Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
May 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,811 of 5,854
Quote:

I agree with this in general. He has, however, retired the HD650 from his wall of fame in favour of the slightly more neutral HD600s though...

Sennheiser HD 650 ($499)
Editors Note: This headphone was retired from the list when, after doing the official review, I found the less costly HD 600 to be slightly better sounding for me. The original text follows.

It may explain why he prefers the HE500s over the HE6s also??? Im sure he used a powerful enough amp for the HE6 to give it a fair assessment.

He used the Apex Pinnacle for all of the dynamics and orthos, which may not have enough power for the HE-6. I know that the Arete and the Peak do not do the HE-6 justice.

May 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,812 of 5,854
Quote:
Mad Dogs is pretty much less refined than paradox and it's much warmer. Technically paradox is just a step higher. Individual preferences is another story :)

I have emailed Paradox twice without any answers. I'm not ordering if they don't even care about their customers. I don't care how busy you need time to answer questions.

May 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3,813 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:
Mad Dogs is pretty much less refined than paradox and it's much warmer. Technically paradox is just a step higher. Individual preferences is another story :)

I have emailed Paradox twice without any answers. I'm not ordering if they don't even care about their customers. I don't care how busy you need time to answer questions.

Don't let that discourage you. LFF is a great guy.

May 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,814 of 5,854
rolleyes.gif
 Sometimes, this hobby requires patience... and understanding.

May 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #3,816 of 5,854
First of all really amazing article!
I enjoy it a lot!
Thanks for writing this one.

Quote:
Really great review! Thanks, David!

BTW, would you add Philips X1?

Yeah, I wanna know where the Philips X1 are among these as well.
popcorn.gif

Another question would be, given the AD900 an A+ rating. What about the Ad900x are they even better?

Thanks

May 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3,819 of 5,854
Quote:
Totally agree. a great reference 
beerchug.gif

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I've referenced back to this review several times since it came out. Comprehensive and detailed.  Thank you David.

Thank you! :)
Quote:
First of all really amazing article!
I enjoy it a lot!
Thanks for writing this one.

Yeah, I wanna know where the Philips X1 are among these as well.
popcorn.gif

Another question would be, given the AD900 an A+ rating. What about the Ad900x are they even better?

Thanks

Regarding the AD900. I'm not sure.  Haven't heard them, but I would expect them to be at least in the same performance level.

Quote:
Really great review! Thanks, David!

BTW, would you add Philips X1?

I probably won't be adding it unfortunately:frowning2:  I'm wrapping things up soon. 

My addition of the LCD-2 Rev 2 and the HE60 are really soon-coming.  Everything is almost coded....

May 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #3,820 of 5,854
So, months after reading this, I have finally purchased a pair of Audio-Technica AD900's. However, I didn't spend more than 200 dollars, heck, not even over 100 dollars! No, I paid a mere 75 dollars for this wonderful pair of headphones. Shutout to Headroom for hooking me up with these on eBay!

Having owned these for a little over a week now, I can say with confidence that these are up there with the Sennheiser HD600/50. I find the overall sound signature to be close to the AKG Q701, with a slight drop in bass. I found the Q701's bass to be tighter, and extend deeper than that of the AD900. However, the AD900 excells in every other category. Comfort, mids, treble, driveability, transparency, imaging and soundstage are all better on the AD900 when compared to the Q701.

I have never found a pair of AD900's for anywhere near the price I got mine for. With that being said, if you can find a pair between 100-150, pick them up. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for reading. -BiggBenn

And a P.S. to all current/previous AD700 owners, the AD900 fixes all of the sound and build problems from the AD700 and is in a different league than the AD700. Trust me, I own both.

May 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,821 of 5,854
So, months after reading this, I have finally purchased a pair of Audio-Technica AD900's. However, I didn't spend more than 200 dollars, heck, not even over 100 dollars! No, I paid a mere 75 dollars for this wonderful pair of headphones. Shutout to Headroom for hooking me up with these on eBay!

Having owned these for a little over a week now, I can say with confidence that these are up there with the Sennheiser HD600/50. I find the overall sound signature to be close to the AKG Q701, with a slight drop in bass. I found the Q701's bass to be tighter, and extend deeper than that of the AD900. However, the AD900 excells in every other category. Comfort, mids, treble, driveability, transparency, imaging and soundstage are all better on the AD900 when compared to the Q701.

I have never found a pair of AD900's for anywhere near the price I got mine for. With that being said, if you can find a pair between 100-150, pick them up. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for reading. -BiggBenn

And a P.S. to all current/previous AD700 owners, the AD900 fixes all of the sound and build problems from the AD700 and is in a different league than the AD700. Trust me, I own both.

What build problem does it fix? I've transitioned from the AD700 to AD900X and notice negligible build difference.

May 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #3,823 of 5,854
After reading your AT AD900 review, I got interested with the Audio Technica brand again. My previous experience with the brand is not a pleasant one, with the AT M50. Mainly because of the comfort issue and miniscule soundstage.
I currently using Hifiman HE400, and I absolutely loved it, except for the weight. I can't use it for long period time of music listening and gaming session.
Last week, I went to test their new AD900X and 1000x. With the 900x, I felt the sound is very clear and soundstage is very wide, but not enough bass qty.
Its when I tested the 1000x, I was completely blown by how fluid and clean the sound is, yet The bass qty is enough to satisfy me. Soundstage wise maybe a bit smaller compared to the 900x, but more than HE400. Comfort wise, no problem with the 3d wings. It just sit on my head perfectly and the weight is very light.
Now I was tempted to purchase the AT AD1000x for USD450 in Hongkong. My question is; is it worth it? 450 bux is a rather large investment for me, and my HE400 is not even a year old.
Anyone can help me here?

May 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,824 of 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawanwit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question would be, given the AD900 an A+ rating. What about the AD900x are they even better?

David rated HE-400 significantly above AD-900 in the "Order of Sound Quality" standings.
I own both HE-400 and AD-900X - AD-900X does everything as good or better.
It has a wider soundstage and is a lot more comfortable with the default velour pads.
You can buy velour pads for HE-400, but they are not nearly as comfortable.

If HE-400 are an A+ rating for value, AD-900X must be A+++ at half the cost.

May 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #3,825 of 5,854
Quote:
.. Last week, I went to test their new AD900X and 1000x. With the 900x, I felt the sound is very clear and soundstage is very wide, but not enough bass qty.

The bass comes in after the burn-in, and is comparable to the HE-400 bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back