Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #826 of 5,854
Quote:

Agree. If that is the current measurement of Paradox, these are definitely the best closed phones in their price category from what I have seen so far...

Unfortunately, I am very sensitive to treble (e.g. IMHO D7000 are clearly bright-sounding phones, painful to my ears quite sometimes even though they are rather dark according to many headfiers (David also does not mention anything wrong about their treble) and measurements which show no emphasised treble in comparison to many other phones. Therefore only cans like Audeze or HD650 can impress me enough =/

I find the D7000 extremely painful too despite its elevated bass. There is a sharp resonance at 8-9kHz of a pair that I measured. Some people are sensitive to this. Others are not. I also have reason to believe there is some unit-to-unit variation with the D7000 in terms of treble behavior.

I can assure you that the Paradox does not exhibit this behavior, otherwise I would have personally slain LFF with my light saber.

D7000 decay shows "ringing" or resonance in the treble.

Paradox decay is much smoother and even.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #828 of 5,854
Quote:
Is this turning in the mother of all threads? Maybe it should be a site by itself (on headroom?).

do you mean headphones.com?  I made this review specifically for the head-fi community:)  started it long before I became an industry insider.  Many of the headphones are out of production anyway.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #829 of 5,854
Quote:

I find the D7000 extremely painful too despite its elevated bass. There is a sharp resonance at 8-9kHz of a pair that I measured. Some people are sensitive to this. Others are not. I also have reason to believe there is some unit-to-unit variation with the D7000 in terms of treble behavior.

I can assure you that the Paradox does not exhibit this behavior, otherwise I would have personally slain LFF with my light saber.

D7000 decay shows "ringing" or resonance in the treble.

Paradox decay is much smoother and even.

If you have a look at D7000 vs D7000 2012 measurement (innerfidelity), there are differences for sure... And not only in treble, mids are close-to-neutral or even bass is improved. Most probably those factors could be a cause of different opinions among head-fiers. Also, some people are sensitive and some are less in terms of treble.

I am glad to see those measurements... Paradox seem to be a very nice pair of headphones. Still not for me (do not need anything else than LCD-2 rev2 for serious listening really) but I do very appreciate they are available on the market! I am adding Paradox to a very small group of headphones I find personally interesting!

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #830 of 5,854
Quote:
do you mean headphones.com?  I made this review specifically for the head-fi community:)  started it long before I became an industry insider.  Many of the headphones are out of production anyway.

Is it any possible for you to listen to Audeze LCD-2 rev2 and at least add a note to your review of Rev1? I think it may help many people as rev2 have angled connectors, revised headband and pads, improved treble and even better detail according to Audeze...

For me, it does not matter really but I don't think it's fair to compare only rev1 to the others as you, for example, have heard more than one pair of both HD800 or HE-6 (the most serious competitors to LCD-2!). I think LCD-2 deserves it... :)

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #831 of 5,854
Quote:

If you have a look at D7000 vs D7000 2012 measurement (innerfidelity), there are differences for sure... And not only in treble, mids are close-to-neutral or even bass is improved. Most probably those factors could be a cause of different opinions among head-fiers. Also, some people are sensitive and some are less in terms of treble.

I am glad to see those measurements... Paradox seem to be a very nice pair of headphones. Still not for me (do not need anything else than LCD-2 rev2 for serious listening really) but I do very appreciate they are available on the market! I am adding Paradox to a very small group of headphones I find personally interesting!

Check it out - Post #126

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633956/the-t50rp-paradox-review-mini-tour-impressions/126

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #832 of 5,854
Quote:

Check it out - Post #126

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633956/the-t50rp-paradox-review-mini-tour-impressions/126

Yes, I have read this right today, thanks for posting! :)

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #834 of 5,854
Quote:

Is it any possible for you to listen to Audeze LCD-2 rev2 and at least add a note to your review of Rev1? I think it may help many people as rev2 have angled connectors, revised headband and pads, improved treble and even better detail according to Audeze...

For me, it does not matter really but I don't think it's fair to compare only rev1 to the others as you, for example, have heard more than one pair of both HD800 or HE-6 (the most serious competitors to LCD-2!). I think LCD-2 deserves it... :)

It's something I would consider, though its right now not at the forefront of my list.  Definitely, would consider it though!

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #835 of 5,854
Hey, I finally made it to the end of the thread. It only took me a week. Anyway, David, props to you for such a massive effort. It's one thing for someone to have such a huge collection of worthy headphones; it's another thing to have the skill to be able to distinguish between them in an authoritative way. 

Anyway, my primary question has to do with usefulness for everything from sound design/synthesis to composition/arranging to mixing to mastering (or pre-mastering at least). I have some monitors (Events) that need to be replaced, and until I do so, I have been using headphones for most of the above tasks. Right now, I mostly alternate between the DT880 and the LCD-2.2, depending on what I am doing, and whether I want to check on highs or lows, etc.From reading your reviews, if I wanted to use one general reference hp, it looks like it would point to the HD800. Am I correct in this? I had also considered that the HD600 would be good in this regard. Can you give a short list of what you consider good headphones for these purposes?  Thanks much.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #836 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks for putting this together.  It will probably sadden you to know that you have similar taste in headphones (at least the ones with which I am familiar) as a 60 year old!

Well, I'm 66 and my taste in headphones is nothing like David's as it's clear he favours rather bright--to my taste--phones. So where does that leave us? (Incidentally, knowing that doesn't make his comments any less useful to me. So long as I know it and can make adjustments, they remain very relevant).

Quote:
Really? But most 60 year olds have bad hearing aids.lolz..so they wont be using sennheiser,hifiman, audeze, stax or even beyerdynamic and the sorts..as they would sit right in front of full size loudspeakers on full power...hahaha
biggrin.gif

I must admit I have tinnitus, but it isn't sufficient to stop me currently enjoying both LCD-2 (Rev1) and HE-500. I don't know how old you are, but 60 odd often seems very old until you are 60 odd, and then it seems not really old at all. Just wait, you'll find out. 
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #837 of 5,854
Quote:
Hey, I finally made it to the end of the thread. It only took me a week. Anyway, David, props to you for such a massive effort. It's one thing for someone to have such a huge collection of worthy headphones; it's another thing to have the skill to be able to distinguish between them in an authoritative way. 

Anyway, my primary question has to do with usefulness for everything from sound design/synthesis to composition/arranging to mixing to mastering (or pre-mastering at least). I have some monitors (Events) that need to be replaced, and until I do so, I have been using headphones for most of the above tasks. Right now, I mostly alternate between the DT880 and the LCD-2.2, depending on what I am doing, and whether I want to check on highs or lows, etc.From reading your reviews, if I wanted to use one general reference hp, it looks like it would point to the HD800. Am I correct in this? I had also considered that the HD600 would be good in this regard. Can you give a short list of what you consider good headphones for these purposes?  Thanks much.

Yes, I think the HD800 is a very good choice for that sort of application.  The HD600 is a bit more forgiving and that's not a good thing perhaps for this type of application.  

For professional monitoring:  HD800 is definitely at the top for me. The DT880 is a very good choice.  The K701 is very good once you become familiar with its sound signature.  I would stay away from the HD600 and HD650 because it's slightly lush presentation will affect the way in which you mix.  One thing to consider is, if you can get your mix to sound good on an K701 and then something like an apple bud and then a Beats headphone (and of course basic speakers like laptop or car speakers).... if it can sound good enough on all those, you're pretty much set.  

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #838 of 5,854
Quote:

Well, I'm 66 and my taste in headphones is nothing like David's as it's clear he favours rather bright--to my taste--phones. So where does that leave us? (Incidentally, knowing that doesn't make his comments any less useful to me. So long as I know it and can make adjustments, they remain very relevant).

There's a lot of speculation that my ear prefers a brighter sound than the norm.  I know in this instance you personalize it rather than saying in general.  I appreciate that! :)

I think it's worth saying that I like different sound signatures for different reasons.  The Orpheus (my favorite headphone) is not a headphone which I'd imagine most people would hear as bright.

I think it's worth saying here that it is probable that more listeners prefer a bit of warmth in their sound.  I've come to this conclusion over time observing comments and criticisms.  It also make sense that warmth (not just bass) is associated with emotion in music.  It make sense to me that when I proclaim something like the HD800 as being neutral (a headphone which CAN sound bright - but can also sound warm) some people may walk away with the impression that I favor a bright sound.  It's not true, but I understand where and for what reason this assessment of my preferences originates.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #839 of 5,854
Quote:
There's a lot of speculation that my ear prefers a brighter sound than the norm.  I know in this instance you personalize it rather than saying in general.  I appreciate that! :)

I think it's worth saying that I like different sound signatures for different reasons.  The Orpheus (my favorite headphone) is not a headphone which I'd imagine most people would hear as bright.

I think it's worth saying here that it is probable that more listeners prefer a bit of warmth in their sound.  I've come to this conclusion over time observing comments and criticisms.  It also make sense that warmth (not just bass) is associated with emotion in music.  It make sense to me that when I proclaim something like the HD800 as being neutral (a headphone which CAN sound bright - but can also sound warm) some people may walk away with the impression that I favor a bright sound.  It's not true, but I understand where and for what reason this assessment of my preferences originates.

x2. One just learns to ignore after a while. These people don't know what they're talking about.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #840 of 5,854
Oh my goodness. Just dropped by to thank you for this incredible write-up. Super detailed and well done. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back