Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #513 of 5,854
Thanks David. An impressive battle to say the least. I guess my, and many others', wallets will shrink quite a bit for the time to come.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #514 of 5,854
Can't say that i've ever spent my time better on this website than reading your article!  Just awesome.  My daughter would wreck $20,000 worth of headphones if i had that shelf in my house lol...real fast if i took my eyes off her for a split second.

Real quick, if i could ask of you, what would rate the euphonics of the hi-fiman 500,600 and t-1?  maybe a rating of 1 to 10 with the sony r-10 being a 10.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #515 of 5,854
Quote:
Can't say that i've ever spent my time better on this website than reading your article!  Just awesome.  My daughter would wreck $20,000 worth of headphones if i had that shelf in my house lol...real fast if i took my eyes off her for a split second.

Real quick, if i could ask of you, what would rate the euphonics of the hi-fiman 500,600 and t-1?  maybe a rating of 1 to 10 with the sony r-10 being a 10.

Thank you:)

I'm reluctant to use a number system on these headphones, but I will say that, to me, none of them are what i would call an ultra "euphonious" headphone.  The HE-6, being that the sound feels very real (almost acoustical) when played loudly, I would say in its own way this is analogous to euphonic sound, although euphonics has more to do with pleasant distortions.  The T1 is probably the least euphonic of the 3.  But again, I don't relate the sound signatures of those three headphones to "euphonic"

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #516 of 5,854
Awesome reviews David. Thank you so much. There's not a lot of members that couldn't pull this off, but you seem to have the respect of everyone. I personally read the reviews as being totally unbiased, and you called it the way you heard it. With the MSB Diamond DAC IV at the heart of the system (I made sure I got it right this time), I'm sure it brings out the best of all your headphones. Congratulations!!!

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #519 of 5,854
Quote:
Thank you!

I'll make a list of all the headphones that I'd ultimately would like to include in order to make evaluation list even more complete.  At this time, I'm taking a break both from the writing and the spending:)  But I'd ultimately like to include the following headphones/earphones

Audio Technica: L3000
Beyerdynamic: DT990
Denon: AH-D7100
Grado: PS1
Grado: PS500
HifiMan: HE400
JVC: DX1000
Sennheiser: HE60 (Baby Orpheus)
Sony: CD3000
Stax: Sigma Pro
Taket H2+

Maybe also a few other in-ears as well....I used to own quite a few etymotics, other UE's and Sonys...

The problem is, within the next 5 years, i suspect there will be between 10-20 worthy addition new contenders and as such.... the project will never end:)

Edit: also the Koss ESP950

HE-400 HE-400 HE-400 HE-400 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #520 of 5,854
Quote:
Thank you:)

I'm reluctant to use a number system on these headphones, but I will say that, to me, none of them are what i would call an ultra "euphonious" headphone.  The HE-6, being that the sound feels very real (almost acoustical) when played loudly, I would say in its own way this is analogous to euphonic sound, although euphonics has more to do with pleasant distortions.  The T1 is probably the least euphonic of the 3.  But again, I don't relate the sound signatures of those three headphones to "euphonic"

What I wanna know, before I think about earning a living so i could pay for hobbies like such in the level on par or closer to yours, is: euphonic or truthful? truth or beauty? Is there any headphone that reveals truth and beauty equally well, if not both extremely superior?

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #521 of 5,854
Quote:
Epic OP!

Can you make a PDF version of the review? It's so hard to read on HF due to formatting.

a few people have asked me for this.  This may be something I do in the future (maybe even near future) but as I do plan on adding more, I haven't yet done so.
Quote:
Where can I get a high resolution version of the picture quoted above?

I am uploading it, but it seems to be taking like an hour LOL.  I'll post a link soon :)

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #524 of 5,854
I must say it is a pleasure to see my DT 880 in the top 3 for value, I spent about a month researching before coming to the conclusion it was the best value based on what I was willing to spend.  I only went with 250ohm but it can't be that big of a difference as I've read in several reviews.  If I ever decide to upgrade further I will know where to come looking for more information.  Although, based on where you've ranked it, I may just be satisfied with these for a long long time. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #525 of 5,854
Quote:
David, amazing work! Can you elaborate a bit on your thoughts between the PFE-232 vs. the Westone 4? Those are the top two many consider for a universal IEM. Thanks!

Thank you

I prefer the Westone 4 over all.  Though the PFE 232 has more customization available to it and ultimately a bit more detail (when using the gray filters).  The Westone 4 has more warmth, but is not a dark earphone.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back