Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Apr 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3,421 of 5,854
Quote:
David your work/review/shootout is indirectly featured in this video!
tongue.gif

Hey! That's pretty cool!! Thanks for showing me:)

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #3,423 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi
Does everyone change the pads on their HE-500's? Or at least recommend to?.....and to which ones, if they do?

Thanks

I use Beyer DT880/990 pads on my HE-500. I attached them using the plastic mounting ring from the pleather pads. They are the most comfortable pads I've seen on any headphone. Treble is even better with these than with the stock velours. I had some problems with sibilance at first but I found that covering the holes in the plastic mounting ring with some electrical tape calmed it right down.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3,424 of 5,854
i still use the pleathers on mine. the velour does provide a cleaner and brighter sound, but loses some bass and smoothness in the highs.

to me, the velours sounded similar to my T1, but not as good, so i never use them 
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #3,425 of 5,854
Yep I also prefer the pleathers.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,426 of 5,854
Hey David!
Did you already get a chance to listen to the JVC DX1000 as I asked 3 month ago? :)
Ever listened to a Grado HF-2? Some prefere them over the GS1000.

I wonder if you have a recommendation for me. I sold my HE-400 because I enjoy my modded T50rp more, but now I'm looking for an upgrade. As I really like ortho headphones I wanted to ask if you take the HE-500 as a serious upgrade? Or should I save my money and get a HE-6 or HD800?

Hope you understand my question :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,427 of 5,854
Quote:
Hey David!
Did you already get a chance to listen to the JVC DX1000 as I asked 3 month ago? :)
Ever listened to a Grado HF-2? Some prefere them over the GS1000.

I wonder if you have a recommendation for me. I sold my HE-400 because I enjoy my modded T50rp more, but now I'm looking for an upgrade. As I really like ortho headphones I wanted to ask if you take the HE-500 as a serious upgrade? Or should I save my money and get a HE-6 or HD800?

Hope you understand my question :)

I haven't heard the DX1000 to this day.  The HF-2 is perhaps similar to the PS500 based on other accounts.  I prefer the PS500 more than the GS1000.  

The HE-500 is a very different sound from the HE-400, specifically in its tonality.  The Tonality of the HE-500 is more fluid to my ears, more natural overall.  I think if you will be amping the HE-6 properly it is better, but very often the HE-500 is worth due to its less demanding nature.  If you like the Ortho sound, stick with a Hifiman or Audeze.  You may also like the Fostex TH900 which has a very fluid sound.  The HD800 is a great headphone, but it will be very different from ever headphone you mention (even not having heard the DX1000 and HF-2) I can deduce from my knowledge, that the HD800 is markedly different.  I could get into specifics, but I'd just probably be repeating what I say in the review itself.  :)

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #3,428 of 5,854
I love using headphones to add aural treats in mixes and seeing there's a whole world of people that love listening on phones, its a good move.

Nothing better than reading a review by someone with a passion for what they do. Good work kind sir.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3,430 of 5,854
A headphone's ranking for me depends what amp I am using. With my old Headroom Max, the TH900 is far and away the best on that amp, with solid bass, lots of ambiance, and lots of life, along with full textures, whereas Grados can be harsh, Audezes can be dull, and HD800s can be piercing.
But with my Pinnacle, the HD800 is awesome in all those areas, and the Audezes have great texture and are very much alive.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #3,431 of 5,854
Quote:
A headphone's ranking for me depends what amp I am using. With my old Headroom Max, the TH900 is far and away the best on that amp, with solid bass, lots of ambiance, and lots of life, along with full textures, whereas Grados can be harsh, Audezes can be dull, and HD800s can be piercing.
But with my Pinnacle, the HD800 is awesome in all those areas, and the Audezes have great texture and are very much alive.

Interesting to hear that different amps change sound that much for you. My amps never changed sound signature that much to my ears. Audezes probably would have less treble than Grados or HD800s on any amp. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #3,432 of 5,854
Hi David, just a quick question. I had a pair of HE 500's and found them very refined but a bit too laid back and boring & also lacking in bass impact. I'm thinking about buying a pair of LCD 2's but I need to be sure they have strong bass impact & presence and that instruments, especially drums, have weight to their sound. Also, are the LCD 2's engaging and fun in comparison to the HE 500's? What is your opinion?

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #3,433 of 5,854
Quote:

Interesting to hear that different amps change sound that much for you. My amps never changed sound signature that much to my ears. Audezes probably would have less treble than Grados or HD800s on any amp. 

Headphone amplifiers cannot change the headphones... They only amplify the signal and while they can do it in a bit different way, be of different nature and from the technical point of view synergy differently with various headphones, they simply cannot transform your headphones into something else.

There is a lot of exaggeration here on head-fi... I mean A LOT.

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3,435 of 5,854
Quote:

Headphone amplifiers cannot change the headphones... They only amplify the signal and while they can do it in a bit different way, be of different nature and from the technical point of view synergy differently with various headphones, they simply cannot transform your headphones into something else.

There is a lot of exaggeration here on head-fi... I mean A LOT.

There is a lot of exaggeration but an amplifier can indeed change your headphones a lot. One year ago I tested LCD2 and HD800 on Burson HA-160DS and loved the lcd2, and actually did not think twice when choosing the audeze over hd800. Well.. when I heard HD800 on conductor i was blown away, and I got a pair of HD800 too, and now i am not sure which i like more yet, but the HD800 gets more and more headtime. 

The lcd2 really improved with conductor too, less than HD800 but still a big one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back