Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5,056 of 5,854

Honestly, I would just save your money longer and buy a used/sale HD800. I don't think the $500-$1000 price range is a good place to be in terms of performance. You're way above the HD6x0/DTXXX/K7XX price range, but getting very close to the HD800/LCD2/etc. range. You might as well go right for a flagship.

I hear you and I don't disagree. I don't mean to brag but I was able to get the HD 700 (Brand new) from Amazon.com $483 shipped + tax. And thus a little conflicted. I am playing it non-stop with different genres and may end up keeping the HD 700 + Shure SRH1540 combo. I'll get a chance at AXPONA next month to test out many more headphones in case I like something better :) 

Let the headphone games begin...

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #5,057 of 5,854
The SR-009 at $3000 is excellent.  It doesn't sell for that new as far as I'm aware so I wouldn't give it a value rating based on that.  How you power it will have a great effect on the sound also.  It's still $3000 + amp.  Still a great headphone, and yes the value would go up based on the price drop.

At this very moment, the SR-009 is available brand new for $2,873 (plus shipping) from PriceJapan.

I hear you and I don't disagree. I don't mean to brag but I was able to get the HD 700 (Brand new) from Amazon.com $483 shipped + tax. And thus a little conflicted. I am playing it non-stop with different genres and may end up keeping the HD 700 + Shure SRH1540 combo. I'll get a chance at AXPONA next month to test out many more headphones in case I like something better :) 

Let the headphone games begin...

I got mine privately "like new" for more than you got yours brand new. O_O

How did you get it that cheap?! The lowest new price I see on Amazon is barely under $700.

I'm buying an HE-500 later this week as well. Wonder if I should pursue a trade for an EL-8 Open-Back or even HD 800 with what resources I have.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,058 of 5,854

At this very moment, the SR-009 is available brand new for $2,873 (plus shipping) from PriceJapan.

I got mine privately "like new" for more than you got yours brand new. O_O

How did you get it that cheap?! The lowest new price I see on Amazon is barely under $700.

I'm buying an HE-500 later this week as well. Wonder if I should pursue a trade for an EL-8 Open-Back or even HD 800 with what resources I have.

Well. Amazon.de had it for $492 shipped. I tried to use my Amazon Store Card overseas and there was no option to be able to do that. Called Amazon cust service to see how we can do that (helps me increase my credit limit the more I use it and pay it off). Any way I was being bounced around between Amazon cust service - store card cust serv - bank cust serv - amazon.de - back to amazon.com

Eventually the rep asked what it was I was trying to buy and if .com had it. I said it's this pair of headphones been sitting in my cart for weeks. She said here, normally we'd never do this but I'll price match it to .de and also give you a $ off for every minute of bouncing around between diff cust service reps. $492 - $50. Have a good evening.

I said: sold!

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #5,059 of 5,854
  Well. Amazon.de had it for $492 shipped. I tried to use my Amazon Store Card overseas and there was no option to be able to do that. Called Amazon cust service to see how we can do that (helps me increase my credit limit the more I use it and pay it off). Any way I was being bounced around between Amazon cust service - store card cust serv - bank cust serv - amazon.de - back to amazon.com

Eventually the rep asked what it was I was trying to buy and if .com had it. I said it's this pair of headphones been sitting in my cart for weeks. She said here, normally we'd never do this but I'll price match it to .de and also give you a $ off for every minute of bouncing around between diff cust service reps. $492 - $50. Have a good evening.

I said: sold!

eek.gif

I've had some luck as well, but nothing as interesting as that!

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #5,060 of 5,854
I misread the post...I thought he was saying he got the SR-009 for around $500.
blink.gif

I was in a similar position. I heard the HD-700 in a hifi shop and I generally liked it in a small audition. Then I started thinking might as well go up the ladder a bit and got the HD800 instead. It's been a love-hate relationship, but I think it has helped me be more critical of my listening chain, specifically the DAC/source and line noise.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,061 of 5,854
I just wanted to post here that I'm selling my Orpheus / Aristaeus combo.  I will be leaving it open to head-fiers for about 3-4 weeks before I post it on ebay.

My asking price is $22500.  It's in excellent condition, plus I have several new earpads and headbands to keep it in new condition for several years/decades. 

Please PM me if interested.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #5,062 of 5,854
  I just wanted to post here that I'm selling my Orpheus / Aristaeus combo.  I will be leaving it open to head-fiers for about 3-4 weeks before I post it on ebay.

My asking price is $22500.  It's in excellent condition, plus I have several new earpads and headbands to keep it in new condition for several years/decades. 

Please PM me if interested.

You should keep it just until you get the HE-1000 and do one last comparison! :p

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #5,063 of 5,854
Mar 31, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #5,065 of 5,854
  I would really have loved to have included the HE-1000. It looks stunning.  Unfortunately I don't have the funds to put further into this project and I barely have the time.  I still have my core equipment although I've sold about a third of what's in this roundup.

You should keep it just until you get the HE-1000 and do one last comparison! :p

If David does the comparison and something worthy comes along later, some might ask for another final comparison. One after another.

yes!!! that wld be really coool

I third that motion.

@DavidMahler: Did you post impressions/comparisons of the Abyss AB-1266 anywhere in the past?

Can we just let him go? Imho, I think he did more than enough for all of us.  I'm sorry to say this but I love coming back here and reading his reviews and other stuff but getting sick of people asking for more.  

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,066 of 5,854
  If David does the comparison and something worthy comes along later, some might ask for another final comparison. One after another.

Can we just let him go? Imho, I think he did more than enough for all of us.  I'm sorry to say this but I love coming back here and reading his reviews and other stuff but getting sick of people asking for more.  

If he doesn't want to compare any more new headphones, that's perfectly fine with me. I can always do it myself eventually.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #5,068 of 5,854
Are you gonna make an offer for David's Orpheus? Thought you were thinking about it.

I actually tracked down a few Orpheus owners for interest check purposes. The lowest offer I got for the HE 90 headphones (without HEV 90 amp) was $10,000. That's still pretty steep, but something I would be willing to buy in a year or three. The HeadAmp Aristaeus does seem to be the ideal amp for it, unless I can commission a DIY T2, which would probably be another $10K.
ph34r.gif

Nowhere near that point now. I'm barely on the verge of high-end headphones (HD 700, HE-500) at the moment.

I'm impressed you knew that about me, because I don't recall talking to you before. (Then again, you probably just saw my post in his sale thread about it. His price is non-negotiable, so that's too rich for even my future self's blood. haha)

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #5,070 of 5,854
  I don't talk much here but have been stalking you for few years now. So lock your doors when you get orpheus. lol 

hahaha lol
normal_smile .gif

I noticed that the DT 880 was ranked higher in the battleship, er, battle of the flagships comparison...but I like the HD 700 much more than the DT 880. Still not close to endgame for me, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back