Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
May 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,781 of 5,854
Quote:
I tried the Mad Dog and wasn't a big fan of its sound; too dark for my personal liking.

Me neither. They are really dark and need lots of time for the ears to get used to the sound. After listening to the MAd Dogs and then switching to something airier and brighter sounding (DT880, DT660, k501, k701) the whole new world of sounds opens up. I have a quite dark headphone (HD650) but the Mad Dogs are another story.

May 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #3,782 of 5,854
Mad Dogs is pretty much less refined than paradox and it's much warmer. Technically paradox is just a step higher. Individual preferences is another story :)

May 21, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,783 of 5,854
Quote:
Mad Dogs is pretty much less refined than paradox and it's much warmer. Technically paradox is just a step higher. Individual preferences is another story :)

Dang, you guys make me want to get a Paradox now.
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #3,785 of 5,854
I have just found an example of how subjective headphone opinions are. Tyl from inner fidelity (who I would call a hifi guru) would probably rate the ultrasone 10s a lot lower. He really disliked them a lot in his review

May 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #3,786 of 5,854
Quote:
Why no LCD 2 Rev 2?

It's definitely coming.  I would have thought it would be up by now, but I've been swamped with other things.  But I promise its coming! and soon
Quote:
David has been kind of busy, also he has actually finished his review,but is still doing

^This :)

Quote:
I have just found an example of how subjective headphone opinions are. Tyl from inner fidelity (who I would call a hifi guru) would probably rate the ultrasone 10s a lot lower. He really disliked them a lot in his review

Yes, he really did dislike them.  His video is classic!! I think of the Edition 10s as a very strange bird.  It's not an all-around great headphone.  It is very good as specific things though, and I think it has been hurt immensely by the asking price.  At this point, if I were Ultrasone upper-management, I'd be questioning the decision for that asking price.  I think it did hurt the overall reception more than people may be aware. It doesn't deserve an asking price of twice that of an HD800 more than the SR-007 or nearly 3 LCD-2s.  I feel it was a mistake, and one which should be noted for future decisions by all headphone companies.  There are other examples of mis-pricing, but the Edition 10 certainly is the one that stands out to me.  I think Tyll would not have liked it no matter what, because he just didn't find the signature to be pleasant, but when one considers the price, a sound signature which your ears cannot agree with, the headphone becomes unredeemable.

May 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3,787 of 5,854
Quote:
It's definitely coming.  I would have thought it would be up by now, but I've been swamped with other things.  But I promise its coming! and soon

Yes, he really did dislike them.  His video is classic!! I think of the Edition 10s as a very strange bird.  It's not an all-around great headphone.  It is very good as specific things though, and I think it has been hurt immensely by the asking price.  At this point, if I were Ultrasone upper-management, I'd be questioning the decision for that asking price.  I think it did hurt the overall reception more than people may be aware. It doesn't deserve an asking price of twice that of an HD800 more than the SR-007 or nearly 3 LCD-2s.  I feel it was a mistake, and one which should be noted for future decisions by all headphone companies.  There are other examples of mis-pricing, but the Edition 10 certainly is the one that stands out to me.  I think Tyll would not have liked it no matter what, because he just didn't find the signature to be pleasant, but when one considers the price, a sound signature which your ears cannot agree with, the headphone becomes unredeemable.

It's very apparent that Tyll likes a sound signature that is just south of neutral, with treble that is smooth but not emphasized. That tonality preference propagates very strongly through all his headphone reviews.

May 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,789 of 5,854
Quote:

I think what you run across is heightened (exaggerated) verbage. If I'm disappointed with a headphone, I might describe it as "garbage" which it probably is not. It's just an expression of my disappointment. I think the verbage heightens as the equipment becomes more esoteric but it exists on the opposite end of the spectrum too: "This $20 headphone sounds better than my friend's $1,000 pair!"

May 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #3,790 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:

It's very apparent that Tyll likes a sound signature that is just south of neutral, with treble that is smooth but not emphasized. That tonality preference propagates very strongly through all his headphone reviews.

You're right.  That's why, for my own use, I don't give a lot of credence to Tyll's review.  I weary of filtering out his biases.

May 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3,791 of 5,854
Quote:
You're right.  That's why, for my own use, I don't give a lot of credence to Tyll's review.  I weary of filtering out his biases.

I kind of agree... I am a big fan of his measurements and use them all the time to explore and get at least a basic idea about different headphones (or amps now). But in the end, I simply must agree with people arguing about what amplification he uses in order to make measurements (which can lead to a bit misleading graphs with certain difficult-to-drive headphones), and also find his preference in darker headphones to be a bit problematic since "That tonality preference propagates very strongly through all his headphone reviews." as jerg said.

May 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #3,792 of 5,854
Right, his headphone graphs are one kind of datapoint, and his opinions about the sound of those headphones are another. The former is objective and the latter is subjective (and of course biased as all subjective opinions are).

His subjective opinions should have objective value in their relationship to one another, as any collection of opinions by a single reviewer would have. But that value is also subjective, to be evaluated by the consumer of these reviews.

May 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #3,793 of 5,854
Quote:

I agree with this in general. He has, however, retired the HD650 from his wall of fame in favour of the slightly more neutral HD600s though...

Sennheiser HD 650 ($499)
Editors Note: This headphone was retired from the list when, after doing the official review, I found the less costly HD 600 to be slightly better sounding for me. The original text follows.

It may explain why he prefers the HE500s over the HE6s also??? Im sure he used a powerful enough amp for the HE6 to give it a fair assessment.

May 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3,794 of 5,854
Quote:

Yes the video is a classic! Im sure you had the same reaction with the W5000s (that I personally love soo much!)

I totally agree with the pricing comment too. Seriously, Ethiopian leather, etc...? A little bit gimmick like... Not so sure about this S-Logic thing too. I have the HFI 780s with S-Logic.. 
Nothing overly "wow" or unique about the headphone sound and imaging/soundstage.

May 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3,795 of 5,854
While im back on the "beloved" (not) W5000s, I have decided that my initial impressions were somewhat skewed by the music I was listening to. I know concur with some of Dave's assessment of the headphones. They can be nasal. However, still find these headphones to be very good with neutral amps (like the audio-gd nfb 27) with 'dull' string music such as classic guitar that has nylon strings for higher notes.

They also sound excellent with many modern recordings of violin concertos and flamenco/latin music. 

The frequency response graph for these headphones are a little unorthodox...very bass shy and not soo neutral elsewhere.

Either way, I love these headphones for specific applications. They can also work well with hard rock music that has been recorded with the often used  'U' shaped equalisation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back