Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 7, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #5,206 of 5,854
  STAX has been discussed every once in awhile in this thread. Just wanted to mention that I recently got an entry-level STAX system that (to my ears) sounds much more realistic than everything else I have heard, regardless of price. (Pretty crazy that I got it in a trade for some of my CDs!) Very excited to upgrade to better STAX. Just not sure whether I should go for the SR-207 first or straight for the SR-009.

Can you tell me what amp where you using with the 207?
I want to get the 207 but unsure if I should get the SRS-3170 so I can get the better amp (as far as I know the 307 and 207 are basically identical in sound).

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #5,207 of 5,854
Funny thing, I never really liked my 307. Too bright, but honestly I'm not sure why I didn't... Preferred my LS and sigma

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #5,208 of 5,854
  Can you tell me what amp where you using with the 207?
I want to get the 207 but unsure if I should get the SRS-3170 so I can get the better amp (as far as I know the 307 and 207 are basically identical in sound).

Who said I got the 207?
biggrin.gif

(Read my signature and profile.)

I actually started a thread looking for opinions on whether I should get the 207 first or just upgrade directly to the SR-009.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773718/is-it-better-to-upgrade-directly-to-the-stax-sr-009-or-get-the-sr-207-first

Pretty much everyone thinks I should just go straight to the top. haha

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #5,210 of 5,854
  Does anyone know what brand/the name is for the wooden headphone rest he used in most of his pictures on this thread?

In the epilogue, he mentions:

The six headphones in the display section of my cabinet sit on the following stands: from left to right: Stax HPS-2; Edition 10 Stand; Stax HPS-2; Woo Audio HPS-R Silver; Qualia Stand; Sieveking Sound Omega Headphone Stand in zebrano wood.

The one used for most of the photos is the Sieveking Sound Omega.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #5,211 of 5,854

Who said I got the 207?
biggrin.gif

(Read my signature and profile.)

I actually started a thread looking for opinions on whether I should get the 207 first or just upgrade directly to the SR-009.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773718/is-it-better-to-upgrade-directly-to-the-stax-sr-009-or-get-the-sr-207-first

Pretty much everyone thinks I should just go straight to the top. haha

Not sure about that (going straight to the top).
I have the HE-400 modded and I have been looking for an improvement for a while now, and still have not found a significant one.
In fact, the reason I look at the Stax is because the 560, lcd-3 , lcd-x only seem slightly better than the he-400, and cost A LOT more.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #5,212 of 5,854
i own the basic stax model  i can assure you that they are more transparent less darker than the he 400 ..... I like the he 400 not modded  but the stax are on another level for clarity less boomy bass but more detailed bass...I was in the same park than you... i want to upgrade really not a sidegrade with the he 400.. i look now for reviews of the ether.....the hek is to much money.......
I have the HE-400 modded and I have been looking for an improvement for a while now, and still have not found a significant one.
In fact, the reason I look at the Stax is because the 560, lcd-3 , lcd-x only seem slightly better than the he-400, and cost A LOT more.

atsmile.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #5,213 of 5,854

If the modern STAX is anything like (or in all likelihood, better than) the STAX I have, it will be a significant improvement. Although the flagships do a few things better, the overall sound of even my low-end STAX is just so much more realistic to me.

And yeah, I thought the HE1000 was only slightly better than the HE400i.

i own the basic stax model  i can assure you that they are more transparent less darker than the he 400 ..... I like the he 400 not modded  but the stax are on another level for clarity less boomy bass but more detailed bass...I was in the same park than you... i want to upgrade really not a sidegrade with the he 400.. i look now for reviews of the ether.....the hek is to much money.......
atsmile.gif

I'm curious to try the ETHER as well. The HE1000 was great, but not something I would buy anytime soon, due to how it lacked clarity, realism, and energy for me.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #5,214 of 5,854

If the modern STAX is anything like (or in all likelihood, better than) the STAX I have, it will be a significant improvement. Although the flagships do a few things better, the overall sound of even my low-end STAX is just so much more realistic to me.

And yeah, I thought the HE1000 was only slightly better than the HE400i.

I'm curious to try the ETHER as well. The HE1000 was great, but not something I would buy anytime soon, due to how it lacked clarity, realism, and energy for me.

you have compared the he 400i and the he1000 ? i am very curious  can you detail more ?

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #5,215 of 5,854
  you have compared the he 400i and the he1000 ? i am very curious  can you detail more ?

I used to own the HE400i and auditioned the HE1000 on a MOON Neo 430HA for a few hours with my own test tracks. (Most genres of music.) I would describe them both as slightly warm, lush, and subdued. That's slightly, so the overall sound signature isn't necessarily any of those things. The HE1000 has a more encompassing soundstage and sounds noticeably prettier. It did have some occasionally annoying treble peaks as well. I don't recall the HE400i having this issue, but it could have. I did not compare them directly. They are both very good headphones that sound good with all music and would be ideal for many people, but they weren't realistic enough for me personally.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #5,216 of 5,854
It kinda makes sense that the HE-1000 would be simply an improvement over something like the higher end hifimans. After all, its the same technology, the same sound signature house.
The HE-400 are for sure not perfect, in fact in some cases they have a distortion I can clearly point out now, but they are no way near as low end as some of the other headphones I used over the years.

When I jumped from a sennheiser HD380 Pro ro the HE-400 I thought I just found a portal to another dimension (Wish this would happen in other parts of my life as well, you know).
But when I was listening to the HE-560, I was simply thinking: Id like to test some other things with this, to see if it still does more things better or if its just my imagination that im hearing things better.

Thats an insanely huge gap in performance improvement. 

I dont expect the stax to be that sort of a jump, but Id expect it to get me something that would open my view on music and games again (especially games, I will never understand how gamers can use weak audio gear, its just 5 times more realistic to have awesome sound).

I actually like dark headphones, but I cant say that the HE-400 is dark. In most cases it will be but it has some peaks in the treble that can make it rather annoying (in fact I eq'd my PC to get a little smoother treble for it).
That being said, there is no point in buying a HP that is "like the one I have", so if the stax is Neutral (thats actually what I search for now).
However, if its actually bright, It might not be for me.
I like to listen to games and music at loud volumes sometimes (one song per day at most, rest at lower volumes).
I cant specify in dB, but I consider loud anything that is slightly over your comfort zone for relaxing, sleeping, etc.

If the Stax are bright, that means volume cant be turned up, since the highs will simply not allow it :D.

Thx LCD-2 were my favorite in this department. They also sounded very well on very low volumes (that surprised me a lot), but they sound so similar to the HE-400, that I would get them after i sell the HE-400, and Ill go for stax first :D.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #5,217 of 5,854
  It kinda makes sense that the HE-1000 would be simply an improvement over something like the higher end hifimans. After all, its the same technology, the same sound signature house.
The HE-400 are for sure not perfect, in fact in some cases they have a distortion I can clearly point out now, but they are no way near as low end as some of the other headphones I used over the years.

When I jumped from a sennheiser HD380 Pro ro the HE-400 I thought I just found a portal to another dimension (Wish this would happen in other parts of my life as well, you know).
But when I was listening to the HE-560, I was simply thinking: Id like to test some other things with this, to see if it still does more things better or if its just my imagination that im hearing things better.

Thats an insanely huge gap in performance improvement. 

I dont expect the stax to be that sort of a jump, but Id expect it to get me something that would open my view on music and games again (especially games, I will never understand how gamers can use weak audio gear, its just 5 times more realistic to have awesome sound).

I actually like dark headphones, but I cant say that the HE-400 is dark. In most cases it will be but it has some peaks in the treble that can make it rather annoying (in fact I eq'd my PC to get a little smoother treble for it).
That being said, there is no point in buying a HP that is "like the one I have", so if the stax is Neutral (thats actually what I search for now).
However, if its actually bright, It might not be for me.
I like to listen to games and music at loud volumes sometimes (one song per day at most, rest at lower volumes).
I cant specify in dB, but I consider loud anything that is slightly over your comfort zone for relaxing, sleeping, etc.

If the Stax are bright, that means volume cant be turned up, since the highs will simply not allow it :D.

Thx LCD-2 were my favorite in this department. They also sounded very well on very low volumes (that surprised me a lot), but they sound so similar to the HE-400, that I would get them after i sell the HE-400, and Ill go for stax first :D.

Eh...personally I'd go for the HE-6 over the HE1000, and it's not because of the price difference. The HE-6 (and Abyss too) just sounds more direct and straightforward.

If any headphone is too bright for you, you can tame that with EQ and mods.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #5,218 of 5,854

Eh...personally I'd go for the HE-6 over the HE1000, and it's not because of the price difference. The HE-6 (and Abyss too) just sounds more direct and straightforward.

If any headphone is too bright for you, you can tame that with EQ and mods.

Its true you can Eq or mod, but it requires both a lot of time and knowledge (I have the first, not the second) in order not to kill some of the strong points of the HPs.
I simply dont have the skill to get it right :D.
I would like to get a stax instead of the HE-6 thou (the HE-6 is not only expensive, but you need a strong amp :D,)

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #5,219 of 5,854
  Its true you can Eq or mod, but it requires both a lot of time and knowledge (I have the first, not the second) in order not to kill some of the strong points of the HPs.
I simply dont have the skill to get it right :D.
I would like to get a stax instead of the HE-6 thou (the HE-6 is not only expensive, but you need a strong amp :D,)

No worries, just follow these guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

I feel the same way, but I will probably end up going straight for the SR-009 and perhaps get the SR-207 as a backup. (Still want the Abyss and HE-6 eventually.)

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #5,220 of 5,854

No worries, just follow these guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

I feel the same way, but I will probably end up going straight for the SR-009 and perhaps get the SR-207 as a backup. (Still want the Abyss and HE-6 eventually.)

Im not getting more than 3 hps (excluding IEMs for sport, but of those only need 1), this hobby gets stupidly expensive, real fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back