Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Feb 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5,536 of 5,854
I received my Philips Fidelio X2 and I'm not finding female vocals as engaging and moving as I like,..I want to feel goosebumps :D

Is it because the mids are not intimate or I like them more forward in the mix?  I do love the bass, smooth/non-sibilant highs, and soundstage.

Any recommendations on headphones that I may like more in the same price bracket?

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #5,537 of 5,854
I have not listen to X2, but tried X1 several times and i feel they where Way to colored.
HD650 are much better and presentation the Sound as it is, maybe thats why alot of producer and radio host tend to use Them, but they May not give a Wow affect as they dont color the sound as Philips.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #5,538 of 5,854
  I received my Philips Fidelio X2 and I'm not finding female vocals as engaging and moving as I like,..I want to feel goosebumps :D

Is it because the mids are not intimate or I like them more forward in the mix?  I do love the bass, smooth/non-sibilant highs, and soundstage.

Any recommendations on headphones that I may like more in the same price bracket?

The HD650... albeit a bit more expensive. I've not heard the X2 either but the sound profile seems to match.

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #5,539 of 5,854
Just got myself a HD600...
I cant believe how good these are...
Im not kidding, I was trying to get something like a stax 2170 or even perhaps a HD800, but the tonality on these is just insane.
Its not that they are perfect, its just that I dont feel like I want more of anything :D.

Im not sure I will need to search for anything better. (who are we kidding, I will).

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #5,540 of 5,854
Im not kidding, I was trying to get something like a stax 2170 or even perhaps a HD800, but the tonality on these is just insane.
Its not that they are perfect, its just that I dont feel like I want more of anything :D.

Im not sure I will need to search for anything better. (who are we kidding, I will).

Yes you will, but at least it is going to take a while this way and your wallet will have some time to recover. So count your blessings...

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #5,541 of 5,854

If you stop reading this site and limit your headphone thinking to the time listening to music you`ll be fine without anything else.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5,542 of 5,854
I've tried the hd600, 650 and 800, all driven by amps that supposedly drive them well, and I have to say I like them in that order. I never figure out why people like the 800 so much. I just can't appreciate them much ...

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #5,543 of 5,854
  Yes you will, but at least it is going to take a while this way and your wallet will have some time to recover. So count your blessings...

I know what you mean, I know I want a low end stax to test electrostats, but the thing is that I tried and LCD-2, LCD-3 and LCD-X and I still favour the HD600.

No idea why that would be the case (apart from comfort ofc), but for me the HD600 is more accurate in tonality than LCD-2, and that was my favorite audeze.

Im sure this taste can change, and maybe Ill even get an LCD-2 later on, but Im surprised that a HP at this price is this good. (and to be honest there is nothing that wowed me on the HD600, everything just sounds fine, but fine at the same level, making it very consistent).

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #5,544 of 5,854
  I know what you mean, I know I want a low end stax to test electrostats, 

Why not take a vacation to Japan and try out the best electrostats?
Or simpler still, go to a headfi meet.

bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #5,545 of 5,854
Still sticking with my HD800 and LCD-X for now.  They cover all music genres and do it well.

Upgrades to the current rig would be the HD800S and LCD-4.  I'm at the point of diminishing marginal returns.  

FWIW, friends.
RCB

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #5,546 of 5,854

Why not take a vacation to Japan and try out the best electrostats?
Or simpler still, go to a headfi meet.

bigsmile_face.gif

Cus I live in Poland And I cant afford it :D.
Also, I know of no head-fi meets in Poland.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #5,548 of 5,854
It would be nice if DavidMahler could ever do an evaluation and ranking of the Abyss, AKG K812, Audeze LCD-4, Beyerdynamic T-1 generation 2, Hifiman HE-1000, and Edition X, Sennheiser HD800 S, etc.,and see where they would rank among those he tested in this review.
Dream on..:p

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,549 of 5,854
Personally, I would like to read David's impressions of the Ether / EtherC, the HEK, LCD-X and a comparison of the HD800/HD800S.  IMO those are the driving questions about the new cans, since his reviews ended.  Just IMO, as always.

Miss you, David.
RCB

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #5,550 of 5,854
Wow. What a review !!
Thanks David for amazing reviews. I do have question btw.
Did you tried sony mdr z7 or wrote a review? It is currently my fav can and likes to know your thought on z7.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back