Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #3,076 of 5,854
Quote:
David you are very talented indeed. I somewhat liked Chains and I'm drum & bass fan. 

as a side note: I really liked Vivaldi's the four seasons too. Could someone recommend me something similar? 
wink.gif

thank you:)

try the bach works as others have said, and handel works.  id also venture to say Rameau is an equal of Handel.

If you enjoy the melodic appeal of vivaldi, try a bit of mozart or schubert as well.  A good starting point for mozart is his 20th piano concerto (try Uchida's or Brendel's version)

For Schubert you're already venturing into a more colorful harmonic pallet and it really shares nothing with vivaldi, but you may enjoy it because of its melodic sense, try the trout quintet.

Quote:
Awesome review!! I'd love to see the reviewers impressions of the Koss ESP-950.  

id love to add these some day! and thanks!
Quote:
More Vivaldi, of course!
biggrin.gif
  His L'estro Armonico with Fabio Biondi's group Europa Galante is a winner.  The J.S. Bach Orchestral Suites (try Tafelmusic from Canada) and Brandenburg Concertos are masterpieces, too.  Great stuff.

tafelmusik is the ensemble i always return to, particularly in the brandenburgs.  can be had for cheap right now too.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #3,078 of 5,854
I am really glad to see Beyerdynamic DT660 among the headphones that have made it to David's list. I am also glad to see they are highly regarded by David for classical music. I also think they really shine with classical pieces and acoustic jazz. The sound is amazingly open for a pair of closed-back headphones. Beautiful midrange, The headphone is easily driven by portable devices and computers. My problem is that my son, 12 years old classical pianist, after hearing my DT660 took them from me saying that they "sound like hearing real musicians playing in a real concert hall" and he just kept them
beyersmile.png
. So I can rarely use them now
confused.gif
. Vivaldi and Bach sound great with DT660 by the way.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3,080 of 5,854
Quote:
I am really glad to see Beyerdynamic DT660 among the headphones that have made it to David's list. I am also glad to see they are highly regarded by David for classical music. I also think they really shine with classical pieces and acoustic jazz. The sound is amazingly open for a pair of closed-back headphones. Beautiful midrange, The headphone is easily driven by portable devices and computers. My problem is that my son, 12 years old classical pianist, after hearing my DT660 took them from me saying that they "sound like hearing real musicians playing in a real concert hall" and he just kept them
beyersmile.png
. So I can rarely use them now
confused.gif
. Vivaldi and Bach sound great with DT660 by the way.

Good to hear, I got them as a present for my father. I'll see how they play classical music myself too.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #3,085 of 5,854
Quote:
Finally, after read this thread over and over, I decided to bought HE400. And it's an excellent buying. Thanks David.

This thread's gonna be a fenomenal :)

Do you already own an amp to pair them with? Cant skimp that..

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3,086 of 5,854
Hey David,
I hope you will add the RE-400/600 in the future.

So much praise its crazy. Gonna get me a pair tomorrow :)

So HE-6 at home and RE-400 when traveling :D

Iguess I am sold on Hifiman 
size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,088 of 5,854
Quote:
I was thinking about adding the RE400. I got a pair very recently but haven't yet spent much time with. Like you, I noticed the praise:)

+1 Take your time David. Nobody is going to maim you for taking your time :]
I will most likely be adding impressions to my review, along with other stuff in the future :]
No way I am stealing your spotlight though. I'd never even intend to :p Your review can eat mine for breakfast :D I focused solely on one HP though 

I encourage you to read it should you be interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650912/hifiman-he-6-ultimate-review-write-up-3-2-13-updated-comfort-pads-and-sound-lows-mids-vocals-expanded

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,089 of 5,854
Quote:

Unless you're dead set on getting an aftermarket cable, there's nothing special about the cabling on the Mad Dog.  It ships with the stock Fostex cable and V-Moda cable that 3.5mm to 3.5mm for use with portable devices or smaller amps like the O2.  I've had zero issues.  Now, if you want to used a balanced amplifier, then you'd have to get it recabled, and that's a job I would not suggest doing yourself.  Moon-Audio is a good option if you need it wired for balanced use.  

What is balanced use? and the advantages.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back