Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Aug 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #4,937 of 5,854
I'd be interested to see the T5p reviewed here.  It's a match to the T1 and is tied in their minds to the T1 as a flagship.  I have to say that I prefer it to the Alpha Dog and every other closed headphone I've tried.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think a closed headphone can do what an open one can, but when you need closed, you need closed.  I have a T5p that was just modified to HD 800 connectors I could send for reviews if necessary.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,938 of 5,854
What about HE-400i and HE-560?

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #4,939 of 5,854
I'd be interested to see the T5p reviewed here.  It's a match to the T1 and is tied in their minds to the T1 as a flagship.  I have to say that I prefer it to the Alpha Dog and every other closed headphone I've tried.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think a closed headphone can do what an open one can, but when you need closed, you need closed.  I have a T5p that was just modified to HD 800 connectors I could send for reviews if necessary.

What about HE-400i and HE-560?

Please stop!!!!!! Read before you write/request anything here.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #4,940 of 5,854
Please stop!!!!!! Read before you write/request anything here.

Huh? Could you please be more specific before screaming (6 exclamation points, really?) at people who are being polite? Perhaps we missed something in this very very long thread, but at least in my case I searched the thread for the headphones I was requesting and I didn't see why they shouldn't be included. The T5p is tied with the T1 as a Beyerdynamic flagship and I'm just offering mine for a test.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #4,941 of 5,854
The topic creator's health and relationship suffered while he was making the initial review, and since then he's stopped and sold off a bit of his collection.  I don't think he'll be adding anything to this review anytime soon-- if at all.

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4,942 of 5,854
  The topic creator's health and relationship suffered while he was making the initial review, and since then he's stopped and sold off a bit of his collection.  I don't think he'll be adding anything to this review anytime soon-- if at all.

triportsad.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4,943 of 5,854
That's quite sad. I know the reviews are personal, but I wonder if there's a way to keep the database alive. I suppose because it is subjective there isn't a way to do this reasonably. Thanks for the note.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #4,944 of 5,854
That's quite sad. I know the reviews are personal, but I wonder if there's a way to keep the database alive. I suppose because it is subjective there isn't a way to do this reasonably. Thanks for the note.

I completely agree with this, seeing that the last revision was a couple years back and a lot of new cans are introduced to the market since then. The thing I most appreciate about this review is how detailed they are compiled including the value assessment since I am just into this 'hobby'. I hope that David is well and I cannot thank him enough for compiling this list. Cheers

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #4,946 of 5,854
  I agree this work is just out of this world - A great reference for everybody who frequents Head Fi, for insights into headphones and their strengths and weaknesses..Fantastic !!!

An epic review, I can't say I've ever seen a more comprehensive review of HP's anywhere.

It's been knocked around, heavy hitters like Skylab would be ideal, will it ever happen, who knows.
Obviously a lot of great HP's out since the original review 2 years ago.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #4,947 of 5,854
I just wanted to thank David for this outstanding work - to be honest I have never seen a better review when comparing various high end headphones.(In fact, I´ve found only one article resembling such an amazing insight - by Michael Piskor http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/ - a similarly conceived work, however, not as comprehensive)
This is truly a fantastic guide for every headphone enthusiast. A whole book could be written based on your unique experiences !
 I hope this thread will somehow continue and new high end models will be added to the mix. 

I wish you all the best David ! Many thanks !

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #4,948 of 5,854
Where would the oppo PM1 and PM2 stand in this list?

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4,949 of 5,854
  Where would the oppo PM1 and PM2 stand in this list?

it seems like the general vibe is that they are not as resolving/detailed as other flagships and do not have as good of sound stage, but they have a very pleasant smooth sound that is nice to listen to. so it just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4,950 of 5,854
Hopefully DavidMahler or another user does an updated version (or an entirely new version) of this list. With the recent new flagships that have made a splash, it would be amazing if something like this was done every year (and that's asking a lot, I know 
tongue.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back