonder where the OP ranks the TH-900 value wise now that they have dropped down to $1500.  Really surprised he ranks them so poorly.  Would have guessed they would have at least been in the top 20, sound quality wise, based upon everything I have read.

I haven't seen others quote me verbatim, but thanks for noticing if they have:)  I like the TH-900 a lot.  I didn't view my ranking as a poor one, though I can understand based on the pricepoint, it can be viewed as such.

Quote:
wow great article
a lot of manhour of job put into this,though i guess  its been a fun ride
thansk alot ,epic thread

Thanks!!
Quote:

I think thats because the reviewer believes that HE-6, HD-800 performs better than the TH-900 (especially since he emphsizes the importance of neutrality often) so in that aspect to him, the TH-900 is a poor value since the previous two phones are several 100 dollars cheaper. Since they are 1500 like you said, i would guess that his take would be slightly different?

But even at 1500 its still more expensive than HE-6 and HD-800

Yes, maybe I should reform my value rating.  I will consider this!:)
Quote:

Yeah, the part in bold is the killer. I would love to have my own informed opinions on everything, but that is not financially feasible. I would love to hear the difference between a $40000 DAC and the one in my Marantz SACD8004.

My most important takeaway from this thread is that the HE-6, LCD-3 and HD800 are probably the big 3 non-electrostatic headphones still being made, while the SR-009 is the "big 1" still being made (at an insane premium compared to the other 3). Secondarily, there are a number of legitimate bang-for-the-buck headphones. For people that are new to the headphone scene, that is a good point of reference. Others like the DT-660 (a great personal purchase, based on this article, but is pretty much only good for classical), the Ultrasones (David is WAY too generous to the Edition 10, IMO) or all of the expensive out of production models (I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a headphone that can't be serviced anymore) are more likely just curiousities to most people, but are good and informative (and to me, largely unbiased*) reads nonetheless.

*okay, they are a LITTLE Sennheiser friendly, but he points out the bad in them too. I'm one of the veil-haters. I do see his point about IEM's vs headphones too.

That's an interesting point to take away.  I will be reforming some of the review on the HE-6, now owning the EF-6 as well.  But I definitely agree with this post, that is a very interesting thing one take away from my opinions.
Quote:

He's not the only one that does appreciate Ultrasone ed10. I read many reviews that descrive a very specialized headphone due to its extreme clarity but still enjoyable for many listeners ( I haven't heard to ed10 myself) 

About David's review. I was a bit cautious about this phenomenal work cause I didn't know how could be objective all thes reviews and rankings. David is experimented but still stays a simple human with his own tastes. 

Now I've owned or tried several headphones of this review (hd800 will soon be mine besides akg K501, senn hd580 , grado RS2 and Ultrasone Signature pro) and I really trust the entire work now. Indeed I havn't always the same opinion ( I think  AKG K501 & K701 worthes a better rank and sennheiser hd600/650 are a bit overrated  and I think Ultrasone SP definitely  deserves its own review instead of the old HFI-700 
biggrin.gif
 . I really dislike hifiman he400 too ) . Despite different opinions I always found David's reviews accurate , precise and well argumented.  

Many many thanks for this bible David :) 

Thanks for your comments:)
Quote:
A near $3000 headphone with recessed mids and "sounds best on low volume" just screams niche product to me. He gave it a C for value, which I felt was way too high, considering the ones that are ahead of it. Again, I would need to hear it to judge it, but I feel like the words don't agree with the placing/grade on that one. But again, nitpicking. Not a big deal.

Well, every headphone has their faults.  I thought the Edition 10 was very unique.  I hear what is not liked about it, but I personally feel it is very good in certain aspects.  Hopefully the Edition 12 is an improvement while keeping the things that were good (to me) about the 10.
Quote:
I wish there was a similar thread for amps. 

I do too! However, amp/headphone synergy is key.  It would be interesting to take the 10 best headphones and a variety of 10 top amps for each and do 100 part writeup explaining which amps and which headphones had the best synergy :) I feel fortunate to have had a few really good amps to compare.
Quote:
I must say I will strongly agree with you David, especially toward the HD800, phonitor and the AKGs.

You have done a significantly valuable work.
wink.gif

Thank you:)

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #4,379 of 5,854
I just want to see how the Cirrus CS4398 in my Marantz SACD8004 fares. I see it as highly regarded in reviews (although some people have said it's a bit slow), but no idea where it is on the actual food chain. Sounds sexy to me though. I picked it over the Oppo 105 in a straight listening test. Also curious where the Bifrost would end up (supposedly is one of the best transparent DAC's for the money).

Bifrost - supposedly one of the best transparent DACs 'for the money'. Dude it's a bit bright and forward. But good for $400. Not even in the same league as the MSB, APL NWO, or the DCS stack. Source is so important. If your source is muddled, bright, edgie, lacking depth and detail...what's your headphone going to sound like. Glad to see you took my advice on the Lyr though, it matches well with the HD800s. :) One of things I love about David's review...he's using one of best sources available.

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #4,380 of 5,854
Quote:
You can get a new basic STAX rig for less than $600 USD nowadays. It sounds better than many of the dynamic an planar magnetic headphones to me and you still don't go past $1000.

The basic stax is good but the amp feels really wimpy in that set. I used to own the 2050 system myself and felt like the amp was driving the cans without an edge to it. I would probably get at least the system with the 307 and the matching amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back