Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,091 of 5,854
Quote:

Well I certainly am. Breaking his legs over the kerb will be just the start of it. Trust me, he has no idea.

biggrin.gif

haha :D

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #3,092 of 5,854
David, I have to say I spent a few hours going through your entire review. It's rare to find anything this comprehensive anywhere else for any line of products on internet forums. Wish there was something like this for laptops/sports cars/watches etc. It would make life very easy. lol I'm grateful you posted this on the internet! 

I'm new to this world, and was hoping to make the correct purchasing decision for myself right from the get go without sampling these headphones. I've spent over 10 hours reading through online forums and reviews trying to figure what it is that I am looking for and I've it narrowed down (I think) to three sets. I was hoping maybe you could chime in (and others on this forum) and help me make a decision. I don't know anyone who would be more qualified than the forum members here to help me out.

These are the three I'm thinking of and the amount I can buy them for: Sennheiser HD650 ($350)(sounds like I need to buy an amp), HD598 ($225)(can avoid getting an amp), and HifiMan HE-400 ($375)(can avoid getting an amp).

This is why I think these would be suited to me, and how I got here:
I have NEVER owned a pair of high end headphones. The best I owned were a pair of $50 Sennheisers about three years ago that I didn't think were that great at all. My goal is to own a single pair of headphones that I keep for 20+ years that I can always turn to when I'm looking to have the best listening experience to my music. I am very far from an audiophile but I've been to high end audio stores in Toronto (mainly BayBloor radio), and found that my ears can pick up differences from high end systems quite well. The salesperson who I spoke to for about two hours was impressed at how quickly I could discern the differences between the systems in the showroom considering I don't have any prior knowledge of sound. 

These are characteristics I value in sound most when I listen to music: sound that feels like it fills the whole room, warm full-bodied sound, punchy bass, low end frequencies that fill the room, pronounced treble, coloured sound with an emphasis on highs and lows, as well as clarity. I really dislike "thin" sound (I'm assuming AKG falls in this category from the reading I've done).

I listen to alternative/classic/modern rock, hip hop, and some pop (all high quality sound sources). I will also be using these for extended periods of time with my racing simulator rig for Gran Turismo 5 --lots of tire screeching, and low end engine sounds in the game. 

These are my goals:
With the above noted, what would you recommended to me, a person that has no experience with high end sound, that is planning to keep headphones for 20+ years for listening to those music genres over my iphone, macbook pro, a sony receiver, and sony HX TV (for gran turismo 5)? I would like to avoid buying an amp if possible, but if I do, I would purchase a Fiio E10(or something similar in that price range). I dislike the look of the HD598s (colour of it), and I feel that the Hifiman headphones are cheap looking. Comfort is important as well --I hear the Hifiman are not as good in that department. 

What do you think is the correct choice for me? I would consider an amp as well if it was highly recommended but I would like to keep costs under $500 in total. Do you think there is another headphone that would work well for me that I did not include in the list above? 

Thank you!! I look forward to the responses!

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,093 of 5,854
Quote:

What do you think is the correct choice for me? I would consider an amp as well if it was highly recommended but I would like to keep costs under $500 in total. Do you think there is another headphone that would work well for me that I did not include in the list above? 

As a Hifiman fanboy, you should consider getting the HE-400 and the E17 amp. I'm not too sure how the HD650 will do with a $150 amp/DAC because I don't own it, but I hear it needs quite a bit of amping. The Mad Dog T50rp with the new pads are really popular right now for just $300 too.

Also, I want to point out that the HE-400 doesn't look too cheap in person. Its heft and good build quality give it an expensive feel. The blue color of the can is darker than shown in most pictures because of flash photography, which also makes it look a little less cheap.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,094 of 5,854
Quote:

i agree that the hifimans really sound good with hip hop and pop, especially with "warm full bodied sound"
if you live in toronto, visit headfoneshop as they have hifimans there- they're in downtown too
so BBR has the sennheisers and headfoneshop has hifimans to try out
headfoneshop also has ultrasones, beyers and others if you're interested too

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3,095 of 5,854
Quote:

You might find this thread helpful to you.  It relates to the 650.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3,096 of 5,854
Quote:
As a Hifiman fanboy, you should consider getting the HE-400 and the E17 amp. I'm not too sure how the HD650 will do with a $150 amp/DAC because I don't own it, but I hear it needs quite a bit of amping. The Mad Dog T50rp with the new pads are really popular right now for just $300 too.

Also, I want to point out that the HE-400 doesn't look too cheap in person. Its heft and good build quality give it an expensive feel. The blue color of the can is darker than shown in most pictures because of flash photography, which also makes it look a little less cheap.

I guess I need to check them out in person. I guess they just have a boring 1980s look to them that I'm not sure I agree with. They look like a $30 pair of headphones from Radioshack, IMO, but that's just from looking at pictures.

Quote:
i agree that the hifimans really sound good with hip hop and pop, especially with "warm full bodied sound"
if you live in toronto, visit headfoneshop as they have hifimans there- they're in downtown too

Thanks!! I've never heard of it. I guess I can try these headphones out in person.

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail

Thanks, I'm hoping to avoid paying too much for an amplifier, but sounds like I would appreciate what it does for sound. I just want the headphones to have the capability of being really loud if I want them to be.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,097 of 5,854
Quote:
David, I have to say I spent a few hours going through your entire review. It's rare to find anything this comprehensive anywhere else for any line of products on internet forums. Wish there was something like this for laptops/sports cars/watches etc. It would make life very easy. lol I'm grateful you posted this on the internet! 

I'm new to this world, and was hoping to make the correct purchasing decision for myself right from the get go without sampling these headphones. I've spent over 10 hours reading through online forums and reviews trying to figure what it is that I am looking for and I've it narrowed down (I think) to three sets. I was hoping maybe you could chime in (and others on this forum) and help me make a decision. I don't know anyone who would be more qualified than the forum members here to help me out.

These are the three I'm thinking of and the amount I can buy them for: Sennheiser HD650 ($350)(sounds like I need to buy an amp), HD598 ($225)(can avoid getting an amp), and HifiMan HE-400 ($375)(can avoid getting an amp).

This is why I think these would be suited to me, and how I got here:
I have NEVER owned a pair of high end headphones. The best I owned were a pair of $50 Sennheisers about three years ago that I didn't think were that great at all. My goal is to own a single pair of headphones that I keep for 20+ years that I can always turn to when I'm looking to have the best listening experience to my music. I am very far from an audiophile but I've been to high end audio stores in Toronto (mainly BayBloor radio), and found that my ears can pick up differences from high end systems quite well. The salesperson who I spoke to for about two hours was impressed at how quickly I could discern the differences between the systems in the showroom considering I don't have any prior knowledge of sound. 

These are characteristics I value in sound most when I listen to music: sound that feels like it fills the whole room, warm full-bodied sound, punchy bass, low end frequencies that fill the room, pronounced treble, coloured sound with an emphasis on highs and lows, as well as clarity. I really dislike "thin" sound (I'm assuming AKG falls in this category from the reading I've done).

I listen to alternative/classic/modern rock, hip hop, and some pop (all high quality sound sources). I will also be using these for extended periods of time with my racing simulator rig for Gran Turismo 5 --lots of tire screeching, and low end engine sounds in the game. 

These are my goals:
With the above noted, what would you recommended to me, a person that has no experience with high end sound, that is planning to keep headphones for 20+ years for listening to those music genres over my iphone, macbook pro, a sony receiver, and sony HX TV (for gran turismo 5)? I would like to avoid buying an amp if possible, but if I do, I would purchase a Fiio E10(or something similar in that price range). I dislike the look of the HD598s (colour of it), and I feel that the Hifiman headphones are cheap looking. Comfort is important as well --I hear the Hifiman are not as good in that department. 

Thanks for the kind words!
I bolded the section which I am specifically responding to:

I think your best bet would be either the HD600/HD650 with amp.  If I planned to have only ONE headphone at my disposal, I would not pick the HE400.  I may pick the HE500 if you could spring for that plus amp.  But I think it's a no brainer for me to suggest that a moderately priced amp plus the HD600 makes for an excellent all-around choice for many years of listening.  It adheres to the sonic character you're looking for.  I would pick the HD600 (not the 650) as my singular headphone.  The HD650 is a warmer, lusher headphone, but it may not be as good a single reference.  I prefer the HD650 for what it does, but only in conjunction with other headphones.  If I could only have one headphone at my disposal and I had a price point of $500, the HD600 would be it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,098 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I need to check them out in person. I guess they just have a boring 1980s look to them that I'm not sure I agree with. They look like a $30 pair of headphones from Radioshack, IMO, but that's just from looking at pictures.

Quote:

Thanks!! I've never heard of it. I guess I can try these headphones out in person.

Quote:

Thanks, I'm hoping to avoid paying too much for an amplifier, but sounds like I would appreciate what it does for sound. I just want the headphones to have the capability of being really loud if I want them to be.

$249 plus shipping.  Drives my HE-4's just fine, as in, really loud.  Said to have great synergy with the Senns.
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,099 of 5,854
It is really nice to see the quick responses to the OPs request.  This type of response represents the best of Head Fi as far as I am concerned. This is what keeps me coming back to Head Fi as well as posts such as Davids which are a truly amazing gift to this wonderful hobby.  Many thanks David for your marvelous contribution.  I read the entire post when you first contributed it and continue to monitor on a daily basis.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3,100 of 5,854
Quote:

I think your best bet would be either the HD600/HD650 with amp.  If I planned to have only ONE headphone at my disposal, I would not pick the HE400.  I may pick the HE500 if you could spring for that plus amp.  But I think it's a no brainer for me to suggest that a moderately priced amp plus the HD600 makes for an excellent all-around choice for many years of listening.  It adheres to the sonic character you're looking for.  I would pick the HD600 (not the 650) as my singular headphone.  The HD650 is a warmer, lusher headphone, but it may not be as good a single reference.  I prefer the HD650 for what it does, but only in conjunction with other headphones.  If I could only have one headphone at my disposal and I had a price point of $500, the HD600 would be it.

Untill you try the Mad Dogs (alpha pads)
wink_face.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3,103 of 5,854
Quote:

Thanks for the great advice, looks like I will pursue the Sennheisers. I'm going to visit a store that sells them. I went to a shop today and was really surprised by the Grado PS500, btw. I tried a number of headphones including an HD598 and HE400 but the Grados really stood out --I like the sound they make. They sounded great to me, however the treble was so powerful that it was almost silly and too distracting to listen to music. Anything else you would suggest based on my discovery?

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3,104 of 5,854
Quote:
It is really nice to see the quick responses to the OPs request.  This type of response represents the best of Head Fi as far as I am concerned. This is what keeps me coming back to Head Fi as well as posts such as Davids which are a truly amazing gift to this wonderful hobby.  Many thanks David for your marvelous contribution.  I read the entire post when you first contributed it and continue to monitor on a daily basis.

thanks!!!
Quote:

Thanks for the great advice, looks like I will pursue the Sennheisers. I'm going to visit a store that sells them. I went to a shop today and was really surprised by the Grado PS500, btw. I tried a number of headphones including an HD598 and HE400 but the Grados really stood out --I like the sound they make. They sounded great to me, however the treble was so powerful that it was almost silly and too distracting to listen to music. Anything else you would suggest based on my discovery?

the HE400 is closer sonically to the the PS1000 than the HD600, so you may prefer them:) 

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #3,105 of 5,854
Quote:

+1 for headfoneshop, great service and always better to try on headphones for real before ordering over internet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back