Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #1,096 of 5,854
My favourite is also the HE-90 (i do not own
confused_face.gif
)
But if anyone needs a christmas-present...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300803280434?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D300803280434%26_rdc%3D1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300814105569?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D300814105569%26_rdc%3D1

Sennheiser might bring a follower for the HE-90 in about 2 years - maybe cheaper
L3000.gif
(price is unknown - one modell man can buy, one modell with unlimited pricepoint)

AKG will NOT bring a follower of the K1000 (confirmed)

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,097 of 5,854
Quote:
Thank you

I prefer the Westone 4 over all.  Though the PFE 232 has more customization available to it and ultimately a bit more detail (when using the gray filters).  The Westone 4 has more warmth, but is not a dark earphone.  

yes I agree with you, Westone 4 is better than PFE 232 for long time listening :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #1,099 of 5,854
I thought that I will never read the equivalent of Darthnut's legendary review. I am glad to be proven wrong. What he did for depth of review, you matched with width. Thank you for the incredible dedication and generosity!

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #1,100 of 5,854
My wallet is very worried thanks to threads like this one.  It's not long ago that I declared myself a 'mid-fi' guy who would never want to spend megabucks, and now I'm seriously considering a 3,000 EUR rig (LCD-2 or HE-500, Violectric V200 and V800).  What's even more worrying is that thanks to all the people here who spend way more than I ever could, I no longer consider that to be a lavish setup!  

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #1,101 of 5,854
*Clap Clap Clap*

That was epic. Even though my headphone journey ended a while ago, I still read the whole thing. Thank you for all the hard work and sharing so openly with everyone. 

There are many things I agree with in your reviews, although overall I find that my taste is closer to Tyll's. Generally, I find that you're maybe a bit too forgiving of excessive bass and treble. Common peaks around 10KHz doesn't seem to bother you as much, as well as the common mid-bass hump around 125Hz. For me, they mess too much with the clarity of instruments like double-bass in jazz, or the naturalness of cymbals.

I'm curious about something: I don't know if this has been asked already, but is performing as a musician and being an audio engineering your full-time job? As a fellow audio/music guy (composer, songwriter), we all know that music doesn't pay that well unless you are extremely famous at what you do (be it as a performer, creator, or engineer). Or are you independently wealthy (stocks, real estate, inheritance)? All that gear costs a mind-boggling amount of money, and if this question haven't been asked, I'm sure many are wondering the same thing. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,102 of 5,854
Quote:
I thought that I will never read the equivalent of Darthnut's legendary review. I am glad to be proven wrong. What he did for depth of review, you matched with width. Thank you for the incredible dedication and generosity!

I never saw Darthnut's review.  But thank you!
Quote:
My wallet is very worried thanks to threads like this one.  It's not long ago that I declared myself a 'mid-fi' guy who would never want to spend megabucks, and now I'm seriously considering a 3,000 EUR rig (LCD-2 or HE-500, Violectric V200 and V800).  What's even more worrying is that thanks to all the people here who spend way more than I ever could, I no longer consider that to be a lavish setup!  

Remember, you don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy the music.  I sincerely believe that a lot of what drove me to go this far was this review.  It meant a lot to me to contribute the review itself.  I'm doubtful that the majority of my personal listening time will involve more than a dozen headphones.
Quote:
*Clap Clap Clap*

That was epic. Even though my headphone journey ended a while ago, I still read the whole thing. Thank you for all the hard work and sharing so openly with everyone. 

There are many things I agree with in your reviews, although overall I find that my taste is closer to Tyll's. Generally, I find that you're maybe a bit too forgiving of excessive bass and treble. Common peaks around 10KHz doesn't seem to bother you as much, as well as the common mid-bass hump around 125Hz. For me, they mess too much with the clarity of instruments like double-bass in jazz, or the naturalness of cymbals.

I'm curious about something: I don't know if this has been asked already, but is performing as a musician and being an audio engineering your full-time job? As a fellow audio/music guy (composer, songwriter), we all know that music doesn't pay that well unless you are extremely famous at what you do (be it as a performer, creator, or engineer). Or are you independently wealthy (stocks, real estate, inheritance)? All that gear costs a mind-boggling amount of money, and if this question haven't been asked, I'm sure many are wondering the same thing. 

a lot of people have asked about the $ thing:)  I answered it vaguely early on in the thread, but I'll reiterate here in more detail...

In the early 2000s I did a lot of session work with a lot of established artists.  I was more involved on the performance side than the engineering side, but I do both.  About 5 years ago, I found that I started to experience some issues with my hand and I started to do less performance and more engineering.  Presently, I am the head reviewer at headphones.com and I do engineering on the side.  I'm working on an album of original material, but that's not intended to go anywhere:D

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,105 of 5,854
Nov 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,107 of 5,854
Quote:
tl;dr
is this a downloadable document? or are things added on as time goes by?

it will be expanding.  there's a tl;dr section btw http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-50-headphones-compared#user_TLDR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back