Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 2, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #286 of 5,854
David, this is the best review I've read in my entire life! You really gifted this community, as you could sell this stuff as ebook and earn a lot of money! :)
If i was Sennheiser I would hire you today: keep up the good work!

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #289 of 5,854
Well I 'm quite happy my HD650's are in here! Woohoo!

Absolutely amazing review!

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #290 of 5,854
It's time for me to save for HD600.
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #292 of 5,854
Obligatory POWER FOR THE HE-6 comment... 

IMO, HE-6 should be ranked a lot farther up the chain. I think it definitely edges the HD800 in basically every category, soncially.  It definitely needs more current than a WA5. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #294 of 5,854
Wow. Amazing reviews, amazing read.

I don't think it's possible to express exactly how amazed I am. The entire community is extremely grateful for all your contributions. You're on another level. :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #296 of 5,854
Obligatory POWER FOR THE HE-6 comment... 

IMO, HE-6 should be ranked a lot farther up the chain. I think it definitely edges the HD800 in basically every category, soncially.  It definitely needs more current than a WA5. 

The WA5 puts out 16 watts into 60 ohms from the K1000 port (rated at 8 watts into 120 ohms). I would really like to hear this combo (especially with upgraded tubes), that's about twice what my speaker amp puts out.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #298 of 5,854
Quote:

Thanks! :)

If price were not a consideration, I'd want either of the top 2 on my list.  There's something very compelling about the HD600 though because while its pricy by the normal standards, if it ever should fail or get nicked, dented, dinged... its not nearly as heart breaking.  Even the Koss Porta Pros are quite a value all their own.  

I also feel that a good in-ear is a totally separate commodity.  Because I feel it performs amazingly out of an ipod and gives off the best isolation, I'd probably go for the ES5.  But if I were to bring an amp into the equation, I'd probably go for the JH Audios.  The JH13 in particular is mindblowing.  I think the UE10 is a slightly different sound that has just slightly more forward mids than the JH13, but less sparkle.  I would like to find out if the JH10 is exactly the same design as the UE10 used to be.

Anyway.... I think a great selection of headphones would be something comparatively neutral like an HD600 or an HE6 or an HD800
Then something closed back and a little thicker sounding maybe... like a TH900 or D7000
and then a good in-ear.  If you're going the universal route, I would consider any of the top 3 Westones as they each excel in different areas, but I do think the Westone 4 is the best overall.

I hope this sorta answers your question. haha.  But I would want to have the Orpheus over all other headphones probably or the SR009 or the R10s..... the top 4 on my list :)

I hope your review will not drive the Orpheus's price higher!
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #299 of 5,854
Which amps do you prefer most paired with the HD800? I guess you have had the chance to test them also with gear that is not listed in the review (since you only included gear you actually own here) over the time especially since it seems to be on you enjoy quite a bit.

I also own the HD800 and really like them and think about upgrading to a really good amp (something around 5k range) in 1-2 years, so I'm trying to collect some input. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back