Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jun 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3,826 of 5,854
They must have used some magic to make an Audio Technica open air series have comparable bass to a large diaphragm player magnetic-- especially if it comes in after burn-in.  
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #3,827 of 5,854
Great article!

But I find that HD800 is perhaps lack some bass.

My system is ECC-1+spl phonitor+HD800.

After more than 300 hours listening, I think It is most suitable for classic music and jazz.But it is not suitable for pop.There is a little more sibilant.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #3,828 of 5,854
Awaiting eagerly for the LCD 2.2 update....

Any moment now....

We're all super spoiled here at head-fi to have David take so much time out of his personal life to write such a comprehensive review, thanks again David! 

beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #3,829 of 5,854
This thread is like running into the candy store! Some will have laser-lock attention on the cans used for this world-class evaluation. And completely overlook the emphasis he placed on his source.

You know the DAC, the one with the Inter-Gallactic Clock inside... yeah that one!
size]

Hmmm, I wonder. If he dismantles the system, will he keep the MBS or make it affordable to me?

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #3,830 of 5,854
anyone here think the t1's deserve to be in the top ten?

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,832 of 5,854
Quote:

Replacing what headphones? 
confused_face_2.gif

good answer. Was gonna say the grados but had a look again there and they are 11. my bad

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #3,834 of 5,854
What build problem does it fix? I've transitioned from the AD700 to AD900X and notice negligible build difference.

Well, the construction went from plastic to aluminum. The plastic dents very easily and the paint as well on the grilles. The grilles themselves are in better shape. Also, the driver housings are thicker and more rugged, with a bit easier access to the screws for modding. I removed the cloth discs to open the headphones a tiny bit more as well as make them look cooler, also, the foam discs are thick on the 700s, and very thin and precise on the 900s.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3,836 of 5,854
Quote:
anyone here think the t1's deserve to be in the top ten?

Quote:

Replacing what headphones? 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
good answer. Was gonna say the grados but had a look again there and they are 11. my bad

Only if the "Out of Production" and/or inaccessible headphones were removed form the list. Can they still be considered flagships of a company if they are not being produced anymore?  They may be great phones but maybe need to be put in the 'museum/historical' part of a review??  Just thinkin' out loud, UH...typing out loud??

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,837 of 5,854
Quote:

Only if the "Out of Production" and/or inaccessible headphones were removed form the list. Can they still be considered flagships of a company if they are not being produced anymore?  They may be great phones but maybe need to be put in the 'museum/historical' part of a review??  Just thinkin' out loud, UH...typing out loud??

I think I agree, I just mentally block out the phones that are no longer attainable without winning the lottery, of course 99.5% of David's source devices are out of my price range so....

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,838 of 5,854
Quote:

I think I agree, I just mentally block out the phones that are no longer attainable without winning the lottery, of course 99.5% of David's source devices are out of my price range so....

Wouldn't it be nice to have $40,000 USD to drop on a DAC?

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #3,839 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:
What build problem does it fix? I've transitioned from the AD700 to AD900X and notice negligible build difference.

Well, the construction went from plastic to aluminum. The plastic dents very easily and the paint as well on the grilles. The grilles themselves are in better shape. Also, the driver housings are thicker and more rugged, with a bit easier access to the screws for modding. I removed the cloth discs to open the headphones a tiny bit more as well as make them look cooler, also, the foam discs are thick on the 700s, and very thin and precise on the 900s.

I have the AD900x and wonder what other changes to the sound removing the grill cloth had besides slightly opening up the sound? Thanks

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,840 of 5,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back